77   0   0
image.jpg

Ortega Serie D Lancero 6 1/2 X 38

Mexican San Andreas Maduro Wrapper
Nicaraguan binder and filled

Rolled at the My Father Factory

Pig tailed triple cap
Beautiful dark roasted wrapper

A very bright and organic, well designed band that contrasts nicely against the dark San Andreas wrapper.

Earth, laced with minerals, slightly nutty, a light pruned fruit sweetness...it comes together into what reminds me of Amarula Cream an African Cream liquor..but smooth, dark and earthy, without the bite of alcohol. There is just the right amount of pepper on the retro to go with this profile. The ash is beautifully white and just adds to the canvas of art that this stick is painting.

The middle has opened the profile to more grit and spice. Still a creamy pruned fruit sweetness, toasty and still reminiscent of Amarula...the minerals and earth remain as well as the nuttiness that mingles with the cream wonderfully. The body and strength has built their way to medium and the burn line hasn't even thought to waiver.

It's right around dusk, the air outside is filled with snow and I am watching my favorite new series, Grimm.. And to add into the mix, a cigar such as the Ortega Serie D Lancero, has made this moment in time memorable. When a good cigar makes you look around, breathe in your surroundings and take note of life's little pleasures... You know you've just found a piece of history in the making. It might not be in anyone's else's books but will be remembered in mine and noted as a special cigar, one that in the future, will be talked about fondly in warm conversations with my many new found friends and brothers of the leaf.

In the final third the sweetness has taken on the tone of molasses and the retro finishes with a woody spice that bites. The creaminess has pulled back a bit as I get close to the nub and the cigar starts to find a little heat. The earth and minerals stay true to the end. This cigar is truly a piece of art. Eddy Ortega is an artist and I can't wait to see what the future holds with his new endeavors. Perfect profile, perfect construction and burn adorned with a gorgeous presentation. In the new world of cigars, strewn with LE's and hard to finds... I hope this Lancero doesn't find its way onto the extinction list and becomes a staple among the other sizes in this series. If not, I can thank BigBill72 for giving me an experience...because that's what this cigar truly is. Maybe I find myself in an enchanted mood and this cigar was just in the right place at the right time but Lancero February might not get much better than this.

The nub finishes with a creamy, smokey sweet and woody pipe tobacco profile...thank you Mr. Ortega..

Smoke time: 1hr 30mins

Score: 95

image.jpg

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422814542.589995.jpg
Here goes my mini review...

Always love the El Triunfador me. Lovely notes of toast and caramel dominate the flavor profile throughout. Zero burn issues or relights on this 1 hour 25 minute smoke. Not very complex, but full flavor and medium strength throughout.
Great Sunday morning + a cup of coffee stick. A solid 88.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
La Paulina Black Label Petite Lancero

This is a very full bodied smoke. Rich and creamy through the end. It has the suryupy, molasses sweetness that reminds me of pipe tobacco. The tobacco also has a barrel aged feel to it.. The profile stays consistent through out the duration of the smoke. Mixing in a touch of complexity or maybe I should say the flavors that are present have great depth. There is a good amount of pepper on the retro if you're taking good puffs but dies way back to reveal the dark, creamy syrupy sweetness if you finesse it. There's also a bit of peanut tangling with the cream in the final third that I really enjoyed. Solid smoke, middle of the road on strength and a cigar that would be best enjoyed after dinner, with a strong beverage. The stick had a few burn issues along the way but nothing to get worked up over. Very enjoyable. 90

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Dammit. Day one - sick. No smoking.

I'm going to have to catch up when I'm healthy... and I was looking forward to this, too.