What's new

Looking for a new tv *UPDATE*

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
So I'm in the market for a new tv, my 5 yr old rear projection 55 " is on its way out, I know, shocking isn't it?! What are my best options, the only thing ill be doing with this tv is watching football/ sporting events and Xbox. I'd like to get the biggest screen as possible with the best picture. My budget is well under a grand, prob 8 tops. Plasma worth it?? Lcd worth it for smaller size? Any help.appreciated.
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Through my research I found Plasma the way to go as long as you are not putting the TV into a room with a lot of windows or lights that could cause nasty reflections. If you dont have either of those, you could get a picture better than lcd for half the cost or so.

Valverdes

"Connecticut"
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My brother scored a "last one" special pricing on a Panasonic 55' lcd for only $750. He was looking at the 46' panasonic or vizio in the same price range I believe. His TV is bright and crystal clear.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
Get a Vizio LCD ...
Vizio has a ton of issues where the colors start to blend and fade over the course of the first year. Second I can not get behind a product that has multiple class action lawsuits against them for mis use of patented technology with out paying royalties. They are nice for 3 months then go to shit in my opinion.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I agree with Funk...

you would probably have decent luck going to a best buy or Frys and looking into their "open Items" or returned items. They usually have some decent deals...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Plasma is going to give you the richest blacks, but its older tech, heavy, and generates alot of heat. The LED tv's are the lightest in the market, produce little to no heat, and still bring a great picture. Look for high refresh rates, and high contrast ratios, 1080p and 3 or more HDMI inputs. In your price range your going to see around a 42/46". My 2Cents...

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Plasma is going to give you the richest blacks, but its older tech, heavy, and generates alot of heat. The LED tv's are the lightest in the market, produce little to no heat, and still bring a great picture. Look for high refresh rates, and high contrast ratios, 1080p and 3 or more HDMI inputs. In your price range your going to see around a 42/46". My 2Cents...
not overly familiar with the LED's but above seems like pretty solid advice... I bought a Samsung Plasma for the same reasons you are looking for an upgrade yourself... Fooseball and gaming! ZERO issues... Good Luck!

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Through my research I found Plasma the way to go as long as you are not putting the TV into a room with a lot of windows or lights that could cause nasty reflections. If you dont have either of those, you could get a picture better than lcd for half the cost or so.
This...

My BIL is super tech nerd / TV junkie....and pretty much advised me on the same as the above a year and half or so ago.

Ended up buying a 54" LG Plasma at Costco for $899...and i've absolutely loved it.

For what you're planning to do on it (football, gaming), Plasma would be my advice...as long as like Justin said, it'd be in a low light room. They're CHEAP now too.....and burn-in is no longer the issue it once was......image retention does exist, but it's a non-issue IMO.

For Plasma, you can't go wrong w/ Panasonic, LG, or Samsung.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I support a couple High Tech Elec companies and have directly worked w/ one of their LCD divisions.

Plasma is great and usually the best bang for the buck, great for fast action (sports and video games). Does put off a decent amount of heat but no more than your rear projection, so not a big negative.

LED Backlit rates as high in color and refresh as plasma, but comes at a price due to the thiness of the units. Only this style of LED compares to plasma though. LED Edgelit does not compare and can struggle w/ sports/video games depending (vizio and other cheaper models).

For your budget, get a name brand plasma.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
biggest screen you say? for 8 bills?
forget the standard plasma, lcd, led crap
prepare to go big or go home i say lol!
get the brand spankin new Optoma GT750E.
in a lit room, these easily get you a 120"+ image (thats HUGE).
iprefer @100" myself.:wink:

pcmag gave last years gt720 an editors choice
this new one has hdmi 1.4a for 3D BR

you dont like it? which i very much doubt, return it :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
the tv would be in my basement, its like draculas cave down there or a room scarface could sit in for days if you catch my drift. so light is not an issue, thankns for the help gents looks like i got some window shopping to do! Id be surprised if i didnt get a plasma though, price wise it makes the most sense. only time will tell, illl kyp.

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
the tv would be in my basement, its like draculas cave down there or a room scarface could sit in for days if you catch my drift. so light is not an issue, thankns for the help gents looks like i got some window shopping to do! Id be surprised if i didnt get a plasma though, price wise it makes the most sense. only time will tell, illl kyp.
you won't be dissapointed with a plasma.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If your close to COSTCO, go there and compare screens. I looked at plasma, LED and LED LCD and found the latter to be the best. For the money, under 1 grand, I'd go with Vizio or LG in a LED.

Good luck!

Jeff:smokingme

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Samsung 2010 or 2011 series 7000 or higher. Internet ready and the LCD/LED picture is crary good. Plus 3D.
I have a 6000 series which has the same display just without all the extra internet stuff and I love it. It is side lit, but you only notice it during very dark scenes.

If you are mounting it on the wall then LED LCD all the way. The Samsung ones are super thin. LED lit also uses less power so its like... eco friendly.

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Get a Sony LCD, plasma is ancient technology and there is a reason they cost less....you get less!

---
- / Ben Bockbrännarbolmers