What's new

Machine Made or Hand Made or Hand Finished

brainvictim

Whats going on over here?
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey guys, I have a question concerning your opinion.

Do you think that Machine Made cigars, match the Taste or Feel of Hand Made. I keep seeing some that are Hand rolled finished, and of course the regular Hecho a Mano.

I ask because on my search for an upcoming purchase, I want to get opinions and do some homework. I am actually more interested on Guantanamera, Fonseca, and Bolivar. Those are the ones that are calling attention to me right now.

I thank you guys for any and all help. :smokingme

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have very little experience with machine-made cigars. From my understanding they are not of quality anywhere near that of hand made premium Habanos. However, many are good "yard gars" or even a fine cigar when you don't want to burn up one of your precious ones. But the quality definitely isn't equal...just not a horrible cigar either. The price isn't equal either...usually you get what you pay for. I hope I was of help bro!

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Jason is right in that you definitely get what you pay for. I would go with either Fonseca or Bolivar. Which cigars were you looking at so we might help you more? :dunno:

brainvictim

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks guys, thats pretty much what I was thinking as well.

To answer your question as to what I was looking at:

Bolivar : Tubos #1 - #3
Royal Coronas

Diplomaticos : #2 #3

Fonseca : KDT Cadetes
Delicias

I was looking at The Guantanamera just to try iot out as a cigar to smoke while I do lawn work, or to give out to people that want to try a cigar. I keep reading that its mild, thats the only attraction to it right now.

Thanks again guys for the help guys.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I'm mistaken, the Boli Tubos series are not machine made. The No.1 is the Boli Coronas, the No.2 is the Petit Coronas and the No.3 is something else. The Boli Bonitas is the only commonly available MM to my knowledge. But then I really haven't looked so I can't say for sure.

Wilkey

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
brainvictim said:
Thanks guys, thats pretty much what I was thinking as well.

To answer your question as to what I was looking at:

Bolivar : Tubos #1 - #3
Royal Coronas

Diplomaticos : #2 #3

Fonseca : KDT Cadetes
Delicias

I was looking at The Guantanamera just to try iot out as a cigar to smoke while I do lawn work, or to give out to people that want to try a cigar. I keep reading that its mild, thats the only attraction to it right now.

Thanks again guys for the help guys.
None of these cigars are machine made. All of them are hand made.
Haven't heard a single good thing about Guant., but I've never personally had one.

brainvictim

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think I need to clarify a bit more. I am not just looking at Machine made, I am also looking at hand made. The reason i asked was to see, if the machine made were actually worth getting. The only machine made are probadly the Guantanamera.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I must be missing something. Bolivar Tubos and Bonitas are all hand made..at least as far as I know. I checked MRN and it confirms that. Diplomaticos is an all hand made brand as well as far as I know Fonseca KDT Cadetes are also hand mande. The Delecias are like the only machine made on that list bro lol. You need to do some more research from the way it looks on my end. Unless something has changed recently...that's as far as I know. And, if you're looking for mild as you stated in your last sentence...well I don't know if I'd be going after Bolivar in that case. Boli isn't mild. Guantanamera is a totally machine-made brand. Good luck.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I would definitely try and get a hand made cuban cigar if you can swing it. To me, Diplo's are just too mild for me. I like the Boli RC's and haven't had the other 2 you mention. Fonseca's are a great bargain if you just want straight forward cuban tobacco taste. They're sort of a no frills cigar for me.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Ahh, I didn't see that last post. Guantanamera doesn't have much said about it. It's pretty mild that's about all I know. Not alot of talk. But like I said, if you're looking at that one, then Bolivar is on the other end of the spectrum. Best of luck in your searches.

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
In my opinion, if you want machine made, you can get domestic cigars for the same price that will be better. Machine made do not use the highest quality of tobaco. Usually is short to medium filler and is the left over scraps form the premium lines. But on the other hand for a cheap cuban, and not have to really take care of, or smoke half and toss it would be no big deal! I have a small handfull for short walks, yard work, etc. If you want cubans, go for the CUBANS!!!!!! Plus, if your a snotty smoker like I am, I would rather have another smoker realize I have a premium stick in my mouth instead of a cheap version of the real thing!!!

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
ps. Now I'm about to contradict my last post. Quintero, Partagas and H. Upman have some fairly decent machine made smokes!!! Now just make a decision and tell us what your getting already!!!!

brainvictim

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think I am still not explaining myself, for that I apologize.

here we go:

I am looking for opinions on Machine made tastes against Hand made. I am not exclusively looking to get machine made, but I am interested in them. The Guantanamera are more for a cigar to give to people that dont smoke as often and would like to try one. But only if its not an awful cigar, and maybe to smoke while cutting the grass or something.

I personally enjoy all ranges of cigars from mild to full bodied. Thats why I am looking to get probadly at least a box from each side of the scale. So, I hope that I cleared up the air a bit. Thanks again for all your guys help.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I agree with everyone about the Guantanamera's...I've heard they suck. The JL Piedra's are decent for what you pay for them, but then again...you get what you pay for.

I usually have a selection of Habanos Yard Gars on hand. I like the RyJ Clarines, Flor de Cano Predilecto AT, partagas toppers, and partagas perfectos. They are made from the trimings (I'm guessing) and although they don't taste like the hand made counterparts, they do the trick at quite a discount.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I dunno man, if you just want to give out cigars then either go for a good n/c or a PC or corona if you want to hand out cubans.

brainvictim

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
ohpus said:
ps. Now I'm about to contradict my last post. Quintero, Partagas and H. Upman have some fairly decent machine made smokes!!! Now just make a decision and tell us what your getting already!!!!

I still have to find the right one, I am planning on buying this probadly by the end of the month or beginning week of april. So once I get all the details straighten out I hope to make a somewhat educated purchase :help: . Keyword is hope.

Thanks alot guys for the info on the different ones to look at. Cant wait to get it all straighten out. :smokingme

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Cliff made a good point with the PC's to hand out. You can get great PC's for like just over a hundred bucks a box if you wanna hand out cubans only.