What's new

Liga Privada Papas Fritas

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
What I find most disturbing is that a blogger claims to have smoked over 200 of an unreleased cigar that will be hard to come by for quite a while, yet the paying customers have to scramble to find some. I don't know about anyone else, but that just really puts me off. I couldn't BUY these right now but he can smoke that many? Seems odd to me.

Justify it anyway you want, its just bad business in my eyes. It actually has caused me to stop being a DE customer. I know some will say, "good, more for me", and I am glad you feel that way. I just don't have the tollerance for such f*ckery.
I see your point, but prerelease & regular production are two very different things. I actually like that he smoked that many before doing his review instead of the seemingly "normal" 1-3 sticks which I sometimes think isn't nearly enough to let he/them do an accurate review.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Dude, 200. I hear what you are saying, but 200 is just absurd. I could see maybe a dozen, but 200? If there wasn't always chatter about how hard it is to keep Ligas in production beacause of limited resources I wouldn't have cared. That one simple statement makes me question the authenticity of such claims and it leads me to believe that its just not true.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
If we're talking about the same review/reviewer, I think he said he smoked "around 100", not 200. Still quite a bit, but again, prerelease.

EDIT: I just read it again & I stand corrected. I do see your point & I'm really not trying to play devils advocate here, but to me, it's not a huge deal breaking type of thing. If it is to you, I respect that, but like you originally said....more for me/us. If I couldn't find/buy them at all, like ever....then yeah, I'd be irked about it. ;)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
At the time I first looked to purchase some, they were out of stock on each site I checked. So yeah, it really ticked me off. Compound that with the number smoked by said blogger, and well I got even more ticked off. I don't believe its going to hurt DE's customer base in any way, aside from one dude being annoyed and boycotting. :)

Last edited:

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Eh, just to throw in my completely unasked for $.02, they are DE cigars. They can do whatever they want with them, including giving them away, selling them exclusively to 1 customer or whatever else they want. If I can't get any, no big deal there are a ton of other great cigars out there for me to grab.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My order from cigar.com just shipped. I ordered when they were on back order. Pumped to finally get my hands on these.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Eh, just to throw in my completely unasked for $.02, they are DE cigars. They can do whatever they want with them, including giving them away, selling them exclusively to 1 customer or whatever else they want. If I can't get any, no big deal there are a ton of other great cigars out there for me to grab.
This is true, and I don't think anyone claimed otherwise. Just that they lost a customer in doing so.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
On a separate note, how are you all storing your papa fritas? Removing the plastic from the tins, but are you taking them out if the tins? Not sure if I should do that our leave them in the tins, I assume leaving them in the tins is similar to leaving a cigar in a tube

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I unwrapped the tins, and pulled all the cello off the cigars in the tins. I then put the cigars back in the tins, back in the box. That's how I am going to store them at any rate :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be taking them out of the tins (after I show it off:rolling:) and taking them out of the cello to be put in my humi. All my cigars are naked so these will be too. You better believe I am keeping the tins though! Not sure for what yet....

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
On a separate note, how are you all storing your papa fritas? Removing the plastic from the tins, but are you taking them out if the tins? Not sure if I should do that our leave them in the tins, I assume leaving them in the tins is similar to leaving a cigar in a tube
I'm keeping them in the tins for protection. With a mixed filler cigar, I'm going the extra step to ensure I don't get bits of tobacco all over.

FWIW, here is a short review of the pre-release I posted on another forum:

Just finishing smoking the upcoming Papa Fritas from Drew Estate and figured I'd jot down initial thoughts. When I got this stick in Esteli about 2 months ago (little less) I speculated that it would soon become a very popular cigar at less than $5 price point (rumored).
When I first lit it, I found it to be very harsh and not very flavorful. I didn't like it at first. I even stated such while talking to those around me but it started to open up a bit into 'meh' territory for me. By the end of the 2nd third, though, the harshness dissipated and it actually wasn't bad - especially for what I presume will be a very cheap smoke.
I'm not going to speculate on if I'd buy these again off one cigar that ran the gamut for me, but I'll be searching for another to see how they taste when finally released.
EDIT: I should note that "wasn't bad" is actually an endorsement of sorts. Was it a T52 or a L40? No, but it was enjoyable at that point. I'll be curious if I get the bad first third in the next I try.
I finally smoked the official release last night - I smoked 2 - and, while they cost me $7.50 a piece which is a bit more than I would have liked, I thought they had gotten much better with age and billowed smoke commiserate with what I would expect from Ligas.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Just got word that mine shipped yesterday. Won't get them until after Christmas though. Was hoping I could enjoy one in the morning before everyone got up.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
At the time I first looked to purchase some, they were out of stock on each site I checked. So yeah, it really ticked me off. Compound that with the number smoked by said blogger, and well I got even more ticked off. I don't believe its going to hurt DE's customer base in any way, aside from one dude being annoyed and boycotting. :)
He has been smoking them for probably over a year at this point. He had very early access to try these since he visited our factory multiple times during their development. It's not uncommon to leave with a bundle of cigars after visiting the factory, and he's been probably three times over the past year. Sorry if it annoys you, but he definitely didn't smoke 200 finished, packaged Papas Fritas. They didn't even have a name when he first smoked them. Media get special samples in every industry, that's just how it is.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm keeping them in the tins for protection. With a mixed filler cigar, I'm going the extra step to ensure I don't get bits of tobacco all over.
Ahhh. Good point. That throws off my whole thinking! I am not sure I would want the cigars in the tin w/o cello on. Would the tin do something the the cigars like impart a metal flavor?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Ahhh. Good point. That throws off my whole thinking! I am not sure I would want the cigars in the tin w/o cello on. Would the tin do something the the cigars like impart a metal flavor?
I hadn't actually considered that, but I'm going to hope/guess not. FWIW, I've kept them in the cello, in the tin, in the humidor. Frankly, I don't envision these things lasting too long in my humidor - what with the NJ winter weather and the 30-45 minute smoke time of these delicious guys - so I'm not too concerned with any of it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't actually considered that, but I'm going to hope/guess not. FWIW, I've kept them in the cello, in the tin, in the humidor. Frankly, I don't envision these things lasting too long in my humidor - what with the NJ winter weather and the 30-45 minute smoke time of these delicious guys - so I'm not too concerned with any of it.

Very good point. I live in FL and they won't be lasting long no matter the temp!

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
You guys act like these are made of particles of leaf that will disintegrate. If you knew nothing about them, I seriously doubt that the majority would even know they are short filler. Just chill out, try one, and like it or don't.