What's new

Magic: The Gathering

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So I THINK this is the appropriate section, since it is a game. I did a quick search and didn't see a thread, but if there is, will someone link it? I just started playing mtg ~6 weeks ago and was trying to see if anyone else was a mega nerd like me.

If there are brothers that do play, what format?

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
I played with real cards like 15 years ago...actually think I still have my original cards...do they play this online now?

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I played from 1993 - 2005 or there abouts. About 5 years ago or so I started playing Warcraft TCG and that was fun too.

Recently however, last year, I've been playing a LOT of Hearthstone. Think a free-to-play digital collectible card game that is basically like cocaine. Seriously the game is beautifully done, free, and I can play with any of my friends over the net.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
To answer your questions when I played tournaments I stayed away from constructed and did a lot of block, draft, and sealed format.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
How young of an age would you say Magic is suitable for?

My 6 year old (turns 7 in January) is totally into Pokemon cards and would probably make the transition to something MTG, when the time is right

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
How young of an age would you say Magic is suitable for?

My 6 year old (turns 7 in January) is totally into Pokemon cards and would probably make the transition to something MTG, when the time is right
MtG is significantly more complex that Pokemon (I played that fairly serious as well).

I would put Hearthstone on a laptop or iPad and take that as the next step. Even if the intent is to graduate to MtG later on.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Jon plays Hearthstone. I'll play it sometimes, but haven't in a while
I primarily played a hunter deck, so the patch they killed the early rush, I pretty much quit.

I've been playing a lot of limited myself. I've gone 2-1 the past 3 weeks, so I'm doing something right. I have a constructed deck that won me a box last Monday, and modern never makes so that deck is useless ATM. So my 6 weeks of no cigar purchases has gotten me a lot of cards... Back to buying cigars though :)

As for a 6yo, stay on Pokemon, as mtg is pretty complex (and the graphics can be scary).

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Same boat here. I played MTG from about '97-'02 then gave it up in college for poker and beer money.

Recently I've been playing hearthstone as well. Add me if you want, user name is the same as my Xbox1 gt: J39a9fh

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
sorry, was busy playing last night. o)

got in at the ass-end of arabian nights and the shift into antiquities, and played until about... not sure, but i remember trekking to indy for all three urza's block prerelease with my wife and two of our friends. sat out after that until onslaught, and have been in since.

format is "garage league", where we play a loose and unregulated legacy format, chaos mulitplayer, with anything any of us has access to. it's an honor league, where we don't ecourage aberrant builds except once or twice a year, and "put that f#@king deck away" is enough for us, and is really just an excuse to burn cigars and trash talk each other.

tapping gaea's cradle for twenty,
javanerd

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
sorry, was busy playing last night. o)

got in at the ass-end of arabian nights and the shift into antiquities, and played until about... not sure, but i remember trekking to indy for all three urza's block prerelease with my wife and two of our friends. sat out after that until onslaught, and have been in since.

format is "garage league", where we play a loose and unregulated legacy format, chaos mulitplayer, with anything any of us has access to. it's an honor league, where we don't ecourage aberrant builds except once or twice a year, and "put that f#@king deck away" is enough for us, and is really just an excuse to burn cigars and trash talk each other.

tapping gaea's cradle for twenty,
javanerd

Damn that's awesome! I have a couple buddys that play and smoke, but no where to do it at.

There is a lot.of structured leagues at the shops in town (3 total shops). Just wish I could smoke there :p