What's new

Looking for a new tv *UPDATE*

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
LG is the top brand for me... If you ever put an LG next to anything else that shares similar specs, the LG is just always better.
Brandsmart is great for comparison, as are Sears and Costco and BJ's

Since price is an issue, I would go with Plasma. Plasma offers great colors, and overall really great picture. You can pick up a 50'' 1080p LG plasma for like $750. I doubt you would be disappointed with that. A great TV at a great price.

And watch this
http://www.cnet.com.au/plasma-vs-lcd-which-is-right-for-you-240036500.htm

Last edited:

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Get a Sony LCD, plasma is ancient technology and there is a reason they cost less....you get less!

---
- / Ben Bockbrännarbolmers

I have to disagree with this... There is no proof that Plasma offers less than LCD, and it's not an Ancient technology. Plasma offers everything thing that LCD does.

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I have to disagree with this... There is no proof that Plasma offers less than LCD, and it's not an Ancient technology. Plasma offers everything thing that LCD does.
x2....

and I'd add you might wanna watch that cnet vid Danilo posted Ben. The reviewer actually mentions plasma as having superior technology and as being more expensive (the latter of which surprised me more considering the current pricing). Unless of course i'm just remembering it wrong....I have had a few beers already while I was grillin'...lol.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Alright guys, going tomorrow after work hopefully. Prob going to go palsma unless theres a sick lcd price drop. kyp

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Dude, bring your phone and compare prices to Amazon. Free shipping and no tax on a tv that is usually priced very competitively is awesome. Every tv I have picked up in the last 2-3 yrs was through them and saved hundreds/

JP8

USAF Retired
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Vizio has a ton of issues where the colors start to blend and fade over the course of the first year. Second I can not get behind a product that has multiple class action lawsuits against them for mis use of patented technology with out paying royalties. They are nice for 3 months then go to shit in my opinion.
I've had my Vizio for a few years now with no picture quality issues. Maybe I got lucky.:dunno:

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you will be doing some heavy gaming then I would stay away from plasma. Games tend to project still images at either corners which over time can cause burn-in. I would go LCD in this case.

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
If you will be doing some heavy gaming then I would stay away from plasma. Games tend to project still images at either corners which over time can cause burn-in. I would go LCD in this case.
that may have been the original plasmas...but after a few years no burn in...I have a plasma I got right before the 2006 World cup, and it looks as good now as it did then.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Get a Plasma. For the money its the best buy over and over. As far as ancient tech goes I can't wait to hang my 08 Pioneer Elite 50 again. It was recently articled in Feb of this year on Cnet as still being the best Tv ever made. Have fun with the decision making its always a wild ride.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
As others have said, burn in is not an issue anymore. Ghosting may happen (like burn in but temporary) but watching a show or 2 will make it disappear. Plasmas also have screen wipes now where it is a continuing pattern of black and white waves to get rid of the smallest instances of ghosting.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
And just for reference...

LED = LED LCD....LED is the light source LCD is the display...

Plasma for the money is the best choice.

Also, don't compare picture quality in the store. All are setup different in the store and they'll tune certain models to show better to sell them when running a promo, so if you see one that is significantly better (display wise) in the store, you're seeing it because they want you to.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Also, don't compare picture quality in the store. All are setup different in the store and they'll tune certain models to show better to sell them when running a promo, so if you see one that is significantly better (display wise) in the store, you're seeing it because they want you to.
Yeah, this X 10.

Most store TVs are in their "Vivid" or "Showroom" mode. When you find a couple you like change their picture settings to "Movie" or whatever that mode is called on that specific tv. That mode will get you almost "true" colors, the way the movie, tv show, game etc. was meant to be displayed.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
biggest screen you say? for 8 bills?
forget the standard plasma, lcd, led crap
prepare to go big or go home i say lol!
get the brand spankin new Optoma GT750E.
in a lit room, these easily get you a 120"+ image (thats HUGE).
iprefer @100" myself.:wink:

pcmag gave last years gt720 an editors choice
this new one has hdmi 1.4a for 3D BR

you dont like it? which i very much doubt, return it :thumbsup:
never mind this got pushed back to oct :angerhead

your basement is perfect for these babies!

3d is a fad anyways, look for the optoma gt720 at best buy
and enjoy this, on a plain wall

honestly, 50" is weak. again, you dont like it? return it....

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
well ii went w the lg 60" plasma. its awesome,thanks for the help gentlemen. my new question is whats the best hdmi input outhere? are the expensive ones any different from the semi-cheapones?

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
HDMI cables do not differ, the guts of them are all the same. Some use "gold" connectors etc but it isn't worth the extra money.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my 50" Panasonic Vierra. It is a newer plasma technology that is supposed to last longer and be less effected by glare and burn in. Me and the boys watch allot of football on it! Cigars on the porch at half time!