What's new

&*&^%$#@! Lost My Job

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
My boss has terminal brain cancer, it's been going on for about 8 months now. So yesterday he tells our IT guy that his hours are cut in half and my position is being eliminated in two weeks. So I have two weeks left of work and 16 vacation days coming to find a new job. This just totally sucks.

I can't imagine what he's thinking, I'm the only other salesperson in the company and his cancer has recently took a turn for the worse, so once he's to ill to work, nobody will be here to run the company. He explains it as an "assumed risk" which makes no sense to me. I know his personal financial situation is tough with all the medical expenses, but saving a few K a month in payroll isn't gonna be the answer.

Not sure who I feel more sorry for, him or me. :cursing:

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
That's bulls-it. I feel bad for the guy, but come on. You can't bring everything around you down with you.

Wish there was something I could do bro.

It is for those unpredictable reasons that I want to start my own business. Really interested in a Cigar joint.

Good Luck Bro.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Sorry to hear about your situation. It sucks (even worse for your employer - prayers sent for him) ... but hopefully you will find some new opportunities very quickly. Doors will always open for talented, hard-working people.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Wow, that sucks. My thougths and prayers are with you.

I'm a firm believer things happen for a reason.

Good luck.

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My uncle died of brain cancer, and a couple months before he checked out his behavior went absolutely erratic as hell. He started doing all manner of things that made no sense. This sounds like that to me.

Good luck man, sucks to be on the receiving end of someone else's raw deal. :(

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Seeing how your boss has terminal brain cancer, he gets my sympathy. It can be tough to be out of work, but at least you'll still be alive. No offense to you, Wade.
None taken.

But I've got over 15 years in with this guy, I just thought our friendship meant more than my payroll to help his expenses. I guess not.

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Like I said, he may not be properly registering your friendship and tenure with him because his brain may be on the fritz. Don't eat yourself up trying to figure out why he'd toss that aside, it's quite possible there is no reason other than the cancer attacking his mind.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
so sorry to hear,,, i can't even imagine being in his situation. it appears to me that you are very grounded, so i'm sure you'll bounce back! it does suck though....

when you're ready, i'll put in a order for my custom humidor!!

sarnone

Mithrandir
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Sorry bro. I'm 56 and have gone through my share of layoffs, mergers/acquisitions and company bankruptcies. I was in telecom for 20 years and said f*^% it, I'm out. I took all sorts of civil service tests and landed a dispatch job with the City of Rochester Water Bureau. I don't make anywhere near what I was making but I don't have to worry about this stuff anymore. This may be something to look into if you can handle the pay scale. You could also approach your boss and ask if there is any way that you and some other employees/investors could buy the company. You never know if there are any of the folks you have networked over the past few years are looking to do something like this.

Good luck and God bless my friend.

Sam

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Man, that is a rough situation.

How about you start doing wood working full time. You're certainly more than qualified from what I've seen.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Wade, I feel bad that you have lost your job, but your boss is fighting brain cancer. He's clearly not thinking straight. My mother in law died from cancer. It was lung cancer but it traveled to her brain and she was very erratic the last two months of her life. Don't judge him harshly. I know that's hard to do as your life is changed because of his decision, but he's in a bad place right now.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Wade,
Sorry to hear about your job situation and your boss, it sucks. I think it is poor judgment on his part letting you go. You appear to be a talented and motivated individual. I’m sure you’ll land on for feet just fine and for the better.
Best of luck,
Rick