What's new

Main Factor You Consider When Purchasing A Cigar?

What is the main factor you consider when purchasing a cigar you have not tried?

• Country of Origin

Votes: 19 11.8%
  • Wrapper Color

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Size and Shape

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Overall Appearance

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Price

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Trusted Brand/Brand Reputation

Votes: 41 25.5%
  • Hype and Advertising

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Limited Release

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • B&M Recommendation

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Friends Recommendation

Votes: 18 11.2%
  • BOTL Recommendation and Reviews

Votes: 45 28.0%
  • Other - See my post

Votes: 9 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
As a newbie, I go to the "Today's Smoke" thread everyday and not only do I get good leads, but I know who smokes what I tend to like. i.e. If I know BOTL "X" has been raving about a certain brand or specific cigar, that may move me to explore a certain line or brand. Plus the people who post tend to take their sticks seriously and nobody wants to put out big money for hype or crap.

Like SC said, hype does not necessarily = a good smoke, unless it's a Tatuaje! :blush:

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
i rarely have a reason, I just buy when I get all shaky and sweaty and need to satisfy my addiction.

Oh, but sometimes its on a BOTL recommendation :)

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I chose trusted brand/reputation because that's step one. I'll wait to hear about the cigar from botl reviews, if possible. The problem with that is some great cigars sell out almost immediately and if you wait, you're SOL (Skull & Bones :)).

awhitaker

HoosierOTL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can honestly say that since I joined this site a couple months ago, that I have discovered some great smokes from all the talk on here. I've been smoking for ten years and have gotten bad advice from other sites. I had two bundles of Rolys that were terrible. My giro cigar before I came here was an Edge Maduro, which I still enjoy. Since joining here, I've tried for the first time: Tats, DPG and Padilla. I love the Tats, Padilla 32s & Miami, and have had some good DPGs. I've also tried for the first time and loved the few PAMs, Opus Xs & VSGs I've had since joining. You guys have very good taste and I thank you. Next on my list to try for the first time is Viaje and Liga Privada.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Visiting Botl not only encouraged me to experience tat reservas, limited releases, and pc cc's, but also pointed me towards decent, affordable bundled smokes like oliva, lho, & flor de ybor sun grown. Thanks guys!

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Definitely the producer. I'm going to try a new cigar from Fuente, Pepin, Pete, Dion, Litto, Padron etc. based on the strength of their previous work, regardless of other factors usually. Obviously the isn't the only reason I try smokes, but I am certainly likely to grab a new release from them based solely on their reputation.

Chubno

Old Fart
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a little hard to answer because it can change with different factors. I always hope I have a little back ground knowledge about the cigar but I have made choices without it.

MattBell

Will work for Dirty Rats
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Mostly I go on what a botl says about it. If it gets mixed reviews, I might pick up a sampler, but on the other hand, if everyone is raving about it and pretty much all positive feedback, I'll go ahead and grab a box if I can.

FireDoc83

Cigar Assassin
Rating - 98.5%
108   1   0
Come on :thinkidea, if your a faithful smoker of a certain brand, you know you will hear about the newest sticks coming out. And of course you will try one... Other than that I do look for recommendations from friends and fellow BOTL members for other sticks out there whether I have heard of them or not...

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Brand... if I have a stick from a brand and it is good, I'm more likely to expand the vitolas that I'll have. If I have a stick and its not to my tastes, I'll put it towards the bottom of the "to try" list.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Typically, I'll walk into the B&M and ask the tobacconist if he (or rarely, she) has anything "new and exciting" and generally, even if it's a new rocky blend or somesuch, I'll try at least one.