What's new

Let's Talk, BOTL and mental health

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
if any of y'all are on the outside looking in on this thread... if you have never been there, it is amazing how four months can seem to drag on, and still pass in the blink of an eye. and it is amazing how easy it can be to cut yourself off.

if any of y'all are on the inside looking out, REACH OUT. call, chat, PM, meet face to face, whatever. trust me, NO ONE is going to worry about the 15, 30 minutes, two hours (thanks for the "short" phone calls), and it helps anchor you.

TRUST ME. it's not they don't want to hear from you. it's that you (me as well) are afraid of reaching out to them. and it is painless, and shameless, when you do, once you actually cross that threshold of fear. dial a phone. drop a line. lay an anchor towards a stable shore. please.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
if any of y'all are on the outside looking in on this thread... if you have never been there, it is amazing how four months can seem to drag on, and still pass in the blink of an eye. and it is amazing how easy it can be to cut yourself off.

if any of y'all are on the inside looking out, REACH OUT. call, chat, PM, meet face to face, whatever. trust me, NO ONE is going to worry about the 15, 30 minutes, two hours (thanks for the "short" phone calls), and it helps anchor you.

TRUST ME. it's not they don't want to hear from you. it's that you (me as well) are afraid of reaching out to them. and it is painless, and shameless, when you do, once you actually cross that threshold of fear. dial a phone. drop a line. lay an anchor towards a stable shore. please.
^^^^^^ yup. Throw them anchors fellas, whenever you need and know that I have a dock for you waiting whenever, 24/7. Thank you for the post Sean.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Thank you for the post Sean.
fuck my post, THANK Y'ALL.

1) we have a safe enough community that we can HAVE this thread.
2)we have a ton of members who would (and have, and will again) reach out to you, independent of anything strictly forum-related, just to check in on someone, make sure the lights are still on.
3)brent was smart enough to start this topic, and enough of us have cared to keep it alive, just as a beacon to those in need.

MY post was just a basic admission of stupidity, when i knew i had somewhere to go and wouldn't reach out for it. the longer you wait, the harder it gets, be it friends, family, adopted internet family, whatever. but they WILL be there when you chose to reach out. take it as a negative example: don't be this guy.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Ditto on the love @javajunkie. You and I have had minimal contact over the time I've been here, but, and this goes to all of the brothers, well, maybe not @Hoshneer, I don't want any more nipple pics on my phone, reach out, read previous post by me here, I've been there. I am more than happy to answer a call at any hour.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I got love for all my Brothers. If anyone ever needs to talk, or just have someone listen… I'm right here. You can send me a PM, and I will give you my phone number. You can call, text, email or send me a smoke signal.

I am ALWAYS available to you.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Does anyone else here deal with S.A.D.? (Seasonal Affective Disorder). I'm generally a very positive guy despite life's difficulties. But these past couple of weeks, the winter blues have been hitting hard. My doctor says it's normal and prescribes 10,000 I.U. of vitamin D daily; maybe I need more. It doesn't help that the skies in Buffalo are grey for 5 months straight. Just invested in some special daylight-spectrum lighting (which is supposed to help). I keep telling myself there's light at the end of the tunnel. There always is. (y)

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Does anyone else here deal with S.A.D.? (Seasonal Affective Disorder). I'm generally a very positive guy despite life's difficulties. But these past couple of weeks, the winter blues have been hitting hard. My doctor says it's normal and prescribes 10,000 I.U. of vitamin D daily; maybe I need more. It doesn't help that the skies in Buffalo are grey for 5 months straight. Just invested in some special daylight-spectrum lighting (which is supposed to help). I keep telling myself there's light at the end of the tunnel. There always is. (y)
Nothing can go on forever my friend. I can not say that I am effected that much but I do get down when its been cold and grey for several days in a row. Luckily for me the weather here changes every couple days and I can snap out of it. If you need to get your mind off of things I am sure I speak for all of us when I say dial a number and we can talk. If you need mine just pm me.
Take care my friend.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Nothing can go on forever my friend. I can not say that I am effected that much but I do get down when its been cold and grey for several days in a row. Luckily for me the weather here changes every couple days and I can snap out of it. If you need to get your mind off of things I am sure I speak for all of us when I say dial a number and we can talk. If you need mine just pm me.
Take care my friend.
Thanks a million brother. I sincerely appreciate it.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Zippo I second EO80. If ya need to talk just Pm I will send you my phone number. While I do not suffer fron SAD I do seem to be solar powered. Much more positive when sunny out. We are here to just be a sounding board if needed.
Same here....the Sun is an energizer for me. I think it's because it represents "life" in my mind, my subconscious - my dna. Any string of grey days has the opposite affect on me.

I'm not sure if this is related, but I've also realized that when it is cold and gray out, when I won't go outside because of the weather… I tend to be looking at things that are relatively close. Things that are no more than a few feet away or perhaps 20 feet away. whereas when the weather breaks, and I'm outside… I'm looking at things that are sometimes 100 feet or more away, trees, birds in the sky… and I wonder if that longer focal length has any affect on our psyche.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Good to hear my friend and congratulations! It's no easy task but when God strikes the fear of losing the ones we love dearly, most of us fight back...and you made it. You finally fought the right fight...glad to have you find your way here today, sober and alive.
Yeah man, feeling like I would lose my wife was a big one for me. It's strange how friends passing never seemed to really change my habits, but hey, I'm glad I found what did.
Now life is way more clear.
And even though I don't have much money for cigars, the money that I don't spend on booze and drugs can be appropriately spent on sticks!
Thanks again.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
This winter has been rough on me mentally and physically. Mostly due to the weather and snow. With my back issues, have had 5 surgeries, I really have a rough time after I snowblow. For a day or two after I clean up the snow, my back, hips and legs are so painful that my wife has to help me shower, get dressed, take care of the dog and cat as well as all the household things that need done. That really wears me down mentally and physically that I need so much help. I've been on anti-depressants for about a year now and they help a lot. I'm fortunate that I found cigars as a hobby as it is something I enjoy immensely even when I have my bad pain days. This website provides me with so much enjoyment that when having a bad day, it really picks me up to get on here.