What's new

latkia/english blends aren't that great.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'm on the fence myself, it's ok, but it just doesn't get my blood boiling the same way it seems to some of you. There I said it, I could live without latkia! Change my mind....

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
I agree with you. Though there are a few that are really good. Brebbia Balkan, Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend, C&D Big n Burley, Morley's Best, Sunset Harbor Flake, Druquer & Sons Levant Mixture, F&K Lancers Slices, GLP Chelsea Morning, Gaslight, Key Largo, Quiet Nights, Captain Earle's Reflections, HU Manyara are a few standouts for me.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Loved them at first, they were my favorites hands down, but sometime this summer they just stopped doing it for me, (with the exception of some of those burley based blends @ak2000 mentioned)

I’ve heard and kinda suspect I’ll agree, that they seem a little more suited and desirable in fall weather. We shall see...

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I’m not a huge fan of Latakia, although it does have a place in my rotation, it’s usually my first bowl of the day as I don’t seem to care for it that much in the evenings . Just like any other genre there are some I like a lot and some not so much.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Latakia is a wonderful thing. Murray's 1A Linfield, Frog Morton's Across the Pond, Mclelland Mixture No. 14, C&D's Awakened Elder, Blue Mountain... And the best blend I mixed myself was some Gawith Hoggarth straight latakia mixed with equal parts Brown Bogie and Black XX. My #1 favorite blend is Mclelland 40th Anni, but my favorite type of leaf is latakia.

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
A lot of new pipesmokers, especially cigar smokers, seem to gravitate toward Latakia blends when they first get into smoking a pipe. Latakia Blends smoke cooler than VA blends; those take cadence to not get tongue burn and optimal flavor. Many pipesmokers transition from English to VA and VA/Pers only to put English blends back into rotation in the cooler months.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I smoke what my tastes tell me....and that means test a lot of different blends....just like with cigars. I guess we can chase any number of popular blends or what others like but that doesn't tell me what it is that I like. The fun is looking for what we enjoy....it can be a popularity hobby that makes us indulge ourselves in most anything....but we really want to indulge ourselves in something satisfying and just because something is popular doesn't guarantee that we'll like it....it's always the journey and exploration.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
A lot of new pipesmokers, especially cigar smokers, seem to gravitate toward Latakia blends when they first get into smoking a pipe. Latakia Blends smoke cooler than VA blends; those take cadence to not get tongue burn and optimal flavor. Many pipesmokers transition from English to VA and VA/Pers only to put English blends back into rotation in the cooler months.
Excellent point! I started with English/Latakia blends because of cigars for sure.

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Latakia is a wonderful thing. Murray's 1A Linfield, Frog Morton's Across the Pond, Mclelland Mixture No. 14, C&D's Awakened Elder, Blue Mountain... And the best blend I mixed myself was some Gawith Hoggarth straight latakia mixed with equal parts Brown Bogie and Black XX. My #1 favorite blend is Mclelland 40th Anni, but my favorite type of leaf is latakia.
As some may have guessed, there's more to this friendly conversation than meets the eye! @jj16361 , you seem to really like latkia, so send me your addy, I got a very generous sampler of several lat blends when I first started piping. After trying them out, and deciding it's not for me, I asked @ScottyB if I could pass it on to someone who would enjoy it more than myself! You convinced me that you're the right guy for this bomb!

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
As some may have guessed, there's more to this friendly conversation than meets the eye! @jj16361 , you seem to really like latkia, so send me your addy, I got a very generous sampler of several lat blends when I first started piping. After trying them out, and deciding it's not for me, I asked @ScottyB if I could pass it on to someone who would enjoy it more than myself! You convinced me that you're the right guy for this bomb!

Smooth!

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Appreciate the trade offer! But this is just paying a gift forward so it doesn't go unloved!