What's new

Lancero February 2015

jonnylieberman

Ask Me About Outrage
Rating - 97.5%
53   1   0

An erdm from '98 I believe? I had one or two of these before from a box split and wasn't hugely impressed, but this one tastes really good - vanilla and cedar and musty earthiness. Great with a Willet rye (not the palate wrecker pictured)
I received part of this box and it's funny -- I wasn't a huge fan of the first one I smoked, but then I brought one to Spain with me and sat and had some coffee and really enjoyed the hell out of it.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Day 1: Lost City
Day 2: Fausto
Day 3: La Riqueza
Day 4: Cabaiguan Guapos
Day 5: La Casita Criolla
Day 6: Tat Red
Day 7: Tat Brown, 7-20-4
Day 8: Opus X PL, La Palina Black PL
Day 9: Valeroso
Day 10: Viaje, Tat black PL
Day 11: Snare Drum
Day 12: Pepin Blue
Day 13: La Aurora 107
Day 14: MF #4, BOTL 2012

#2 tonight:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423979572.959702.jpg

My one and only, very first BOTL 2012 lancero, patiently saved for February.

It's got a bit of wrapper damage, but burning well and what can I say? Besides I wish I had another 100 of these?

Tons of chewy smoke. Savory beyond belief. The only thing it compares to is a RA Edición Limitada 2011.

The wrapper tastes amazing. Like a porkchop grilled over wood. The warm California night, all alone, is a perfect place to enjoy this and reflect on the Brotherhood and all the good that has come from it for me. And I hope to give back as much as I can.

What were these like fresh? There's no way they were this smooth. The smoke is living in my sinus. Not retrohaling all the way through would be a sin.

Ranked top to bottom thus far:

Lost City
Opus X PL
BOTL 2012
La Riqueza
7-20-4
La Aurora 107
Tat brown
MF #4
La Palina Black PL
Viaje
Tat Black PL
Pepin Blue
La Casita Criolla
Snare Drum
Valeroso
Cabaiguan Guapos
Tat red
Fausto

Rating - 100%
42   0   0

Finally getting around to posting my mini review of this stick.
La musa movoa (?)lancero by Emilio.
Didn't keep track of who gifted this, but thank you.

It's a beautifully wrapped cigar in a dark chocolate habano wrapper. After cutting off the pigtail and putting flame to it, I immediately got a strong pepper taste with some cedar and almond undertones. I'm not a big pepper fan, but found that I liked this one due to the accompanying flavors. Luckily, heading towards the 2/3 the pepper faded into the background. The cedar also became less noticeable, as a dark cherry and cocoa flavor introduced themselves. Now this has turned into a damn fine smoke. One thing that I loved about this cigar is that despite being a lance, I could leave it sitting there for some time, and it wouldn't go out. I tried to retrohale it after the pepper died down. Big mistake, nearly cried as my nasal passage was nearly murdered by a very strong pepper. Found that weird...but oh well. The rest of the cigar stayed consistent in flavor, and burned flawlessly. This jumped way up in the list

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424021336.974771.jpg
Natural Ninfamaniac to start my day.

If you haven't got time to fully appreciate a Lancero, why not try a Ninfamaniac. (Shameless plug for my MN boys at Crux)

Really dough, these are a wonderful smoke that take less than 45 minutes to smoke. Not a cigar that you can pull on but rather 'sip'. (Stole that term from thejavaman...). Wonderful flavors from the cigar, but because of the wrapper:filler/binder ratio being very high, the flavor of the Habano wrapper dominates. Don't expect much in body transitions because of this, but do expect a very well constructed smoke, especially for its size. Not a Lancero so it doesn't fit in the thread, but it sure fits if you are short on time and in the mood for something a little different..!
Rated:91
http://cruxcigars.com/index.cfm/crux-ninfamaniac

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Back into Lancero Feb with a My Father No. 4 courtesy of @3/5King.

Wrapper had a few veins but apart from that it was great, seams were tight with a nice triple cap.
All the way through this smoke was as smooth as silk, little hints of pepper here and there but nothing like overpowering. Some cedar and some earthy flavours throughout. The No.4 just subtlely morphed all the way through, nothing crazy, just a relaxed thoroughly enjoyable smoke and I'm already looking forward to another when I can. Thanks Dave!

