What's new

lookin for lurkers

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
3E32B33B-1788-42AE-9C4A-7D595DEE93D2.jpeg
Ok, got my cutting board and my glue is mixed. Think I’m going to make this my rolling table for now. Hopefully I will be giving this a go either tomorrow or Sunday. Cross your fingers!(y) Thanks again @webmost

Also, my neighbor is in the middle of stripping his dark fired tobacco crop. Ran into him today and he told be to come over tomorrow morning and he would give me a little dark fired tobacco if I wanted it. What do you guys think, maybe try and duplicate DE Kentucky Fired Cured? Just a thought.

Jody

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Answers will vary. Some live in a climate that is perfect humidity, some have climates too dry, maybe some have it too damp. I store mine in the bags and boxes they came in, bags taped shut. If the need added moisture to roll without crumbling, I'll spritz the leaves I'm using (not the whole pound) and let the moisture distribute. Webmost has a really cool setup with a rack in a cooler to humidify leaves without spritzing when he needs too.
It depends on your house humidity so there is no single right answer on how to store them.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Answers will vary. Some live in a climate that is perfect humidity, some have climates too dry, maybe some have it too damp. I store mine in the bags and boxes they came in, bags taped shut. If the need added moisture to roll without crumbling, I'll spritz the leaves I'm using (not the whole pound) and let the moisture distribute. Webmost has a really cool setup with a rack in a cooler to humidify leaves without spritzing when he needs too.
It depends on your house humidity so there is no single right answer on how to store them.
Thanks!(y)

Jody

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Bump this thread for Merry Christmas time.

I'm looking for a lurker on this BOTL forum who may want to try rolling their own for the first time. Someone who has been hanging round wondering, but who hasn't taken a leap at it. I will send you a kit for Christmas. I'll throw in filler, binder, and wrapper, along with some cigar glue. You rummage round the kitchen and dig up a breadboard or some such to work on, and an ulu or pizza cutter to cut your leaves with. Anyone here will gladly contribute how to advice and links to videos. All you have to do is try it out ... roll your own ... and then post some pics of your resultant sticks.

Who's up for a hobby?

Here's a link to a vid I made specifically for the raw beginner. It may not be THE WAY to torque a gar, but it is guaranteed to be A WAY that any rank fumblefingers can pop out a stick he can smoke and be proud of.

Who wants to give it a shot?
So I've fallen in love with this video. Your voice and manner of speaking, terms, phrasing etc make me feel so confident that I can do this. When I opened the package and saw how much stuff was in there, and how big it all was, I was quite intimidated. No way I could do this, I thought. But you just calmed me right down. I can't wait to give it a shot! I also want you to be my grandfather. And I want to use your method of instruction to teach my child everything. I'm feeling so inspired right now! Thanks a ton!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Bump this thread for Merry Christmas time.

I'm looking for a lurker on this BOTL forum who may want to try rolling their own for the first time. Someone who has been hanging round wondering, but who hasn't taken a leap at it. I will send you a kit for Christmas. I'll throw in filler, binder, and wrapper, along with some cigar glue. You rummage round the kitchen and dig up a breadboard or some such to work on, and an ulu or pizza cutter to cut your leaves with. Anyone here will gladly contribute how to advice and links to videos. All you have to do is try it out ... roll your own ... and then post some pics of your resultant sticks.

Who's up for a hobby?

Here's a link to a vid I made specifically for the raw beginner. It may not be THE WAY to torque a gar, but it is guaranteed to be A WAY that any rank fumblefingers can pop out a stick he can smoke and be proud of.

