What's new

Las Calaveras..........

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it really a $10 buck cigar? seems like everyone now thinks "their" cigar is a $10 stick? really...............

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't come up with anything, all I asked after smoking one was if anyone else thought it was not worthy of $10. Just like a burger at McDonald's isn't worth paying someone $15 an hour to make it.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
You called out "Everyone" in your post and have a pretty strong opinion about how much cigars should cost (or should I say, how much they shouldn't cost) that I figured you had an idea of what they should cost and what you would base it on. What should the Las Calaveras cost and why? I take it you don't feel you got your $10 bucks worth? Why not give Jon Hubner some healthy criticism to work off of, rather than throw out a deflated comment that puts down cigar makers for selling $10 dollar cigars?

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
It's worth it if you enjoy the blend. It's also supporting a company that gives back to fellow BOTLs and has arguably some of the best customer service I've seen. I enjoy them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the error in my post. Thanks for getting me back in the ballpark, I didn't meant to be demeaning but I thought the flavor profile for me personally wasn't where I wanted it. I wanted just a little more kick

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Also have to qualify box vs single. At a b&m, I would pay $10 for a stick I wouldn't pay $250 a box for. Not many box purchases are worth $10 a stick for me.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I can see the error in my post. Thanks for getting me back in the ballpark, I didn't meant to be demeaning but I thought the flavor profile for me personally wasn't where I wanted it. I wanted just a little more kick
Completely understood. I like a cigar with some good kick too. I never smoke less than medium strength and prefer a strong stick. Who doesn't like a good buzz to go along with the flavor profile lol? Hubner hasn't put anything out with any real kick too it, I've felt his sticks were all a solid medium through out his lines but his blends are tasty, burn well and like Stukibuilt said, he is a BOTL through and through, with great customer service to boot.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Price shouldn't be based on how much kick the cigar has. Different palates have different preferences, and Huber & Co. seem to be targeting palates with an appreciation for medium strength and complexity.

I'd put the Las Calaveras against just about any $10 non-cuban out there right now. Personally, I think it stands up to almost any NC out there right now, regardless of price range.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
What til you see what happens when the FDA drops the hammer on our cigars

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The answer is purely subjective, which is why you should buy a few singles of a new cigar before you buy a box. You try it and if you like it then you may see $10 as a fair price. If you do not like it then you would think it is too expensive and would find other places to spend your money. I used to say I would never spend more than $5 on a cigar, then I was introduced to opus x and some padrons and pepins. Now I don't price shop, I try a new cigar and if I like it then it's worth the price. The only absolute is that price doesn't always determine quality and we can use Rocky Patel cigars as an example. His stuff is overpriced and stinks. As for the las calaveras I would appreciate those bad boys until they are gone because they are one of the five best this year.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was concerned with how expensive I thought the Papas Fritas was. However, while smoking and loving my first one ever, I would gladly pay more for it if I had to.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Price shouldn't be based on how much kick the cigar has. Different palates have different preferences, and Huber & Co. seem to be targeting palates with an appreciation for medium strength and complexity.

I'd put the Las Calaveras against just about any $10 non-cuban out there right now. Personally, I think it stands up to almost any NC out there right now, regardless of price range.
Always enjoy your posts and it saves me taking up writing space when I read yours. Just to amplify a bit more as to what the Poster is talking about and I can appreciate the dilemma as to the cost of certain cigars esp. when they aren't in my wheelhouse of what I like. Nothing worse than spending good money on any product that tends to feel like you got taken and this occurs with everything in life and it's the smart person who will educate themselves before ever spending a dime on any product. For those who don't want to feel like they are being gouged or taken advantage of there are a few things to consider:

1. Find out what type of cigar you like.....complex, mild to full....large RG vs small RG
2. Follow those brothers who you know that share similar tastes that you have....
I did this years ago and it saved me a ton of money rather than trying out so many
cigars that just didn't do it for me....when I followed their lead I was enjoying more
cigars that were in my wheelhouse of flavors.
3. Don't buy boxes of cigars...if anything purchase 3 to 5 cigars and try them over a period
of time...first one at 30 days...2nd one at 60...3rd at 90 and so on as this will give you
a good indication as to how it might change and thus get better over time.

Understand one thing as well...if you are pretty new to cigars or even if you've been smoking for a few years your tastes WILL change...and that means your association of flavors to a particular cigar will change as well. What I hated 20 years ago I really like today and age is also against us as grow older...our taste buds die off and that changes our perception of taste altogether. Lucky for us hobbyists is that there are so many brands of cigars we will never run out of product. Lastly...I love Las Calaveras cigars and Crowned Heads for that matter...Jon Huber is almost like a chemist when it comes to targeting the masses as far a what we like in a cigar tasting so good and IMO will be one of those people to look at in the years to come. While you can't please all of the people all the time he's been able to come out with hit after hit and that is a Babe Ruth moment as far as being able to get it right when he comes up to the plate.