Rating - 100%
71   0   0

BLTC Morphine

The look of this stick reminds me a lot of the L40. Seems to be well put together, but felt hard as a brick bat to the touch. I was thinking "no way this thing doesn't have a super tight draw." The prelight draw felt tight, but it actually turned out manageable. Smoke output was decent. Ash would only hold on for MAYBE 1/2". The flavor of this stick was very bland and simply not enjoyable. In fact, if I didn't already have plans for this mini review, I would have mucked it about halfway. Started out with just a charred taste, kinda made me think of charcoal. After the halfway point it smoothed out a little, but never really redeemed it self. Just more char and a generalized tobacco taste. I'd give it another shot just because every stick deserves a second look, but I wouldn't have high expectations at all.
Final score: meh

Last edited:

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Speaking of crack...
(Insert Wal-Mart 'babe' pic here) JK

Herrera Estelli 2014 Edition Limitada Lancero
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424038396.768605.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424038405.218492.jpg
If anyone pays attention to the shit I spew here, they've heard me on multiple occasions refer to this as the top cigar in 2014. My reasons are simple:
-Always consistent
-Great flavor profile
-Changed what I thought of HE cigars
-For whatever reason, I wanted my top cigar of the year to be long and skinny
For me, this cigar starts full with nice butterscotch and graham cracker flavors. The graham cracker note pretty much dominates the length of the stick with a nice floral note that ramps up towards the end. It ends with a medium full strength. I retro the majority of this smoke and my nostril nerves end up none too happy, but it's sooo good, I make the sacrifice for tangy French roast coffee notes. I've always found the HE wrapper to be touchy or somewhat delicate, but the lancero wrapper seems to me like it's more beefy. To that end, I have way less burn issues with the lance than other HE offerings.
Rated:93

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Contest Update:

Most mini reviews to date:
Señor Perfecto

Reached the 5 minimum mini review for an entry into the draw:
Señor Perfecto
SirSpanksalot
Trackmyer

In the hunt for an entry:
3/5 King
jonboy
Mossome
Musicman
Dharbolt
BenVolioMustDie
Lomey

Too lazy to type so here's a pic of the manual tabulations to date. Let me know if you beleive you've done a 'mini review' and your tally is wrong. I was being extremely generous in some cases.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424041009.909666.jpg

Let's keep them long skinnies smoking folks! Thx for participating. There are some stellar reviews so far. If someone reads one review and thinks 'based on this, I should grab a few of those', we've succeeded!!

Thx..
Doug

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Also, for those that haven't participated yet, it's not too late to burn 5 Lanceros and give a short review to be entered for a "5'r". Also, reviews of sticks that have already been reviewed are more than welcome.

Keep your stick on the ice,
Doug

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
I've had a vicious cold starting February 1st and now I'm either congested or runny ever since ... Lancero February lasts all year long right?
Although I encourage yall to smoke the hell outa these all year long like I do, this specific contest ends on the last day of February.

Get well soon Matt. Hit up CVS for some drugs and put that cold to bed! Lipton Chicken Noodle soup and plenty of liquids for a home remedy.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0

Holy nicotine batman.

Chewed on this pl for a few minutes before lighting and it made my lips tingle.
Big body, peppery on the retro has a dark vegetative matter (meaty) quality to it. Reminiscent of a T110 . After about an inch the pepper ramped up. Did I say big body? At about the half way point some earth joined the meat and pepper. Great smoke, not for the timid though.

Dark chocolate oily wrapper great construction. Burn and draw are spot on.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Lancero February:
Stick #1: L40 by Drew Estates
Stick #2: 2014 TAA by CyB
Stick #3: 2012 Illusione Holy Lance
Stick #4: DPG Original Blue
Stick #5: Room 101 Master Collection One Mutante
Stick #6: Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970
Stick #7: Viaje Oro
Stick #8: BLTC Morphine
Stick #9: AVO Heritage
Stick #10: Headley Grange Drumstick

This is a very good stick. Nice build, firm feel, and a good burn. Top it off with a great flavor, and this is for sure a keeper. One of the sticks that just hasn't disappointed me yet. Woody, creamy, little spicy.. Very nice overall.