What's new

Limits on Cigars Removed

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Good news for those that want to travel.
The Obama administration announced Friday it is eliminating a $100 limit on the value of Cuban rum and cigars that American travelers can bring back from the island.
Cuban rum and cigars will now be subject to the same duties as alcohol and tobacco from other countries, meaning most travelers will be able to bring back as many as 100 cigars and several bottles of rum.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-removes-limits-bringing-cuban-131555613.html

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Seems to me this applies to personal consumption only and allows for purchases of any Cuban goods in any quantities via any means (ie: duty free shops at airports or even calling or emailing a foreign vendor). What this does not allow for is open sales of Cuban products within the US - we will not yet see Cuban products in liquor stores or local smoke shops. This (hopefully) will allow the gradual increase in usage to limit impact on the quality of Cuban products while also easing the 'hit' on other cigar sources or currently available tobacco from Nic, DM, etc. Please correct me if I am wrong...

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Will make no difference for the vast majority of us at this point. Options for most are to pay massive taxes to purchase in Canada or elsewhere, or to just keep doing things the way we're already doing them.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Will make no difference for the vast majority of us at this point. Options for most are to pay massive taxes to purchase in Canada or elsewhere, or to just keep doing things the way we're already doing them.
This is true but our top hat allows 200 cigars to be brought back to the US duty free. I have been playing with different VAT numbers all morning and it becomes very interesting.

Ex. My wife and SIL both travel to London frequently for work. Now that they can declare them and get VAT refunded, your talking a 500ish box of COROs from foxes.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Is that a good deal? (unfamiliar with Fox's pricing)... are you referring to aged boxes or something?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Similar to buying from an LCDH and they have those elusive H&F (EMS) stamps on the boxes that some people pay a premium for

It's only relevant if you believe in the white vs grey market stuff

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Gotta disagree with ya bro. Many people do travel, or have friends/family that do. Nothing will change for me regarding basic regular production stuff, but you better believe I'm happy that I can now legally bring back Regionals, Customs or other HTF/Aged gems. :)

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Gotta disagree with ya bro. Many people do travel, or have friends/family that do. Nothing will change for me regarding basic regular production stuff, but you better believe I'm happy that I can now legally bring back Regionals, Customs or other HTF/Aged gems. :)
True, but how many people do you know that ball only at your level? I believe the vast majority are guys are ordering from online vendors.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Just had this thought...
Should someone update the rules on here about talking about, trading, and giving away cubans?
We obviously still can't sell them openly, but it is now 100% legal for us to trade them right?
Also, are box splits now fair game for any of us traveling outside the country?

My local NPR affiliate called the shop and gave me a short interview on how I feel the regulations will affect business and the industry as a whole. Apparently I was on the radio, but they aired it right after they called me and didn't post the audio yet.
http://kjzz.org/content/381476/some-cuban-cigar-restrictions-lifted-united-states

Last edited:

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Just had this thought...
Should someone update the rules on here about talking about, trading, and giving away cubans?
We obviously still can't sell them openly, but it is now 100% legal for us to trade them right?
Also, are box splits now fair game for any of us traveling outside the country?
AFAIK, its legal for personal consumption only, selling or trading is still prohibited.