What's new

Lighting your Cigar with Cedar

MadBear

The Original Angry Animal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you prefered to light your cigar with the cedar strip the cigar comes with? I heard people do this? Is this proper etiquette? Is it acceaptable to do this in a smokers lounge?

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
This is perfectly acceptable, though some people may look at you weird.

Some places offer them gratis to light your cigar with.

I just use a lighter.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I would have to light the cedar with something. For me, eliminating the cedar is one less step.

Geoffrie brought me and Fredneck to a cool place called the Velvet Lounge when we visited NYC. Basically a small local cigar place and bar. Really neat place, they used cedar strips that you light with a candle and snuff out in a small glass of water.

PS, yes is proper etiquette there as they provided for us.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
When I have a very old beautiful cigar,I have a ritual which always includes lighting with a cedar strip. Its fun, elegant and I think adds to the experience.

MadBear

The Original Angry Animal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I use a torch to slowly toast the tip then slowly raise the temperature of the bottom of the cigar til it glows a bright red. then I puff on the cigar with no flame.

Even burn 90% of the time.

I'll use a cedar splif if a.) I do not have my torch. b.) If I have the long stemmed ones. If they're offer in the cigar lounge, I will use them as to not insult the host.

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The absolute difinitive answer to the question "What's the best way to light a cigar?" is: With fire... Preferably something that doesn't put off terrible fumes/odors and something that won't overheat the cigar. Any butane lighter, disposable or refillable will not impart any strange taste to the cigar. (Unless your perception of taste is far more sensitive than mine.) I prefer disposables because I don't mind very much if I lose one or give it away.

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
my lovelywife bought me a zippo for valentines day. Not ideal for a cigar necessarily, but a very thoughtful gesture and I will be sure to use it. Plus, now I don't have to spend a bunch of money on a fancy torch lighter

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
my lovelywife bought me a zippo for valentines day. Not ideal for a cigar necessarily, but a very thoughtful gesture and I will be sure to use it. Plus, now I don't have to spend a bunch of money on a fancy torch lighter
You could get the butane torch insert for Zippos...

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
If it is a standard zippo and not butane it will impart fuel flavor to the cigar. Getting an insert is one solution. Using the zippo to light a cedar strip is another.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I've never tried it but that isn't because I think it is strange or anything. Like STeve said...you have to light the cedar with something. If I were at the Velvet Lounge I would have used one too.

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have the butane insert for my Zippo and it works great. Cost like $13

*EDIT*
I don't mean to be redundant in my repetitiveness.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Zippo insert looks GREAT!

I have bought several lower priced lighters and they never last more than a month before they break. Also, after reading a couple of threads here, it seems that the fuel I have been using has been two steps above burning diesel fuel.

Right now I am only smoking when it's not windy outside, because I am using matches. It only takes a puff of wind to put one of them out. On the other hand, during the winter, if it is cold AND windy out, I don't really WANT to smoke a cigar. I just huddle outside and suck down a cigarette.