What's new

Liga Privada Papas Fritas (Meatcake's Take)

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Liga Privada - Papas Fritas

Pre-Light:

First off, the Tin these lil guys come in is freaking cool. If there is always one thing you can say about Drew Estate, it's that they know how to make their product stand out. The packaging, the marketing, all of it is simple and brilliant at the same time. The cigar itself is beautifully constructed and looks like NO other mixed filler on the market. The cigar's wrapper is almost black its so dark, and it smells fantastic. The little twist tale and signature band, are also darn nice little additions to what should be a run of the mill mixed/short filler. These things combined, take this guy to the next level.

1st Third:

Instantly you are greeted with that familiar Liga taste. At first draw this reminded me of the LAST third of the T-52 which isn't a bad thing. It has a stout cocoa and spice to it that kind of punches you in the face with flavor but not in a bad way. No like a knuckle Sandwich, more like a playful slap from a hot chick! The ash so far is holding on a lot longer than any other mixed/short filler I have ever had. The Liga Privada cigars are also known for producing campfire proportions of smoke wafting through the air (if you say, threw a bundle of wet leaves on the campfire). The Papas Fritas doesn't quite reach the smoke level of its bigger brothers but keeps about 70% of it. Very impressive for a mixed filler cigar.

2nd Third:

This is a spicy meatball!! The spice is pretty present in the second third but the flavor remains the same. I wasn't expecting any complexity as it is a mixed filler but this still taste better than a lot of long filler cigars. At this point, it reminds me most of the T-52 and that is a good thing as that is one of my favorite Ligas. Also, if I didn't know this was a short filler, it could easily fool you. Look at the ash on this baby, it held on for more than an inch and that was with me being active! I was in the back yard running my dog around and the ash held on like a champ well into the 2nd third.

Last Third:

Ok, so I am a fan! I thought the price point would be off putting to me because it is mixed/short filler but given the amount of flavor and quality of the construction (I never had that flaky ash associated with short fillers) it is my new favorite short/mixed filler. I actually was quite in love the the other DE product that is similar to this one, the La Vieja Habana Maduro, which I still have quite a few of from my purchase at the devil site, but this one just kicks that ones butt. Hands down, the BEST mixed/short filler cigar you will ever smoke and the closest thing you will get to a corona size T-52. Color me impressed...and that color would be probably Red, or Green, not sure what color "impressed" is.

Final Thoughts:

I don't know that I will commit to buying a box of these as I have plenty of other cigars to smoke and I like a little variety in my cigars generally, but this is a nice addition to the Liga line. I am sure it will make them a crap-ton of coin as it already has a huge following. Good job Drew Estate! Another solid product!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
cool review, and thanks!

for all the "marketing gimmick" talk when these were announced, have been hearing nothing but butter from reviews. good job JD and steve!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I might have to break down and go get a tin.. i think ive got enough short smokes already on hand to get me through the winter... and ive been resisting the price tag associated with a short filler stick... (knowing I can get an undercrown for essentially the same money...)..

but....

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Definitely looking forward to trying these as soon as I can. Nice review. Excellent pics...are you using a light box?

Dan
No lightbox, I am a photographer part time (actually doing a girls with cigars calendar right now, putting it out in next few weeks, a bit late i know but still). I just shot these natural light outside. no photoshop besides cropping and a little sharpening when resizing for web.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Meatcake,

Thats was a damn nice review, but the photos are like the sharpest that I have ever seen. What camera and set up did you use, bro?
JD

View attachment 27796View attachment 27796
JD, its me MEATCAKE!! I was on another forum a while back, you and I talked on the phone for like 3 hours one day. I am sure you talk to a million folks so its hard to place people.
I am a photographer. I use canon cameras. just shot it natural light outside while I was smoking it and playing with my dog. Easy to make stuff look good when you know your craft. No photoshop besides resizing for web, cropping and a slight amount of sharpening (you lose so much of that when you resize for web).

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I first heard the pricepoint for these cigars I was very turned off. All the good reviews have made me really want a few tins. It sounds amazing and I've never seen a short filler cigar hold its ash like that.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Another solid review (though you should continue with the meme reviews - its unique). While I still think the price-point is a bit high (costs me $32/tin at my local), I have been smoking these like crack - already on my 3rd tin in just two weeks time. When dealing with the cold winter weather, having a 30-45 minute smoke with great Liga flavor is a fantastic treat!