What's new

Maiden voyage

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I started drooling when I saw the ring bologna and couldn't stop after I saw the scallops and asparagus!

AWESOME grill forty!!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Love a good charcoal grill... looks awesome 40!

too many people rely on propane these days... wood and charcoal are becoming a lost art... glad to see youre keeping the faith brother!

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Love it! And agree with what others have said - great to see someone else using charcoal. Nothing like it. Is that a bottle opener I see attached??

Rating - 100%
69   0   0

too many people rely on propane these days... wood and charcoal are becoming a lost art... glad to see youre keeping the faith brother!
Agreed, its do to society as a whole and the need for instant gratification, "We an't got time for that".

Or am I reading into this to much....haha

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I have to admit... the speed of propane is appealing to me too... when Im just doing some quick burgers/dogs and trying to keep a house full of snot monsters at bay (kids)... there is nothing in the world better than propane...

but there is nothing in the world better than hardwood and/or charcoal for "the good stuff"...

I got lucky last year and found a great deal on a propane/charcoal combo grill.. its huge... and has a standard sized grill surface that is propane (3 burners).. a standard sized grill surface that is charcoal/wood driven.. a wood/charcoal fired "hot box" for smoking.. as well as a propane fired "sear" station as well.... all on one "grill".. It was on clearance at Sams.. I paid about $400 I think..

M-F I find myself using the propane pretty regularly (just trying to whip up something for dinner quickly)... but Sat/Sun are hardwood days....

Ribs, tenderloins, briskets, steaks, etc.. will never see propane at the mdwest house lol.... they die by the fire of hickory, mesquite, apple, and pear... combined with a wee bit of kingsford charcoal :)

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I have to admit... the speed of propane is appealing to me too... when Im just doing some quick burgers/dogs and trying to keep a house full of snot monsters at bay (kids)... there is nothing in the world better than propane...

but there is nothing in the world better than hardwood and/or charcoal for "the good stuff"...

I got lucky last year and found a great deal on a propane/charcoal combo grill.. its huge... and has a standard sized grill surface that is propane (3 burners).. a standard sized grill surface that is charcoal/wood driven.. a wood/charcoal fired "hot box" for smoking.. as well as a propane fired "sear" station as well.... all on one "grill".. It was on clearance at Sams.. I paid about $400 I think..

M-F I find myself using the propane pretty regularly (just trying to whip up something for dinner quickly)... but Sat/Sun are hardwood days....

Ribs, tenderloins, briskets, steaks, etc.. will never see propane at the mdwest house lol.... they die by the fire of hickory, mesquite, apple, and pear... combined with a wee bit of kingsford charcoal :)
That's cool, will look for one of noes next. I too depend on gas for now, we grill most nights so getting the food cooked quickly is key. But want to get back to charcoal.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0

looks like Sams sells them for $350 now (Im pretty sure I paid $379 for mine on "clearance" last year... )...

Ive owed a couple of grills that cost quite a bit more.. but none of them have been as flexible as this one.. (or cooked any better)...

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0

Agreed, its do to society as a whole and the need for instant gratification, "We an't got time for that".

No, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Charcoal and wood, all the way... With the help of travelingj, I even got away from lighter fluid. Never looking back.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
69   0   0

No, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Charcoal and wood, all the way... With the help of travelingj, I even got away from lighter fluid. Never looking back.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Use a chimney now? Best way ever, or at least for me.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I'm not sure ill ever own a propane grill. Charcoal and/or wood depending on what I'm cooking. If I'm gonna use a burner Im cooking in the kitchen. I've thought about the outdoor kitchen thing so if I get one that'll be it. I don't really see the big time difference between the two but again I've not cooked with propane. Why's propane faster?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
cook time isnt really any faster/slower... 400 degrees is 400 degrees no matter where the heat is coming from...

the time savings is in set up and tear down...

I can hit the "electric ignition" on the propane side of the grill.. and be at 400 degrees in about 90 seconds..

If I want to do that with charcoal.. its going to take me half an hour or more to get my bricks lit and at the right temp..

propane is also "easier" in that I can dial in my temp.. and be where I want to.. whether its 350.. or 450... in a matter of seconds.... if I need more heat.. I just turn a knob... if I need less heat... I just turn a knob.. etc..

when its time to stop grilling.. I simply turn off the heat.. and 30 minutes later the grill is cool enough to clean up a little bit and throw the cover back on... with charcoal Ive got to wait until the fire dies out (could be half an hour.. or a couple of hours depending on how hot I was cooking, and what I was cooking with).. before I can "tear down"....

but... propane just doesnt give you the same flavor IMO.. and its a lot harder to cook low/slow with IMO (I cant get my grill below about 275 with propane no matter what I do... but I can smoke at 195 - 225 all day long with mesquite and charcoal..)...

For burgers, brats, dogs, etc.. propane is hard to beat (IMO)..

but if youre venturing into anything nicer than that... charcoal and/or wood is the only way to fly (IMO)....

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Nice looking grill. I was just looking at that same one the other day at Lowes. It looked solid and well built.

Hope you enjoy it.
Yeah that's where I got it from. It'll do the trick Thinking about one from http://www.bbqpits.com/ lol but this one did well actually put out what I thought was alot of heat. I had to drop the coal tray all the way to the bottom. So definitely a good pick up so far.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
cook time isnt really any faster/slower... 400 degrees is 400 degrees no matter where the heat is coming from...

the time savings is in set up and tear down...

I can hit the "electric ignition" on the propane side of the grill.. and be at 400 degrees in about 90 seconds..

If I want to do that with charcoal.. its going to take me half an hour or more to get my bricks lit and at the right temp..

propane is also "easier" in that I can dial in my temp.. and be where I want to.. whether its 350.. or 450... in a matter of seconds.... if I need more heat.. I just turn a knob... if I need less heat... I just turn a knob.. etc..

when its time to stop grilling.. I simply turn off the heat.. and 30 minutes later the grill is cool enough to clean up a little bit and throw the cover back on... with charcoal Ive got to wait until the fire dies out (could be half an hour.. or a couple of hours depending on how hot I was cooking, and what I was cooking with).. before I can "tear down"....

but... propane just doesnt give you the same flavor IMO.. and its a lot harder to cook low/slow with IMO (I cant get my grill below about 275 with propane no matter what I do... but I can smoke at 195 - 225 all day long with mesquite and charcoal..)...

For burgers, brats, dogs, etc.. propane is hard to beat (IMO)..

but if youre venturing into anything nicer than that... charcoal and/or wood is the only way to fly (IMO)....
Lol what is this temperature you speak of

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Lol No I didn't think cook time but on a week night type of mission ill start my fire and then prep food. the food and fire are ready to go at the same time. More heat crank the tray up less crank it down lol. I guess I'm never worried about precise temps unless I'm slow cookin somethin