What's new

Let's Talk, BOTL and mental health

nc_6789

Nick
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Finally feeling normal again guys, thought I was better last week but i still had lingering sense of unease at all times which is finally gone - back to my normal life again - cigars and being active again after a short hiatus from my norm haha thanks for all the support again brothers, it truly helped me get through that battle!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Finally feeling normal again guys, thought I was better last week but i still had lingering sense of unease at all times which is finally gone - back to my normal life again - cigars and being active again after a short hiatus from my norm haha thanks for all the support again brothers, it truly helped me get through that battle!
Glad to hear it brother! (y) :cigar: Personal question: do you ever go to counseling to get to the bottom of your anxiety? There's usually an emotional cause for it, in addition to the biological. Just throwing it out there brother...counseling has done a lot for me over the years (i.e., I'm only half as nuts as I should be ;) ).

nc_6789

Nick
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Glad to hear it brother! (y) :cigar: Personal question: do you ever go to counseling to get to the bottom of your anxiety? There's usually an emotional cause for it, in addition to the biological. Just throwing it out there brother...counseling has done a lot for me over the years (i.e., I'm only half as nuts as I should be ;) ).
Hey Jason, yes I do go to therapy regularly and a lot of it has to do with my upbringing and my dad is a sufferer as well so I sort of inherited that from him a bit. Overall, I'm pretty much fine but when I let myself lose control in the beginning is when it turns into something longer and drawn out.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Hey Jason, yes I do go to therapy regularly and a lot of it has to do with my upbringing and my dad is a sufferer as well so I sort of inherited that from him a bit. Overall, I'm pretty much fine but when I let myself lose control in the beginning is when it turns into something longer and drawn out.
For me, therapy is more about living with and accepting who I am, rather than "fixing" what i think it's wrong with me. Often seemingly unrelated positive actions can alleviate my anxiety, but when I start thinking I need to get over it or fix it or focusing on it as a problem or a bad thing, it only gets worse.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I went through a bad bout of depression and anxiety in the middle of 2016. I found out it was a hormone imbalance that tripped the switch. I'm doing a million times better, but. . . I had to switch doctors and the new doctor is ending the therapy. He wants to run more test to confirm the prior diagnosis. So, I'm preparing for the crash. I can already feel it creeping in.

The doctor thinks that instead of the hormonal therapy I just need to sit down with a psychiatrist. He says that my smoking and enjoying two or three drinks a week shows that I am covering an underlying issue. I guess blood test results and treatment results don't mean anything.

Anyway, that is how my new year is going.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
101   0   0
To show my doc how speradic my drinking was i recorded how much i drank and divided it by the days that past so when he asked me how much i drank i told him 17ml a day because i didnt drink every day

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
To show my doc how speradic my drinking was i recorded how much i drank and divided it by the days that past so when he asked me how much i drank i told him 17ml a day because i didnt drink every day
Back when I was drinking I was honest with my doctor only one time about how much I drank. The doctor stopped writing, looked up at me with a holy shit look on his face and said, "ummm,.... that is quite excessive..." lol.

I should have broke it down to milliliters. Hahaha

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I went through a bad bout of depression and anxiety in the middle of 2016. I found out it was a hormone imbalance that tripped the switch. I'm doing a million times better, but. . . I had to switch doctors and the new doctor is ending the therapy. He wants to run more test to confirm the prior diagnosis. So, I'm preparing for the crash. I can already feel it creeping in.

The doctor thinks that instead of the hormonal therapy I just need to sit down with a psychiatrist. He says that my smoking and enjoying two or three drinks a week shows that I am covering an underlying issue. I guess blood test results and treatment results don't mean anything.

Anyway, that is how my new year is going.
That sucks man. Not sure about why you had to change docs, and it's none of my business, but I'd be looking into some way to change again...

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Unless the hormonal treatments are bad for you over long term. I would then go into it with a positive attitude and give it a try but if there are no negative side effects/consequences I'd be looking.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I never drink more than two shots worth of rum and usually it is in twelve ounces of Coca-Cola or 4-6 ounces of coconut water. The same fifth has lasted me a month. I've actually still got about half a bottle.

I am thinking about switching doctors. However, the "health system" that accepts my insurance would flag it as doctor shopping because of the short time between switches.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I never drink more than two shots worth of rum and usually it is in twelve ounces of Coca-Cola or 4-6 ounces of coconut water. The same fifth has lasted me a month. I've actually still got about half a bottle.

I am thinking about switching doctors. However, the "health system" that accepts my insurance would flag it as doctor shopping because of the short time between switches.
what is wrong with doctor shopping?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Unless the hormonal treatments are bad for you over long term. I would then go into it with a positive attitude and give it a try but if there are no negative side effects/consequences I'd be looking.
There are side-effects, but I did a lot of research on the topic. The side-effects usually come from over dosing the hormone. The side-effects are nothing though if it means not hearing my daughter ask why daddy never smiles, or why daddy never wants to play any more.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
what is wrong with doctor shopping?
They label that as a high risk person. So, you are less likely to get whatever treatment you are seeking, less medication when injured, lesser medications for existing injuries, and possibly denial of service.

It is the great new way to battle the opioid addiction epidemic. Addicts tend to switch doctors or visit several doctors in a short period of time "shopping" for pills.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
They label that as a high risk person. So, you are less likely to get whatever treatment you are seeking, less medication when injured, lesser medications for existing injuries, and possibly denial of service.

It is the great new way to battle the opioid addiction epidemic. Addicts tend to switch doctors or visit several doctors in a short period of time "shopping" for pills.
Well, I would recommend testing a new doctor with an uninsured visit and just pay out of your pocket. Then if he works out, add him as the new doctor.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Five years running and I'm amazed at what a success this thread and the Bell Let's Talk movement has become. Today once again is Bell Let's Talk Day. Hashtag it on Twitter, watch the video on Facebook and for each, Bell will donate 5c to mental health causes that impact so many each and every day. Thank you one and all for making this thread such a safe place for people to come and talk amongst our fellow BOTL.