What's new

Lp # 9 -- meh

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I smoked my first LP # 9 yesterday - Robusto size. I really didn't find it to be anything special - especially @ $10.95.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good smoke but i can't see this being a regular smoke for me. They are too hard to find and (in my opinion) overpriced. I just find that for my taste there are many better cigars out there @ that price point.

I'm very disappointed I fell for the hype. Maybe the hype is why i was expecting so much more?

I did buy a T 52 also and will try that soon - but it was $13.95. Not sure what the size name is but it is 7" long and looks to be about a 52 - 54 rg. It was the only size the shop had or i would have picked up a Robusto size (seems to be the size i go toward most often).

I had previously smoked the LP UC too and while it was a very smooth cigar, I found it to be kinda bland.

I guess it really does show how everyone has different tastes profiles that they enjoy. Again, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't good enough @ $10.95.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share my disappointment. :waving:

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Smoke what you like & like what you smoke. I personally love pretty much anything LP, but like you said, taste is a very subjective thing...

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There are so many good cigars out there, we live in a market where there truly is something for everyone. What will be interesting to me is to see how your tastes for things change and in maybe 2-3 years if you will fall in love with the LP series because of that.

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Smoke what you like & like what you smoke. I personally love pretty much anything LP, but like you said, taste is a very subjective thing...
Yep, agree 100% about the taste thing. I was just really bummed because i was expecting the holy grail of cigars.

First i was all excited because the B&M had them on the shelf and i was finally going to have one. Then i was a little disappointed.

Same thing happened with my first Opus X - now the Anejo - that blew my socks off.

But I guess this is all part of the fun of being a new cigar smoker.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had a similar initial experience with the LP#9, but I'm glad I revisited them. I've found for my tastes that they need at least 6 months of age before I can really enjoy them, so it might be worth it to pick up a few more singles and just let them sit for awhile and see if that does anything. Like others said, smoke what you enjoy, but for me LP products rank high.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
One thing to consider is the humidity in which the 9 was stored. Higher humidity and it is a bland smoke, but when you store it in lower 60s, it really shines.

I pulled one out last minute to smoke after a cook out, and my humidor has been a bit high due to the weather here in the NE and I was disappointed as well. A far cry from my experiences when I properly store them in the low 60s.

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I have a question about th #9 and since it was brought up here, I will post here rather than a new post.

I picked up a couple of #9 robustos the other day at my local B&M, (he did some horse trading to get that box because he doesn't have a LP account).
When I got home and placed them in the Coolidor - I pulled out a couple of #9's that i had picked up in Dallas over 2 years ago. There was a HUGE color difference. The ones with age were 5 shades lighter than the new ones? Does this mean the oils have left, or is just the natural progression of these cigars as they age? Have they passed their prime? Will there be drasitc flavor differences?

Thanks for any imput and if this is considered hijacking a thread, let me know and i will move it...

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I like the No. 9 over the T52 personally. Just like ckay said, humidity definitely factors taste with the LP's.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I agree with you, carholio, I'm not a fan. I've had several, because I thought it was a fluke at first. But, after quite a few, I'm just not a fan.

Doesn't mean it's a bad cigar, just means it isn't for me. (Believe me, it has friends in that camp, lol.)

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never smoked any Liga's other than the Undercrown. I am a DE fan, I just do not have the kind of cash to purchase those smokes. That and I am not a huge full fan. I prefer the mild to medium or the medium to full which the undercrown is. Speaking of which I am about to burn my last one of. Every pallet is different so get what you enjoy! Keep burning and have a great one!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
no hate, go with what works for YOU. i will however honestly second (or fourthth) revisiting them. my first t52 and lp9 were both meh. NEXT time i tried (and actually kept them in my stash for a couple weeks so they smoked MY way), and totally different beastie.

and at the end of it, if you are happy burning two $5 smokes over that liga, and still want to share that here, good on you, and more for them, and all is well. o)

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
I have a question about th #9 and since it was brought up here, I will post here rather than a new post.

I picked up a couple of #9 robustos the other day at my local B&M, (he did some horse trading to get that box because he doesn't have a LP account).
When I got home and placed them in the Coolidor - I pulled out a couple of #9's that i had picked up in Dallas over 2 years ago. There was a
HUGE color difference. The ones with age were 5 shades lighter than the new ones? Does this mean the oils have left, or is just the natural progression of these cigars as they age? Have they passed their prime? Will there be drasitc flavor differences?

Thanks for any imput and if this is considered hijacking a thread, let me know and i will move it...
Strictly variation in leaf. It was discussed before that current release of lp's are much darker. Flavor will mellow somewhat over time but usually for the better.
On another note, I've never really understood the purpose of posting a thread saying what you don't like. Since all taste is subjective, what does it really matter?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I personally love the Liga #9 but actually find I like them with about 4 months on them in my Humi at 65%. Even if I picked em up at a B&M. I have had a few ROTS and been less than blown away. Not that they are bad ROTS but just not as mature and explosive to my palette. Like everyone says though, to each his own. Give that T52 some rest before you attack it. Unless you like a little more pepper in your cigar. ROTS they tend to be pretty stout, but they mild over time.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
On another note, I've never really understood the purpose of posting a thread saying what you don't like. Since all taste is subjective, what does it really matter?
With all the posts praising Ligas and the like, I can see why he would want to post his feelings on it. Not like he was making a "yeah, I didn't really like the Flor de Oliva..." post.

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's definitely a cigar that likes low humidity, 62% is pretty on-point. Everyone that I've known that didn't like them smoked them ROTT or store their cigars at over 65% RH...so basically both would be what I'd, personally, call high humidity.

That's not to say that you just don't like it, like it's been said, everyone has their own tastes....it's just something I've noticed.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ya kind of sucks that different sticks do better at different Humidity. Makes it kind of a balancing act based on whats in your humi. Part of why I have 3 of the darn things. That and the fact that I keep freaking BUYING sticks.