What's new

Let's Talk, BOTL and mental health

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Thought I would bump this thread. It's that time of the year when ppl start feeling stress and other things just letting you all know we are here for you.
JM
And another bump. Holidays can be very rough for some of us. If anyone feels the need to drink or use, please call or text me before you do. A lot of people already have my number. Feel free to PM me if you need it.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
a little bit off topic.. but...

I frequent only 2 boards.. this one.. and a "military" one...

One of the members of the other board, a combat veteran Marine is having some significant difficulties (emotional, mental, and financial) right now.. and the board is rallying behind him...

If you would like to help, or have anything to offer (money is great, but isnt all that is needed.. we have arranged for professional help, gotten him a place to stay, gotten him assistance with his rescue dog (that also needed a place to stay)).. click the link below and read the website..

I know this guy isnt a BOTL member.. but.. I thought some here might want to see what another online community is doing to help out one of its brothers that fallen down a little bit.. and might want to participate as well..

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/socnet-s-thanksgiving-fund

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Thought I would bump this thread. It's that time of the year when ppl start feeling stress and other things just letting you all know we are here for you.
JM
Always good to see this at the top of the board.

I'm kinda at a weird point in my life right now where I'm feeling TOO happy, which sounds like nonsense. As somebody who tries to be thoughtful way ahead of emotional, and probably tries to prevent myself from being happy, it's kind of freaking me out just how good I'm feeling.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0

I'm kinda at a weird point in my life right now where I'm feeling TOO happy, which sounds like nonsense. As somebody who tries to be thoughtful way ahead of emotional, and probably tries to prevent myself from being happy, it's kind of freaking me out just how good I'm feeling.
That is amazing to hear. I know it is easier said then done but this is a very happy time of the year and being happy only makes it better.

a little bit off topic.. but...

I frequent only 2 boards.. this one.. and a "military" one...

One of the members of the other board, a combat veteran Marine is having some significant difficulties (emotional, mental, and financial) right now.. and the board is rallying behind him...

If you would like to help, or have anything to offer (money is great, but isnt all that is needed.. we have arranged for professional help, gotten him a place to stay, gotten him assistance with his rescue dog (that also needed a place to stay)).. click the link below and read the website..

I know this guy isnt a BOTL member.. but.. I thought some here might want to see what another online community is doing to help out one of its brothers that fallen down a little bit.. and might want to participate as well..

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/socnet-s-thanksgiving-fund
DaVe that is an amazing cause and it is good to see that somewhere else on this vast land we call www there are more brother banding together I'm hoping I can pitch a few bucks in to help.
JM

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
That is amazing to hear. I know it is easier said then done but this is a very happy time of the year and being happy only makes it better.

DaVe that is an amazing cause and it is good to see that somewhere else on this vast land we call www there are more brother banding together I'm hoping I can pitch a few bucks in to help.
JM
This is a great cause. And it is nice to see you use the proper spelling for DaVe's name. Emphasis on V

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
It's important for people to remember that brothers care about you. We are here to help one another and be the best listener and advisor we can be. I know that since returning to the Lord, I have been happier than I have been in years. My life is great, my marriage is great and I am truly blessed. I've already helped 4 different people, 3 of which were seriously contemplating ending their lives. We owe to one another to help each other,

So having said that, if anyone needs to talk, I'm here for you. Send me a pm and I will call if that's what you need. I'm retired so as of now, I have lots of time to help, at least until next year. Then I'll be back working some but still able to help. God bless all of you during these holiday times,

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
...that is unbelievable Brent... Thank-you. I hope I never need to reach out and who knows...you being there might make it less likely that I need to do so. But if I do... I will!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

I agree with this completely. I've been giggling and shit all day...it has felt a bit manic from in my head but fuck it, when happy why try to think myself out of it! Unless it's manic to the point of... He he I'm gonna take on that mack truck, of course!
And I'm not trying to make light of anyone. Personally I know I tend more towards the depressive side so it is easy to not sweat the upswings.

But anyway... I agree totally with mwlabel above and I think it just helps to let out what's going on in my head. I have 2 BOTB that I can say anything to but the one who I see all the time is hurting big time right now and so his perspective is a bit fucked. We spend most of cathartic moments dealing with his shit...which is good right now! But also really, really cool to find this thread today!

Thank-you Brothers...you cease to amaze me!!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
You go through life saying a man has to be tough. A man takes his knocks and stands tall. Rub dirt on it. Shake it off. etc. Then one day it doesn't work. All those coping mechanisms fail. The weight of all those fears, concerns, issues real or imagined crash down on you until you can't breath, and you cant think. You can't dream any more. What then? The inclination is to withdraw. Stay home. Not feeling well. Skip the people interactions. Hide in your pain. Don't do it! You can't do it alone. Talk to someone. Some of us have been there. Hell some of us like me are still there struggling daily. All I know is that you cannot trust the words in your head. Get a second opinion. Ask a friend, a loved one, a pastor, rabbi, a brother. If they agree then its ok. But you know they probably wont. That is why you talk to someone else. To get the truth.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I agree with this completely. I've been giggling and shit all day...it has felt a bit manic from in my head but fuck it, when happy why try to think myself out of it! Unless it's manic to the point of... He he I'm gonna take on that mack truck, of course!
And I'm not trying to make light of anyone. Personally I know I tend more towards the depressive side so it is easy to not sweat the upswings.

