What's new

Lodge Cast Iron Skillets

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Pretty cool but I don't think that would do much in my place other than move the smoke outside the kitchen and into the living room more.
NO exterior window in your kitchen?

My issue is that the previous owner of our townhouse (let's call him Mr. Fuckwad McStupidFace) put in an over-the-stove microwave with the built in range hood that just recirculates the air. And it was the wrong size so it only draws the smoke/fumes/odors from the two back burners and not the main high-BTU burner I need for searing with the cast iron. Frankly, if my wife would let me, I'd stack about 12 of these units in the windows if it would help.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
NO exterior window in your kitchen?

My issue is that the previous owner of our townhouse (let's call him Mr. Fuckwad McStupidFace) put in an over-the-stove microwave with the built in range hood that just recirculates the air. And it was the wrong size so it only draws the smoke/fumes/odors from the two back burners and not the main high-BTU burner I need for searing with the cast iron. Frankly, if my wife would let me, I'd stack about 12 of these units in the windows if it would help.
Nope, no window in my kitchen. Nearest window is all the way on the other side of living room. And yes I have a stupid microwave over my stove as well with the most useless piece of shit hood system I've ever seen.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Nope, no window in my kitchen. Nearest window is all the way on the other side of living room. And yes I have a stupid microwave over my stove as well with the most useless piece of shit hood system I've ever seen.
Last year I was going to put in a hood that vents to the outside. Found a nice one (about $400), was about to order it, then realized...
  1. We're in an interior town hour unit so the duct would have to run a minimum of 15' if I vent horizontally to the back of the unit or about 15' vertically if I went through the roof (with a possible need for a couple of 45 degree bends to avoid the bedroom). I don't do heights so there's another $300-500 for a contractor
  2. I would need a building permit because I have to cut through either the roof or wall of the unit and it's a $100 application fee and $100 inspection fee
  3. Since I am getting a building permit, I have to use a county-approved contractor, so now we're looking at $500-750 to run the duct
  4. A couple hundred more to repair/refinish the interior of the house from the newly installed duct.
So my $400 vent hood was going to cost an additional $1200-1400 all because I need to cut through the damn wall

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Last year I was going to put in a hood that vents to the outside. Found a nice one (about $400), was about to order it, then realized...
  1. We're in an interior town hour unit so the duct would have to run a minimum of 15' if I vent horizontally to the back of the unit or about 15' vertically if I went through the roof (with a possible need for a couple of 45 degree bends to avoid the bedroom). I don't do heights so there's another $300-500 for a contractor
  2. I would need a building permit because I have to cut through either the roof or wall of the unit and it's a $100 application fee and $100 inspection fee
  3. Since I am getting a building permit, I have to use a county-approved contractor, so now we're looking at $500-750 to run the duct
  4. A couple hundred more to repair/refinish the interior of the house from the newly installed duct.
So my $400 vent hood was going to cost an additional $1200-1400 all because I need to cut through the damn wall
damn that sounds like a PITA!

I want to get my own house for 2 reasons. No shared walls, and to be able to have a nice hood system in my kitchen! It's not that much to ask is it? :)

Problem is, houses out here sell in like 3 hours for over asking. So I'll be renting for some time to come.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Oh yeah! I have a 12" skillet, a 10" deep cooker with lid (that can be used as a small skillet), and a Dutch oven. I love them.

Occasionally you'll want/need to reseason them. Not a big deal. I don't use Crisco, but you certainly can! When you season a pan, you want to bake it as hot as you can for at least an hour - this causes polymerization of the oil and the oil turns into an almost plastic or resin like substance that adheres to the skillet. Here's how I do it:
  1. I use flaxseed oil; it's the food safe version of linseed oil and has a really high smoking point.
  2. Get the pan nice and clean and dry.
  3. Coat the entire pan with the flaxseed oil and then use a paper towel to wipe all the oil off, leaving a very, very thin layer of oil in the pan.
  4. Put the pan upside-down into a preheated oven (475 degrees). I put it in upside down so that if there is any excess oil, it will drip out onto a layer of aluminum foil that I placed in the bottom of the oven. THe smoking point of flaxseed oil is higher than 475 so you can keep it in the hot oven as long as you want without filling your house with smoke.
  5. Let it "cook" for about 90 minutes and then turn the oven off. I keep it in the oven until it's cool enough to touch and take out with my bare hands.
I stay away from animal fats for seasoning the pan (lard, butter, bacon grease, etc.) as they have a low smoking point and can go rancid (actually, always check whatever oil you use to see if it has gone rancid before using it).
Remember, try to avoid using high acidic foods in it (like tomato sauce) and, for Cthulu's sake, don't put it through the dishwasher!
If it's taken care of, one of your grandkids can easily hand it down to one of their grandkids.
Thanks for the advice and seasoning instructions.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hell, i can do heights, but you need to pay my travel costs andfood, beer,etc... damn i might even cost you more then! ;)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My wife bought me this for cleaning it and I love it! Around $10-12, I think

I love my cast iron. I have multiple pieces, some old and some just a few years old. Do you have a link for this? I will also try flaxseed oil. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
But we could smoke cigars together and that would make it worthwhile

Sent from my iPhone using Crap-a-Talk
Yes it would! And if you need to warm up from the cold you can come down to Yuma. I think we are making our annual Yumaherf in Jan now, we did last time and it was great weather.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I was in Yuma once, passing through one weekend on a drive form San Diego to Phoenix. I stopped at some outdoor shopping mall for lunch, grabbed a couple of tacos that were amazing!