-I won’t smoke it unless it is a Maduro
-I smoke all Maduros, with a few exceptions
-I prefer Maduros, but I am open to others
-50% Maduro, 50% other
-Maduros are good, but they are not my favorite
-Maduros are over-rated
-I strongly dislike Maduros
-Other – See my post

This thread is a follow up to an earlier thread where maduro was selected as the most popular wrapper: http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=42076

Last edited:

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
What is Maduro?

-San Andreas
-Connecticut Broadleaf
-PA Broadleaf
-Costa Rican (Jaltepec)
-Habano
-Brazilian Arapiraca
-Brazilian Mata Fine
-Oscuro

Maduro is not my favorite, but there are some Cameroon sticks that I won't go near. More importantly, I'd like to see the industry move away from some of the dirty secrets of Maduro.

1. Call it what it is, not the m-word. This will only help educate customers, etc...
2. Quit lying where you get stuff from. (1926, cough, cough...)
3. Quit all the crap that goes on with cooking, dying, etc..
4. Maduro is "ripe", not "dark" even Spanish dumbies like me can use Google Translate

P.S. I'm sick of seeing fairly heavy smokers think "Maduro" or dark = fullness, either in strength or flavor. San Andreas and Broadleaf are two very different breads.

Yes, I've been saving this rant for a while. No, this isn't the full version.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is Maduro?

-San Andreas
-Connecticut Broadleaf
-PA Broadleaf
-Costa Rican (Jaltepec)
-Habano
-Brazilian Arapiraca
-Brazilian Mata Fine
-Oscuro

Maduro is not my favorite, but there are some Cameroon sticks that I won't go near. More importantly, I'd like to see the industry move away from some of the dirty secrets of Maduro.

1. Call it what it is, not the m-word. This will only help educate customers, etc...
2. Quit lying where you get stuff from. (1926, cough, cough...)
3. Quit all the crap that goes on with cooking, dying, etc..
4. Maduro is "ripe", not "dark" even Spanish dumbies like me can use Google Translate

P.S. I'm sick of seeing fairly heavy smokers think "Maduro" or dark = fullness, either in strength or flavor. San Andreas and Broadleaf are two very different breads.

Yes, I've been saving this rant for a while. No, this isn't the full version.
Boy - you nailed the issues with Maduros here IMHO. I especially hate stained or coloring of the natural product... I will never smoke a Rocky Old World Res ever again as a result of this process. I LOVE PA Broadleaf too....
And no, darkness of leaf does not equal strength!

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Broadleaf is awesome but if you forget about corojo, you're retarded. Dark doesn't equal strength. Same with beer.

And on that note there are more types of beer than "dark" and "light." if I hear anyone say "oh, that's a great dark beer" I'm gonna punch myself in the face.

And any RP maduro isn't a maduro but more like a piece of dyed leather.

/rant

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I'll try any cigar but I find myself gravitating toward cigars with more flavor these days and the cigars I have in mind aren't on your list.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I do realize maduro encompasses a lot of different leaf, types fermentation,or even sometimes questionable processes. Yet when asked to choose between maduro or natural of the same vitola, I find myself going for the maduro more often than not. I can say that for the padron anniversaries, olivas, fuente chateaus, and tat brown labels. Exception would be the cc cohiba maduros. Maybe I just got some bad batches but the ones I've had can't compare in flavor and complexity to their natty brethren.

As everyday smokes, Tampa sweetheart maduros, famous plascencia maduritos and mr. B mixed filler maduros are my go-to's together with Sinclair sungrowns.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm sure that this will negate any credibility that I might have, but I've yet to really love a maduro (nicest I've had is a PAM 1964 45 Years).
I don't really taste the chocolate and coffee that everybody raves about but I tend to get more earthy and bitter flavors (got thick, chewy mushroom off the PAM 64 45 ... odd).

I'm in LOVE with sungrowns though!!! Can't get enough of em'!

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm sure that this will negate any credibility that I might have, but I've yet to really love a maduro (nicest I've had is a PAM 1964 45 Years).
I don't really taste the chocolate and coffee that everybody raves about but I tend to get more earthy and bitter flavors (got thick, chewy mushroom off the PAM 64 45 ... odd).

I'm in LOVE with sungrowns though!!! Can't get enough of em'!
I typically don't get the chocolate and coffee flavor from Maduro's. I think its just a misconception from its darker color. I've tasted that flavor profile more from non-Maduro's.

If you want some nice and affordable Maduro's:

Padron Delicias Maduro
Oliva Series G Robusto Maduro
CAO Brazilia Piranha Maduro
CAO Black VR Totem Maduro
Carlos Torano Virtuoso Encore Maduro
Perdomo Lot 23 Robusto Maduro
La Gloria Cubana Series R #4 Maduro

For higher end theres a lot of great options as well:

Liga Privada No. 9
Padron Anniversary
Los Blanco's Nine
DPG Series JJ Maduro
Camacho Triple Maduro
La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chiselito Maduro

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
If you put a madruo wrapper on it, I'm probably going to want to try it :grin:. That said, I don't exclusively smoke maduros and I do enjoy several cigars that sport other kinds of wrappers.

Dan

ahbroody

Daddy X3
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I don't tend to like Maduro.
An above poster stated the liga privada 9 was a maduro which goes to the second posters comment about confusion. My understanding is the liga 9 is Oscuro.
Maduro can be from any part of the plant and is a fermentation process. Oscuro is the only the top primings and generally has a different flavor profile. Oscuro are not the same as maduro. If they were companies like LFD and many others would not make the same cigar in maduro and oscuro.