But anyway... I agree totally with mwlabel above and I think it just helps to let out what's going on in my head. I have 2 BOTB that I can say anything to but the one who I see all the time is hurting big time right now and so his perspective is a bit fucked. We spend most of cathartic moments dealing with his shit...which is good right now! But also really, really cool to find this thread today!

Thank-you Brothers...you cease to amaze me!!
And of course I meant... You never cease to amaze me, brothers!

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Brothers,

As I sit here an type this I'm really having to resist the urge to delete it, just as I have many times before. But I'm not going to this time because I'm relieved to say that I finally reached out for help and I hope that it may encourage others to do the same. I've got a Dr.'s appt in a few weeks and I really hope to finally get some answers. This is something that I feel I should have done YEARS ago but I've grown up thinking that's not what a man does, just like Chuck said above.

To be honest, if I felt that this was only affecting myself I still probably would not be seeking help. But it has gotten to the point where I know it is affecting my wife and son, and probably the rest of my family an friends as well. For my wife and son, I want to be the best husband and father I can be. For my family and friends, I want to be a fun person to be around. And right now I'm far from it. By all respects I should be happy, I have a beautiful wife, awesome kid, a place to live, job, car, food, clothes, etc...Nothing to complain about, right? I certainly don't thing so. And it's not that I'm unhappy with any of those things, I really couldn't ask for more. But that still doesn't keep me from walking around like a hollow shell of the person I know I can be at the best of times.

I feel I have done my best to deal with this all these years and frankly, I'm tired of it. I don't want to just deal with it anymore, I don't want my family to have to deal with it either. In that aspect, just making an appt has already made it feel like a weight has been lifted.

Hopefully this explains my absence from the board lately and the reason I haven't responded to some of you. I really value this board and the friendships I have made here.

~Geoff

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Brothers,

As I sit here an type this I'm really having to resist the urge to delete it, just as I have many times before. But I'm not going to this time because I'm relieved to say that I finally reached out for help and I hope that it may encourage others to do the same. I've got a Dr.'s appt in a few weeks and I really hope to finally get some answers. This is something that I feel I should have done YEARS ago but I've grown up thinking that's not what a man does, just like Chuck said above.

To be honest, if I felt that this was only affecting myself I still probably would not be seeking help. But it has gotten to the point where I know it is affecting my wife and son, and probably the rest of my family an friends as well. For my wife and son, I want to be the best husband and father I can be. For my family and friends, I want to be a fun person to be around. And right now I'm far from it. By all respects I should be happy, I have a beautiful wife, awesome kid, a place to live, job, car, food, clothes, etc...Nothing to complain about, right? I certainly don't thing so. And it's not that I'm unhappy with any of those things, I really couldn't ask for more. But that still doesn't keep me from walking around like a hollow shell of the person I know I can be at the best of times.

I feel I have done my best to deal with this all these years and frankly, I'm tired of it. I don't want to just deal with it anymore, I don't want my family to have to deal with it either. In that aspect, just making an appt has already made it feel like a weight has been lifted.

Hopefully this explains my absence from the board lately and the reason I haven't responded to some of you. I really value this board and the friendships I have made here.

~Geoff
Hey Geoff. As weird as this may sound, this is great news. Be proud that you have the courage to reach out for help. It is not a easy thing to do. You have taken the first step for all the right reasons. I wish you all the best and please don't hesitate to contact me if you need to talk.
Curtis

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Geoff, to say that I can relate would be an understatement... As you can see from some of my previous posts, I was, and to some extent, still am, in a very dark place. One of the few things that helped me get through, and still gets me through these times is the support of not only my family, but your family as well. By that, I mean here. This group of misfits reached out on a few occasions to check on me. Because of them, I had the strength to do what I needed, which was go to a doctor. Your choice of getting the professional help that you need is the best thing that you can do. As stated before, you should be proud that you have taken that first step to get you to where you need to be. Take joy in that. Once you remember how to enjoy things like that, it's all downhill from there, the burden you fell will be lifted, the march forward will take on a new vibrant feel, your friends and family will see a new and improved you. But, for right now, understand that there is a light at the end of your tunnel. Understand that this feeling is only temporary. You will make it through. I have faith in you brother, I'm sure everyone here has faith in you, and your family damn sure has faith in you.
One last thing, and I think I speak for everyone here, anytime, day or night, you need support, post here, PM most everybody here, pick up a phone, send an email, heck, send snail mail if you feel that need. Someone will respond.
Most importantly, realize that you are NOT alone on this path.
That last bit was the hardest for me.

Matthew.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Geoff,
I sure am glad you didn't delete this and shared it instead. Like Matthew said above, that feeling of being alone and of the unknown has always been the worst for me. I'm sure you know this now, but I will echo what has been shared already... You have my support, whatever I can do, and please feel free to pm me. I don't know if you've experienced this after posting, but I'm going to share my some of my thoughts in case you have.
Today, after sharing on this thread, doubt has been rattling around my head...Did I share too much, do all think I'm strange, weak, etc. It is obvious, and has been, to me that I am my own worst enemy, sometimes. Feeling trapped by thoughts rolling around my head is a common feeling. That is where an opportunity to let it out like I discovered on this thread is priceless. Sometimes I just need to lay it on the table so that I can hear/ see it. It always amazes me how fear loses most of it's power when exposed to the light! Many times when I hear what I've been thinking I realize how completely irrational most of these thoughts/fears really are.
Many thanks for sharing, brother!