Stick #4: DPG Original Blue
Stick #5: Room 101 Master Collection One Mutante
Stick #6: Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970
Stick #7: Viaje Oro
Stick #8: BLTC Morphine
Stick #9: AVO Heritage
Stick #10: Headley Grange Drumstick
Stick #11: 2014 Illusione Holy Lance

So this morning I had a good 2 1/2 hour drive to the first customer of the day. Perfect time to enjoy this gem.

Overall dominate flavors was a combo of nuttiness with toasted tobacco. Burned well, plenty of smoke. Creamy smooth draws that never wavered.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
No BM's carry them cause we bought them all...you know because of febuary and all ...it's like field of dreams "if u post your address they will come"
--- this had me laughing pretty hard! Ive never had a lancero but they look awesome! Im a big fan of petit coronas. Most of the longer cigars ive had seem to give me a hard time on the draw until there about halfway through. Am I doing something wrong or is it just because there crappier cigars? If I have this experience will the lanceros be similar?

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
--- this had me laughing pretty hard! Ive never had a lancero but they look awesome! Im a big fan of petit coronas. Most of the longer cigars ive had seem to give me a hard time on the draw until there about halfway through. Am I doing something wrong or is it just because there crappier cigars? If I have this experience will the lanceros be similar?
depends on how open a draw you desire. You're not going to get, or want, a wide open draw on a lance. You need to smoke them slowly, methodically, to get the best from the vitola. Its very easy to ruin the cigar by running too fast. All of the high end lanceros I've had, have had a very similar draw.
I'd imagine given the length and lack of girth, plugging or a tight draw would be an easy problem to run into with them If rolled incorrectly or even if over humidified.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
depends on how open a draw you desire. You're not going to get, or want, a wide open draw on a lance. You need to smoke them slowly, methodically, to get the best from the vitola. Its very easy to ruin the cigar by running too fast. All of the high end lanceros I've had, have had a very similar draw.
I'd imagine given the length and lack of girth, plugging or a tight draw would be an easy problem to run into with them If rolled incorrectly or even if over humidified.
I like a mouthful of smoke. Ive had good luck with cohiba coronas and smaller ring gauge punches. maybe the others were too wet

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lancero February:
Stick #1: L40 by Drew Estates
Stick #2: 2014 TAA by CyB
Stick #3: 2012 Illusione Holy Lance
Stick #4: DPG Original Blue
Stick #5: Room 101 Master Collection One Mutante
Stick #6: Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970
Stick #7: Viaje Oro
Stick #8: BLTC Morphine
Stick #9: AVO Heritage
Stick #10: Headley Grange Drumstick
Stick #11: 2014 Illusione Holy Lance

So this morning I had a good 2 1/2 hour drive to the first customer of the day. Perfect time to enjoy this gem.

Overall dominate flavors was a combo of nuttiness with toasted tobacco. Burned well, plenty of smoke. Creamy smooth draws that never wavered.
Almost grabbed one of those at the B&M today, may have to go back get a couple.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Day 1: Lost City
Day 2: Fausto
Day 3: La Riqueza
Day 4: Cabaiguan Guapos
Day 5: La Casita Criolla
Day 6: Tat Red
Day 7: Tat Brown, 7-20-4
Day 8: Opus X PL, La Palina Black PL
Day 9: Valeroso
Day 10: Viaje, Tat black PL
Day 11: Snare Drum
Day 12: Pepin Blue
Day 13: La Aurora 107
Day 14: MF #4, BOTL 2012
Day 15: Nat Sherman 1930 8x38 "super lancero"
Day 16: Fonseca Cubano Limitado

Last night:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424139822.342282.jpg

Bought at Nat Sherman 42nd St. NYC in November. $15.

Pretty, dark brown wrapper with quite a bit of oil sheen. Lumpy. Some veins. No seams.

Perfect easy draw. Medium pack.

Heavy, somewhat oily smoke. Tastes "fresh." Reminds me of a UF-13. Nicaraguan & Dominican, Dominican wrapper. Blended by Quesada which makes sense; it's heavily focused on the low, full end of the flavor spectrum: oil, bitter dark cocoa, a hint of molasses. Aside from smoke production, which is adequate, I'd say they were taking aim at Unicos here, and largely succeeding. I don't really need the extra inch, but I'm hoping it provides extra transition space.

Starts harsh.

Better and more complex after an inch; the ash is more than ready to drop away-- roll it off after 3/4" if you're smart. Let's see where this goes.

Finally into the 2nd 3rd (super lancero indeed) and the harshness is all but gone, and the cocoa comes into its own. No heat at all (no pepper) and retrohaling is silky smooth. I'm waiting for more flavor complexity, but my impression is that this is a high-end lancero that could be sublime with a few years on it.

Problem: for $150, you can get 12 HE lances or 9 Goldie Laguitos or 15 Drumsticks, which are all bona-fide right now... or 10 of these. "Potential" is not enough for $15.

Currently burning:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424139996.483366.jpg

Fonseca Cubano Limitado lancero.

Dominican filler, Nica binder, Honduran Habano wrapper. Another Quesada lancero that doesn't say "Quesada" on it, but half the price of the Nat Sherman. Let's see how the taste and construction compare.

Wrapper gives off leather. Cutting the cap makes it exude some generic dark sweetness.

Immediately like the flavor. High sweet and citrus notes, straight off lighting up. Good smoke output. Tasty tasty! I'm pretty sure I picked this up at Nat Sherman in November as well, so it's been sitting as long as the other Quesada-rolled stick. But this one... delicious. There's no cream at present, but some baking spices and sweet sweet earthy citrus. The wrapper is by contrast savory on the lips. Retrohaling is a breeze.

Boy. This is a $7.50 smoke? It's as pleasant of a surprise as the 7-20-4, but maybe a shade better. Find one. I will be.

Ranked top to bottom thus far:

Lost City
Opus X PL
BOTL 2012
Fonseca Cubano Limitado lancero.
La Riqueza
7-20-4
La Aurora 107
Tat brown
MF #4
La Palina Black PL
Viaje
Tat Black PL
Pepin Blue
La Casita Criolla
Nat Sherman 1930 8x38 "super lancero"
Snare Drum
Valeroso
Cabaiguan Guapos
Tat red
Fausto

Last edited:

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Also, for those that haven't participated yet, it's not too late to burn 5 Lanceros and give a short review to be entered for a "5'r". Also, reviews of sticks that have already been reviewed are more than welcome.

Keep your stick on the ice,
Doug
What lances haven't been reviewed yet? ;)

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Such as this...
7-20-4 1874
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424148293.000159.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424148305.116325.jpg
Tasty cigar. I really like the reg 7-20-4 line so I was hoping this would be similar. It's a richer, fuller cigar but lack the awesome flavor changes that the reg 7-20-4 has. Still a great smoke that should be tried regardless of whether you are a fan of the reg line. Nice coffee notes as well as a sweetness of the Maduro wrapper.
Rated:89