Who wants to give it a shot?
Oh, I forgot a couple questions. Concerning mold, are you spritzing the leaf/rolling station with distilled water? What about the humidifier that's running? Those things can incubate mold as well. How do you avoid mold with so much moisture?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I've fallen in love with this video. Your voice and manner of speaking, terms, phrasing etc make me feel so confident that I can do this. When I opened the package and saw how much stuff was in there, and how big it all was, I was quite intimidated. No way I could do this, I thought. But you just calmed me right down. I can't wait to give it a shot! I also want you to be my grandfather. And I want to use your method of instruction to teach my child everything. I'm feeling so inspired right now! Thanks a ton!
No love button to click. so, I'll write it. Love this!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Oh, I forgot a couple questions. Concerning mold, are you spritzing the leaf/rolling station with distilled water? What about the humidifier that's running? Those things can incubate mold as well. How do you avoid mold with so much moisture?
V-man

I have zero distilled water in the house. Being as I live in Delaware, it's true that a copious amount of water distilled by God falls on the yard fairly frequently... but that's why we had the old roof replaced last Spring, to keep that distilled water out. When I want distilled, I turn to Balvenie. Close as distilled water gets to the home office where I am typing this and where I roll my sticks is that from time to time a gust of wind may knock some of God's best against the window.

Seriously, this whole distilled water obsession seems to me about as silly as hand sanitizer. Hell, I even change my motorcycle oil without blue latex gloves. I have gone so far as to swat a fly all hand nekkid. It's a dirty world. I'm a dirty guy.

I smoked a store bought gar today while watching the Army Navy game. Someone on the cigar.com forum sent it to me, I forget why. It was an Opus X. Prolly cost the guy a fortune. Good cigar; tho I was comforted to find that I myself have rolled and stashed any number of gars which I thought tasted just as good. Bliss or Marc could readily roll you one that looks as good. But the point I am spiraling around to light on is that the water used to wet the leaf and mix the glue that went into making that revered Opus X ... you almost certainly would not want to drink it. Fair chance of giardia or at least Moctezuma's revenge if you did. Yet the guy who pays a fortune for a stick like that will treat it with kid gloves, use distilled in his humidifier, put it in a humidor seasoned with distilled, like it was all a religious ritual. Bull. If you are worried about chlorine, leave the water set & that stuff will fly away. Or use bottled. Distilled is just throwing money out the window. I know guys insist on distilled water for their glue even. Honestly, how much fluoride is in the half drop of water you fetch when you dab a fingertip in the glue pot? What's smaller than a nano?

Mold? Never had it.

Now pay close attention to this right here => The method I show in that vid is not any method I use at this point. It is not THE method. It is only A method. I'm just showing A simple way that any ordinary guy can pop out his first gar without driving himself crazy worrying about details. The farther you progress prolly the drier you roll. This is not a demo of the perfect method. It's simply to show a newb to say "I can do this!" That's it. There are plenty and plenty of vids showing cats who have rolled hundreds of thousands over a 30 year career. They mostly demonstrate how to lay a flawless wrapper. That's not this. I was just trying to fill a hole. I asked myself: "Where's the vid shows a guy how to pop out a presentable stick right off the bat?"

Take the test gar I rolled last night: a single core leaf of Corojo 99, two and a half leaves of Nicaraguan seco, bound in a half leaf of Connecticut broadleaf I scored at FX Smith's, wrapped in a half leaf of CT shade scored the same place. The Nic and Corojo came as is right from the bag shipped from Whole Leaf Tobacco. The Nic had been in that bag for a couple years, in fact. Zero water involved. The CT Broadleaf was prolly the most carefully dampened up, being as I had to unravel some pretty squiggly wrapper leafs to flatten one out. They were in the conditioning tub a couple days. The CT shade was prolly only in the conditioning chamber half a day. I set the result in front of the hearth a couple hours and fired it up. Entirely satisfactory.

Do not wet your filler. Only dampen your binder just enough to make it flexible. Then dampen your wrapper so's it will lay flat. Dry the stick and spark it. Mold does not come into the discussion.

Nor should any other species of worry. Just whip out a stick like it ain't no rocket surgery.

Have fun is it.

Hey this Opus X above is the first gar pic from my new phone. I have high hopes it will snap much better images than my old pocket phone.