What's new

Lancero battle royale

Which lancero do you like???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
What Pete mentions below is completely correct. The stix you are compairing are two totally different size and shapes and amount of time they last and etc.... The opus PL is a wonderful smoke, one of my favorite opus sizes. The opus PL is the same size as the Cohiba corona especiale and Monte especiale #2 both which are wonderful and very intense start to finish. The El T is a true lancero and should be compared with other true lanceros such as the opus lancero.

The original ELT is staying put. No change to it and will continue production as ELT.
The new ELT has a different band as most have seen. The new blend comes in 6 sizes including another lancero in the new packaging.

Not sure if this is a fair poll to either cigar. Two completely different cigars in every catagory.

Size and shape -different
blend and wrapper -different
strength - way different

I am honored to be included in a poll with Fuente but I wanted to point the differences out.

Thanks for including me.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I'm not a Lancero guy...I like Toro's or Torpedoes. I am curious as to the attraction of these sticks. Do you guys think the Lancero has better flavor or do you just like the feel?
That's interesting because I'm usually not into toro's and especially torpedos. I usually preffer Robustos, Corona gorda, lonsdales...

The Lancero is a different animal altogether. The way I smoke it is different from how I hold it, to the time I take to enjoy it. As far as what I like about it, I think it's primarily to taste the wrapper in all it's glory, but also to have a more concentrated and cooler smoke. Larger ring + larger fire = more heat. I think the amount of heat hitting the tobacco effects the taste as well - I've never had a lancero that tasted 'burnt' or 'ashey' like in nearly every stick with a ring over 54... :dunno:

Actually, I just love to point it at someone while lecturing them in a condescending manor. :rolling: JK!!!

The Opus I love, but they need time to settle - they are always too heavy with the citrus when under 2 years old. The construction is very consistant - never had one that didn't burn & draw perfectly.

The El Triunfador has been the opposite for me: I had a significant portion of bad burning & bad drawing sticks out of my last box (I stored them at 65 & 65). But the flavors of the El Triunfador are absolutely incredible - which ultimately, is why I voted for it.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Another vote for the El T here. AJ pretty much nailed it on the head IMO except I haven't personally had any draw/burn issues with any El T's lately.

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I voted Opus but you are right the Oliva V is awesome and for the $ a bargain.
Haven't had either one. I have an Oliva Serie V Ligero Especial Lancero waiting, and since it won't really fit well in the humi, I'm lookin to smoke it soon!

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
really apples and oranges. size is quite different as previously stated. the pl with a few years is great. rotb, the el t is a better smoke for me. and who knows what it may be in a few years????? that wrapper seems to get better and better.
never liked lanceros in the past. probably because they were so poorly constructed. but when they are done well.........mmmmmm

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I'm not a Lancero guy...I like Toro's or Torpedoes. I am curious as to the attraction of these sticks. Do you guys think the Lancero has better flavor or do you just like the feel?

I have the Opus, but have yetto smoke it, so I won't vote, but it is surprising to see these two side by side. it's like a police line up using different races. but back to the point.

The lancero is my favorite size smoke, and having smoked different sizes of the same lines I can tell the differences. I'll use the Oliva V, The figurado is a nice big cigar that produces lot of smoke, but the wrapper to filler ratio is much differnt than witht the thinner Lancero. The wrapper provides the majority of the flavor in a cigar, so a lancero has a higher wrapper to filler ratio and like was stated above, the wrapper flavor comes out in all it's glory.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I voted for the El triunfador....hands down the better cigar of the two in my opinion.

The Viaje Platino Lancero and the LFD DL Cameroon Lancero are my two favorite, and the My Father Lancero is damn good too.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
The opus pl's when you can find then are outstanding. The El triunfador is a great everyday smoke and is getting better with age.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Really tough choice. My experience with them has been a little different. I thought the Opus was better than the El Tri fresh, but I haven't had an aged one yet. I've smoked more El T's (I had one last night - and it was the best one so far). I'll have to smoke another Opus before I decide. Great poll though, who cares if it's apples and oranges. I have no problem comparing apples and oranges (and really it's more like apples and pears).

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
What Pete mentions below is completely correct. The stix you are compairing are two totally different size and shapes and amount of time they last and etc.... The opus PL is a wonderful smoke, one of my favorite opus sizes. The opus PL is the same size as the Cohiba corona especiale and Monte especiale #2 both which are wonderful and very intense start to finish. The El T is a true lancero and should be compared with other true lanceros such as the opus lancero.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. So it is not a perfect poll or match. Just vote anyway.:dunno:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I eat a lot more apples than oranges, because I like apples much better.

But in this case, I've never had the Opus (is that the orange or the apple, lol?).

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Ok..so I will have to try a lancero now. I just wasn't sure about them because they look so thin as a cigar. I will have to see if I can find the El triunfador too.