What's new

Looking to get a V cutter

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I "think" this is the V Cutter Rupe mentioned:

V Cutter at Amazon.com

He had it at the last MN Herf and it looked to be very, very solid and made a deeper cut than my Xikar. In hindsight, I would have opted for the cutter Rupe showed us. Not because it was less expensive, but because it was better IMO.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I went with a Xikar just for the warranty. Also, I like how the Xikar blades are inverted so that the tip of the "V" wont pinch the cap and tear it. Great design and you cant beat a Xikar warranty.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
What do you do with tar buildup when using a v cutter?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The hardwood V Cutter is a copy off of the boston V cutter...that one is called the "Lil Guy" and they cost over a $100. I bought one about 14 years ago and it has stood the test of time..better quality and everything else. The copies tend to be you get what you get...some like em and then they fall apart later and get dull and tear the tobacco pretty bad. Having said that the Xikar V Cutter is a good one as well and with the their warranty you're good for the rest of your life.
Thanks for the info about the Boston Cutter Little Guy. I have never heard of it before.

It certainly does look like my V cutter. I guess I don't see the knock-off cutter ever falling apart as it is a very simple design. ( I have a mechanical background and I really appreciate simple and effective designs). The v-cutter "blade" looks to be made of tool steel or something similar with razor sharp edges. Mine has easily cut over 1000 cigars with no noticeable change in outcome since my first cut with it. If it ever does dull, you remove a few small screws and you can easily sharpen the cutting edges.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat, but probably wouldn't shell out over $100 for the original as I'd be terribly upset if I lost or mis-placed it when golfing or something.

Thanks again for the info.
Both types are made the same only the Boston V Cutter is made with better stock..hence the higher charge. You're right about not wanting to lose it....even though I have had mine for 13 years...I keep it in one place all the time and never take it out with me unless it's in a Herf a Dor and then I put it right back. The cheaper version is as you said...a few screws and you take out the "blade" and sharpen it but hopefully you do it right or you just end up with torn tobacco and it won't clean cut the cigar. I've never had to do anything to mine...probably has done literally thousands of cuts and it's like a sharp knife through butter.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Boston Little Guy is one darn nice cutter no doubt.
The only reason I bought mine was because I was using the regular Boston V Cutter....the big one! I was a member of a great B&M in Framingham, Ma. and the store had this cutter at the desk for everybody to use...hand a nice big handle on it and the leverage you had when making your V Cut was amazing....fast, sharp and by far was the best ever V Cutter I've ever used...should be as this thing at that time in 1998 went for around $600. So I asked the owner if he could cut me a deal on the price and he brought out the Lil Guy...and said this one was just as good only smaller so that you could 'take it with you' and use. I used it to see how good.....again, it was just too good a cut and I was sold and paid my $100. This is a much copied V cutter and while imitation is often said to be the sincerest form of flattery....the copies just don't work the same as the real thing. The Xikar does a great job and I have one of those as well...nice thing about it is that it's got a lifetime warranty as long as you don't lose it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do with tar buildup when using a v cutter?
Following up on this question? Does anyone see an increase in tar buildup with a V-cut versus a straight cut. I've heard that the smaller cut of a punch or a V-cut increases the chance of tar buildup. I had never seen this till last week when I used a very small punch on a JDN Cabinetta lancero that had tar oozing out the tip.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Since I recieved this I have used it on about ten cigars, the largest being an LFD triple threat and have not had issues with tar build up.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got the Xikar based on this thread and love it. V cut seems to fall somewhere between a cut and a punch. No problems with tar buildup or bitterness.