What's new

Let's talk credit, credit cards, and rewards!

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I really like Chase Ultimate Reward Points. The redemption rates are great and the transfer options even better. Where are you traveling for your honeymoon and how far in the future is the trip? Southwest flies to a handful of central American and Caribbean destinations now. I don't currently have a SWA card, but it's possible to get their companion pass by getting two of their cards during the 50K+ point promotions. I do have the companion pass and it's worth a ton.
I was just telling my girlfriend about this; Southwest and their buddy pass is a great value if they're flying a route you were interested in. Get both cards, hit the minimum spends, collect a few extra points, and boom, you're getting BOGO plane tickets for the rest of the calendar year PLUS the entire following year! Too bad I don't have a job for the application otherwise I'd be looking into it, LMAO!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I really like Chase Ultimate Reward Points. The redemption rates are great and the transfer options even better. Where are you traveling for your honeymoon and how far in the future is the trip? Southwest flies to a handful of central American and Caribbean destinations now. I don't currently have a SWA card, but it's possible to get their companion pass by getting two of their cards during the 50K+ point promotions. I do have the companion pass and it's worth a ton.
I ended up getting the chase sapphire preferred card a couple months back per @jasonatjl reccomendation. We’ve already booked 400$ worth of free flights and still have another 400$ worth of miles to use. We will be in the Mediterranean for two weeks so saving the foreign transaction fees alone will cover the annual cost of the card for a couple years. And yes the first year fee is waived. Oh and the card is metal which is cool as hell.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I was just telling my girlfriend about this; Southwest and their buddy pass is a great value if they're flying a route you were interested in. Get both cards, hit the minimum spends, collect a few extra points, and boom, you're getting BOGO plane tickets for the rest of the calendar year PLUS the entire following year! Too bad I don't have a job for the application otherwise I'd be looking into it, LMAO!
I’ve been looking at Southwest since they have a big hub near me. But now with two kids a flight sounds horrible. Might still do it tho

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Southwest and the cattle call boarding can suck it.

The wife and I use AMEX platinums as our main cards. Although we don’t travel internationally that much, the concierge has booked us a ton of dinner reservations that were “unavailable”. They also really took care of my wife in Las Vegas a few weeks ago with a stupid amount of upgrades. If you frequent resorts, rental cars, etc it’s the way to go. I do miss the better points of my gold card however, and the annual fee is steep, If you don’t take advantage of the credits they offer.

Capital one quicksilver is my CC card, if they don’t accept AMEX. No foreign transaction fees is a nice perk and the cash back is good 1.5%.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting the chase sapphire preferred card a couple months back per @jasonatjl reccomendation. We’ve already booked 400$ worth of free flights and still have another 400$ worth of miles to use. We will be in the Mediterranean for two weeks so saving the foreign transaction fees alone will cover the annual cost of the card for a couple years. And yes the first year fee is waived. Oh and the card is metal which is cool as hell.
Great choice! I would have made the same choice since the reserve and preferred have the same sign up bonus. I have the reserve and love it. For me it’s worth the extra $55 in annual fee (after accounting for the travel credit which I usually spend in the first month or two).

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The biggest reward Visa offers is IMHO, something called [/i]"buyer protection"[/i]. It is like an extended warranty for many items. So you buy a washing machine that is two years part & labor, automatically you have a FREE Extra year warranty.

Catch is you must pay for repair, send in receipt, copy of proof of purchase, and term of factory warranty.

Cigars are not Cover after you smoke them, if you think of getting FREE CIGARS. :headphone:
MasterCard and Discover have variants of this as well—used it on an out of warranty iPhone a few years ago and it saved my butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Just looking at Costco site and see that they have no International fees on their card. I need to utilize my card and capitalize on their rewards. I got out of the habit of using cards unless necessary and carrying zero balance, but realize I am leaving money on the table, especially on fuel purchases at 4%, that works out to 8-9 cents a gallon discount on fuel alone.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Is this a good deal? I'm not liking the annual fee of $129, this is one reason I closed my two Best Buy cards.

Earn 40,000 points

after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.1 $149 annual fee applied to first billing statement.†

Get a new balance of

40,000 points.

Enjoy unlimited points
that don't expire as long as your Rapid Rewards® Priority
Credit Card account is open.2

But the family is planning on a trip to Disney next Oct and these points would help with the flying costs.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Doesn’t really seem worth it unless you fly southwest a shitload or just plan on closing it after a year. There’s gotta be some better deals out there right now. Especially since we’re going into the holiday season.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Is this a good deal? I'm not liking the annual fee of $129, this is one reason I closed my two Best Buy cards.

Earn 40,000 points

after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.1 $149 annual fee applied to first billing statement.†

Get a new balance of

40,000 points.

Enjoy unlimited points
that don't expire as long as your Rapid Rewards® Priority
Credit Card account is open.2

But the family is planning on a trip to Disney next Oct and these points would help with the flying costs.
Agreed - most “good” rewards cards have annual fees, but it’s not a good deal unless the rewards offset the fees themselves.

Would you fly out of Chicago?

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
No, straight out of Indy....SW has nonstop to Orlando now, and Vegas, which I am planning on going back to in June for the trade show as well.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
No, straight out of Indy....SW has nonstop to Orlando now, and Vegas, which I am planning on going back to in June for the trade show as well.
Pretty sure SW has 2 cards for rewards -might want to consider getting both, LOL

Have you looked at rewards flights and what it takes to redeem for a flight?

Also, look into their companion / buddy pass - essentially BOGO.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Agreed - most “good” rewards cards have annual fees, but it’s not a good deal unless the rewards offset the fees themselves.

Would you fly out of Chicago?
I have the JetBlue credit card. No annual fees but I get 3x points on jetblue purchases (booking trips, in flight etc), 2x on food, 1x on everything else. I’d have to pay for the checked bags and other non-sense. If I ever upgraded for $100 a year the points double and free checked bags I think.

For now, I don’t need the $100 annual fee. But I’m sure as hell racking up plenty of points as it is.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I have the JetBlue credit card. No annual fees but I get 3x points on jetblue purchases (booking trips, in flight etc), 2x on food, 1x on everything else. I’d have to pay for the checked bags and other non-sense. If I ever upgraded for $100 a year the points double and free checked bags I think.

For now, I don’t need the $100 annual fee. But I’m sure as hell racking up plenty of points as it is.

How often do you fly with JetBlue?

And where would you be flying with them?

I like JetBlue, but they often don’t have many flights where I want to go.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Pretty sure SW has 2 cards for rewards -might want to consider getting both, LOL

Have you looked at rewards flights and what it takes to redeem for a flight?

Also, look into their companion / buddy pass - essentially BOGO.
No, I have not looked at that, this is kinda my 1st venture into credit cards.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
How often do you fly with JetBlue?

And where would you be flying with them?

I like JetBlue, but they often don’t have many flights where I want to go.
I fly with them once, maybe twice a year to see my grandparent’s in Florida. So not often.

I also used the card for my honeymoon to St Lucia. Jetblue flies there also. But only 1 flight there and 1 back a day to and from JFK in NY.

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Anyone have any thoughts on the new Costco Visa for traveling/rewards?
I like that is a Visa now and not AMEX...wife shops there alot and usually uses her Chase Freedom Rewards. Usually fly SW, AA or Delta, but mainly looking for another rewards cards for traveling...

Edit
I mainly use my Chase Sapphire Preferred for everything and love this card. I really only use my Freedom rewards for small little personal purchases on the road. All of our cards are paid every 2 weeks and never carry a balance. Although I do miss the 0% for 18 months that the Freedom cards had when we first got them.

Last edited: