Known Risks

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
I'm done here. Read the law. Know the possibilities. Make your own informed decisions. Everything else is simply speculation.
Me too!!!! Anyone with a brain knows why Todd posted what he did.......we can not allow this board to progress as other boards have. The blatant posting of pictures and comments about ordering/receiving illigal goods is ill advised.
Case closed!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
gentlemen...I never meant to cause such a ruckus with my question...Shawn, you are right, I am indeed a teacher, an non-tenured one (for the next four months anyway) at that. That being said, I am aware of a glaring character flaw I exhibit on a regular basis, that is putting too much pressure on myself and my success, sometimes, like this scenario, to the point of paranoia.

Your are right, I undoubtly have nothing to worry about, hence I won't and won't lose sleep over the issue, unless of course I find a letter in my mailbox which would advice me to do otherwise. I do appreciate your honest and frank response, as well as your offer to lend a hand if the situation were to ever arise for me. Nice to know the fine brothers of this community are willing to lend a hand and support even the greenest of CC newbies.

Todd- Your post definately did go a long way to educate me about the inherent risks I;ve considered taking with some of my actions. I was aware that purchasing CC's is illegal, but like Chuck mentioned, I had always thought of it like speeding...just kind of assumed everyone did it. Now that I have full consideration and appreciation of the possible consequences, I am able to make a more informed decision when faced with the option and consideration.

Thanks again to all the brothers who contributed to my concern, and I apologize again for kicking up such a shit storm. I was simply curious and probably a little over concerned and paranoid.
Exactly my intent. To make sure those that may not have known the risk now know the risks.

Obviously there are a lot of people in the US buying Cuban cigars and most of them are doing so knowing full well the potential pepercussions of doing so.

Now everyone on this board knows what they are getting into if/when they purchase Cuban cigars and they can make an educated decision.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Mentioning that certain "vendors are hot" brings up an interesting question: how does the government KNOW if someone orders something, and what that order may or may not contain?

It is strictly by credit card records? Or maybe shipping records? Surely the vendors themselves--who are out of US jurisdiction--would never provide any purchasing information.

(Mods: I don't think I've crossed any lines with this discussion, but please edit/delete if necessary)
None of that is known Duane. There is a lot of speculation and opinion on it but no one knows for a fact what the answers are.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
Mentioning that certain "vendors are hot" brings up an interesting question: how does the government KNOW if someone orders something, and what that order may or may not contain?

It is strictly by credit card records? Or maybe shipping records? Surely the vendors themselves--who are out of US jurisdiction--would never provide any purchasing information.

(Mods: I don't think I've crossed any lines with this discussion, but please edit/delete if necessary)
Please don't take this wrong...and you questions are legitimate, however you posted previuosly that not having a paper trail is wise......well not posting pictures of recently obtained illegal goods is also not wise.
Just my opinion and advice, not preaching.
Hope you take this positively as it is meant.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I don't believe these were Todd's intentions, though he'll have to answer that one. From what I read, however, I found this thread to be directed towards newer members of our community about a topic that has been buzzing with unfocused innuendo for the past 6 months, and to provide a comprehensive tally of exactly what we know to be the thrust of the latest government interventions towards persons who may be involved in the purchase of Cuban cigars.
Exactly Greg.

I just want to make sure that the everyone is aware of the risks and is making an educated decision in what cigars they are buying and collecting.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
anybody wanna help a newbie? Please post (or pm me privately if you are more comfortable) with any advice on how to avoid as much of this mess as possible. Just want to cut my exposure as any wise person would. Thanks!

Moderators and fellow BOTL members- If I have crossed any line with this post, my humble apologies. Edit it to bring it inline.
The best way to avoid any of it is to not buy Cuban cigars...like that is going to happen.

It is your decision to make now. You know the facts so you can way the pros and cons accurately.

Some people are of the opinion that the enforcement offices of the Embargo might monitor online communications...please note I said SOME people are of the OPINION. If you are one of them or you agree with that opinion one sure way to reduce your exposure is to not post pictures of recent purchases or even you collection. Based on my gallery some of you might consider that hypocritical...I guess that answers the question of whether or not I am of the opinion anyone is watching the boards.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Please don't take this wrong...and you questions are legitimate, however you posted previuosly that not having a paper trail is wise......well not posting pictures of recently obtained illegal goods is also not wise.
That is a good point and we could make that board policy.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Ha-ha! You are absolutley correct; don't know why it didn't occur to me in the first place. I guess because I felt "safe" with the purchasing method, it didn't dawn on me that just simple possession is enough...

That is to say, I think I was overtaken by excitment and forgot to use my brain. :rolling:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
:rofl:

I just saw your thread too.

It's okay, most of us have posted pictures before and some continue to do so...others have changed their ways or never have.

It is your choice...just make sure you realize the potential ramifications.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
No need for me to reiterate what others (who are far more knowledgable than me) have already said. But, I will say that it's easy to read the many boards that are online and come away with the impression that it's somehow okay to order Cuban cigars, even if you are a U.S. resident. Folks can be led to believe that the worst that might happen is that your cigars can be confiscated at the border, so just use a vendor who guarantees delivery and you'll be okay.

As with most things in life, if the risk is worth it to you then proceed...but know what you're getting into.

I know that I'm going to be in the minority here, but I for one will not buy Cubans again until the embargo is lifted, although I have put my toe in the water in the past. It is just not right to break my country's laws (even those laws that are Cold War relics) in order to smoke a cigar. There are too many good, solid smokes down at my local B&M.

Anyway, just my $.02 FWIW

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you Todd for the great information. I'm glad you posted this - I definitely agree that we all need to know the possible consequences.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Personally, I don't think posting pics of cuban cigars should be moderated. That's overkill if you ask me. If you want to post pics of your humi full of cubans or recent purchases, etc. then you have the right to do so knowing full well the risks involved. Should car manufacturers limit your car to only do the speed limit?

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
limit speed, no problem really....but if they do that, it's only a matter of time before they limit alcohol! then I become an activist!

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I'm not sure that the Eric and the Mods should be in the business of saving us from ourselves. If I post a pic of my purchases (and the Feds ARE watching the boards) and I get popped, then that's the consequence of my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.