What's new

Lighter problems

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I purchased 2 lighters this past week, I have this crazy fixation on collecting them, and I can't get them to light. They are Xikar products. I purged them both before adding butane and they just won't ignite.
I am using Vector 5X refined butane.
I have used compressed air to clear out any debris.
Am I forgetting anything????
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
HELP!!!!

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Nope, that's pretty much all you can do, as far as I'm aware. Just send em in and get replacements or return them to the retailer.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps the nozzle on the butane cannister doesn't fit the lighter, and you need to use an adapter.

Or, in my case, I once had this problem with a much more pedestrian explanation: I just wasn't applying enough pressure when I thought I was filling the lighter! But....that's me! lol

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Woah, I had no idea you should purge a ligher prior to a refill. I just did a quick google search and found this article. Pretty helpful! When I get home I'll see if I can revive my pesky Cohiba ligher that refuses to light

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above, you may need an adapter. I have one and my xikar works well.

As another said, press harder. When I don't, mine wont fill up.

Also maybe fill it up longer than usual. Mine doesnt have a fill gauge, so I fill it a good bit before trying it.

All else fails, send it back.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
This has been an issue ever sense I joined this site. I quit buying expensive lighters for just this reason...just a pain in the ass.
I bought a butane insert ($12) to fit inside my favorite Zippo's and never had any issues. Best choice I've ever made.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
This has been an issue ever sense I joined this site. I quit buying expensive lighters for just this reason...just a pain in the ass.
I bought a butane insert ($12) to fit inside my favorite Zippo's and never had any issues. Best choice I've ever made.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Lately with Xikar lighters we have found that you may have to purge-fill-purge-fill before they will work correctly. Not sure if they got overly pressurized or something, but a few fill/purge's have got many of them working correctly. Worst case send them back as others have said. If sending back to a store for replacement, ask the store to test them to make sure they work.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, although i have seen some refillablt butane cheap lighters, i haven't try it before.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Xikar = Lifetime warranty

They will replace it no questions asked.
Yeah and you are only without your lighter for 2 weeks.

Send the thing back and then never spend $$$$$$$ on an expensive lighter again. Go to Wally World get yourself a Bronson Jet Lite for like $3 and spend.the money you just saved on some good sticks.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah and you are only without your lighter for 2 weeks.

Send the thing back and then never spend $$$$$$$ on an expensive lighter again. Go to Wally World get yourself a Bronson Jet Lite for like $3 and spend.the money you just saved on some good sticks.
They are very hit and miss. Out of 4 I have one that works OK.

I got them in CO. My Walmart in FL doesn't have them.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
They are very hit and miss. Out of 4 I have one that works OK.

I got them in CO. My Walmart in FL doesn't have them.
I have had 2 for more than a couple of years now. And the shop is buying them up from Wally World and re-selling them. Have not had a single one returned. Compare that to Xikar or Calibri.

Even if they do fail, you are only out $3.

Win, win if you ask me.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have had 2 for more than a couple of years now. And the shop is buying them up from Wally World and re-selling them. Have not had a single one returned. Compare that to Xikar or Calibri.

Even if they do fail, you are only out $3.

Win, win if you ask me.
They do work better than the Colibri's... cant speak for the xikars.