What's new

Machine Made or Hand Made or Hand Finished

brainvictim

Whats going on over here?
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The hand out ones was because they come in a ten or five pack, so thats why they looked appealing as well. I am probadly looking to spend around $250 to $300 or so for everything for the first purchase.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
When I am looking to turn people to the dark side and they have smoked a few cigars, I give them MC #4s. One of those and they are gone for life and the cost is very reasonable. Always better to give good stuff and watch their eyes glaze over than chopped leaf. Tried Vegueros but still like the MCs becasue everyone has heard of them and they believe they, (and they are) getting a treat. 2 cents

brainvictim

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
CWS said:
When I am looking to turn people to the dark side and they have smoked a few cigars, I give them MC #4s. One of those and they are gone for life and the cost is very reasonable. Always better to give good stuff and watch their eyes glaze over than chopped leaf. Tried Vegueros but still like the MCs becasue everyone has heard of them and they believe they, (and they are) getting a treat. 2 cents

I was actually looking at the MC series as well. I am leaning towards just getting the Bolivar tubos #2 or #3, and something else. Not sure what else, still looking for that siren to enchant me towards it.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
brainvictim said:
The hand out ones was because they come in a ten or five pack, so thats why they looked appealing as well. I am probadly looking to spend around $250 to $300 or so for everything for the first purchase.
300 for your first purchase. That's great man. You can really do well with that. I think one of the biggest things you need to look at is size since you already know your strength preference. Size makes a big difference in cuban cigar prices...much greater of a diff than n/c from what I've seen. You can get almost 3 boxes of some really great Corona sized Tubos from 3 different brands for 300 and some change. I'm salivatiting just thinking about what I'd do with your 300 bucks!!

:hysterica

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brainvictim said:
Do you think that Machine Made cigars, match the Taste or Feel of Hand Made.
Yes and no :)

If you can't tell the difference between say...a Boli RC and a VR Famoso, then you shouldn't worry about whether a MM will offer the same quality as a HM. The differences between the above examples are equal IMO and the pleasure you derive from each will be dependent on what you expect (and why) out of a cigar.

I read a LOT of reviews of cigars and how 'great' each example is- without quantifying or having a frame of reference to compare to. IMO If a person can't say 'why' he likes a cigar, then he has more things to worry about than MM or HF.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I can give a + vote for the Delicias as an affordable but good cigar. Not too strong but still has a bite. I've grabbed for one of these the last few times I took the dog for a walk :thumbsup:

brainvictim

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
MichiganM said:
300 for your first purchase. That's great man. You can really do well with that. I think one of the biggest things you need to look at is size since you already know your strength preference. Size makes a big difference in cuban cigar prices...much greater of a diff than n/c from what I've seen. You can get almost 3 boxes of some really great Corona sized Tubos from 3 different brands for 300 and some change. I'm salivatiting just thinking about what I'd do with your 300 bucks!!

:hysterica

I have been saving for this purchase since january, and if everything keeps going like it is, I should be able to make the purchase without to much hold back. :grin: I am also salivating just looking at all the different cigars available, so many cigars and not enought to buy them all. It would be nice to have one of each :grin: one day I hope, we can always dream. :smokingbo

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
brainvictim said:
I have been saving for this purchase since january, and if everything keeps going like it is, I should be able to make the purchase without to much hold back. :grin: I am also salivating just looking at all the different cigars available, so many cigars and not enought to buy them all. It would be nice to have one of each :grin: one day I hope, we can always dream. :smokingbo
Ahhh...we can all dream brother. That's part of the fun of this hobby.

brainvictim

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A thought has just occured to me. I only have a 100 count humi at the time, and it is a little bit more than halfway full. I dont know if it can hold a full box let alone 2.

This occured to me while looking for todays smoke. So the question at hand as well is do you need cedar lining for a cooledor, or just the right amount of beads? and what kind of preparation is needed for it to be ready to rock & roll.

I thank you guys once more for your great help.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
brainvictim said:
A thought has just occured to me. I only have a 100 count humi at the time, and it is a little bit more than halfway full. I dont know if it can hold a full box let alone 2.

This occured to me while looking for todays smoke. So the question at hand as well is do you need cedar lining for a cooledor, or just the right amount of beads? and what kind of preparation is needed for it to be ready to rock & roll.

No you do not need to cedar line a cooledor. Store your sticks in their box and maintain proper temp and humidity and that's it.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
brainvictim said:

]Bawahahahaha.....Doomed, doomed...to forever walk the earth looking for more storage for this weed. Smart move to go right to the coolidor..I have four humi's now that holf from 100 to 400 cigars. The coolidor is such a great simple solution.:yes:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Coolerdors rock!

Wine coolers rock more!

Cooled humi's with set and forget rock even more!

But uhh, yeah go for a cooler man!! No need for cedar, just put some beads in there and keep it in a relatively cool environment. Much luck. Oh, and put tons of cigars in there.

brainvictim

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am going to have to hold of on the purchase untill I get everything ready for such a commitment. :crying: I have to go and pick up a cooler, and then order some beads. I dont know if I can keep going of topic :help: , but How many beads to the size of the cooler is needed? I do apologize to the admin if I can't. Theres more to this purchase than choosing the cigars I want. I might just end up getting some sampler or something to start off. :crosseyed

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
From Viper's FAQ

“How much do I need for my ______?”

Here are some quantities for various containers.
5 cubic feet requires 1 pound of humidification beads.
1/3 pound of beads per 50 quarts (coolerdors)

Calculating the cubic area of your humi:
Measure the depth, width and height of you humi (example is 24” depth, 36” wide and 48” height)
Multiply the three; 24x36x48=41472 cubic inches
Divide 41472 by 1728 (number of cubic inches in a cubic foot) 41472/1728= 24 cubic feet
Divide the cubic feet by 5 (number of cubic feet per pound) 24/5 = 4.8
You would need 4.8 pounds of humidification beads for this humi.

Good luck on your purchases!! :smokingbo

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
1/2 pound to every 50 qt would be a good starting point based on Viper's equation I quoted under another thread. 1/2 pound worked great when I had my 50 qt cooler. You can never have too many beads, but you can have too few. So it's better to go over then be under. That's just my general suggestion..once you have your cooler size down and at home you can adjust. Anything bigger than 50 qt and I'd recommend 1 pound and up.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
brainvictim said:
I am going to have to hold of on the purchase untill I get everything ready for such a commitment. :crying: I have to go and pick up a cooler, and then order some beads. I dont know if I can keep going of topic :help: , but How many beads to the size of the cooler is needed? I do apologize to the admin if I can't. Theres more to this purchase than choosing the cigars I want. I might just end up getting some sampler or something to start off. :crosseyed
Mr. Beadman will ask you for the volume of your cooler, he'll figure it out for ya. Relax, you're in good hands.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Aww Tom copied and pasted it lol. That was the equation I was speaking of. He must have posted it as I was typing haha.

brainvictim

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Awesomeness guys, this will make my preparations much easier. I cant wait :clap: