What's new

Locating Estate Pipes

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
... I walked into a local shop the other day. The owner follows my IG account. He says, "since your into this here u can have these" and hands me 3 estate pipes. One being a Dunhill.
only you, dude. ONLY you could do this. just back into a dunhill. of course, i expect some pix once you get the dunny done, right? o)

also, general agreement to everything said so far. keep your eyes open, be sensitive to what you want and what you want to pay, and don't get lost in it.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
As James said a few sites have estate pipes, but for the most part I stop in to local antique shops. Normally you will find some nice pipes at great prices. I have found pipe racks full of pipes sold as a batch for only $20 before. You can also find some sweet rack & jar combos!

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Briarville.com has some restored estates. Or you can buy them and send them in for restore, they have an a-la-carte type service menu.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Alright - so I just got my first estate pipe from Ebay for $9. It looks nice enough and, for $9, I figured it would be a good way to start learning how to restore. I'm going on vacation in a couple of weeks so having an estate or two to work on while I am up there sounds good. I'm also planning on trying a few new tobaccos as well.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
One place to check could be a local auction service that handles estates and other stuff. There is a guy that goes to the same B&M I used to work at and still frequent. I am sure he'd keep an eye out for estate pipes if I buy him Gisperts every so often.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Y'all suck. You're pushers, enablers, and apologists of the highest order.

I had an amazing moment last night with my first bowl of Trout Stream and a corn cob. Enough that I thought "I'd like to get a briar, too." Went into an antique store today looking for old razors. Found some old pipes. Some in really nasty shape, some with cracked bits. Some that did nothing for me. But one spoke to me. Marked at $18. I talked them down to $16.

It's a Wally Frank Limited. Nice billiard. Stem oxidized brown, no real tooth chatter, pretty thick cake buildup. Stinger in the stem (now pulled). Very little filler in the bowl. It's a smaller billiard, but it really felt right in my hand. So then to the pipe shop. Increased the cost of the exercise a bit:

Hard to see, but they had a Castleford reamer for cheaper than Amazon. Plus some assorted brushes. And a stop at a package store for some Everclear.

The stem is now sitting in OxyClean without a stinger. The bowl has been reamed (was able to use the 19mm bit) and is now sitting with grain alcohol and canning salt. Again, all your fault.

Thanks. :)

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Y'all suck. You're pushers, enablers, and apologists of the highest order.

I had an amazing moment last night with my first bowl of Trout Stream and a corn cob. Enough that I thought "I'd like to get a briar, too." Went into an antique store today looking for old razors. Found some old pipes. Some in really nasty shape, some with cracked bits. Some that did nothing for me. But one spoke to me. Marked at $18. I talked them down to $16.

It's a Wally Frank Limited. Nice billiard. Stem oxidized brown, no real tooth chatter, pretty thick cake buildup. Stinger in the stem (now pulled). Very little filler in the bowl. It's a smaller billiard, but it really felt right in my hand. So then to the pipe shop. Increased the cost of the exercise a bit:

Hard to see, but they had a Castleford reamer for cheaper than Amazon. Plus some assorted brushes. And a stop at a package store for some Everclear.

The stem is now sitting in OxyClean without a stinger. The bowl has been reamed (was able to use the 19mm bit) and is now sitting with grain alcohol and canning salt. Again, all your fault.

Thanks. :)
Congrats on the find! Between razors and now briars, I'll be shopping at antique stores a lot more.

Speaking of estates...

INBOUND!!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been searching Craigslist and eBay for months. On CL I can never find any cool cigar or humidor items. I always see guys posting insane finds but none in my area. Seems I have high end taste because every pipe I like on eBay is the one that has 500 bidders raising the price up out of my range. We have some antique places here but the few pipes I do find are seriously damaged. Been hitting garage sales all year and haven't found anything. I am not ready to give up and keep the search going. I have started collecting supplies for when I do find an estate pipe.

I think it is just persistence and always being in the hunt.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I have been searching Craigslist and eBay for months. On CL I can never find any cool cigar or humidor items. I always see guys posting insane finds but none in my area. Seems I have high end taste because every pipe I like on eBay is the one that has 500 bidders raising the price up out of my range. We have some antique places here but the few pipes I do find are seriously damaged. Been hitting garage sales all year and haven't found anything. I am not ready to give up and keep the search going. I have started collecting supplies for when I do find an estate pipe.

I think it is just persistence and always being in the hunt.
On Friday I was the highest bidder on one pipe at $10.50... for about half an hour. I check just now and, with over 6 days left, the pipe is going for $490.00.

I am pretty certain that for every story of a successful find that there are a hundred stories of failures. I am also looking for a birth year razor and that's taking some time, too.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Ok so I typed a long response to the op on this thread but my internet went down and I lost it all. Let me try again.

Auctions
Flea markets
Yard sales
The bay
Other online sources
Uncle Joes attic etc

A year ago I was getting estate pipe lots for 15-25 bucks now I'm lucky to get a single pipe for that. Best way is to figure out what u want, either make, shape etc and search for just that.

Local shops will charge more than ebay but u know what u get. Online not so much. Lister may not show damages. Look under my restoration thread for an example.

Flea markets or yard sales can be hit or miss. U may find that birth year Dunhill cheap or they may have a Missouri Meershaum for 20 bucks.

Best thing to do is just keep your eyes open. I walked into a local shop the other day. The owner follows my IG account. He says, "since your into this here u can have these" and hands me 3 estate pipes. One being a Dunhill.
thats just plain crazy I cant believe youre on IG

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
One last question (I think): I know a Dunhill pipe is a valuable find (assuming it's in good condition or can be restored to good condition). I know Dr Grabow pipes are not as valuable a find.

But there are so many pipe makers and such, how did you guys learn which pipes are worthwhile and which are not? Was it just through trial and error? Talking on forums like this? Etc.

Right now, I am content to buy estate pipes for the sole purpose of building my collection and learning how to restore them. At some point, though, I'll have to calm my wonderful wife down and the easiest way to do it is to buy a pipe, restore it, and resell it at a small profit.

So I am just wondering how all of you knowledgeable brothers gained your knowledge?

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
... so having an estate or two to work on while I am up there sounds good.
Oh, you'll have more than that! :)
I was right. Even though I *tried* to do a somewhat fair trade, Shawn obliterated my mailbox!

Five… FIVE freaking pipes along with five amazing bodyguards!

Dude, seriously, you're insane!

Thanks brother - I know how I will be spending the nights on my upcoming vacation

I will take "real" pics of each pipe before I start the restoration. And, of course, pics afterward.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
... so having an estate or two to work on while I am up there sounds good.
Oh, you'll have more than that! :)
I was right. Even though I *tried* to do a somewhat fair trade, Shawn obliterated my mailbox!

Five… FIVE freaking pipes along with five amazing bodyguards!

Dude, seriously, you're insane!

Thanks brother - I know how I will be spending the nights on my upcoming vacation

I will take "real" pics of each pipe before I start the restoration. And, of course, pics afterward.
Very awesome!!! BOTL math strikes again. Looks like a great group of pipes there.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool assortment of pipes and sticks! Although it kinda seems wrong to be working on a pipe while smoking a cigar, no? :)