What's new

Main Factor You Consider When Purchasing A Cigar?

What is the main factor you consider when purchasing a cigar you have not tried?

• Country of Origin

Votes: 19 11.8%
  • Wrapper Color

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Size and Shape

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Overall Appearance

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Price

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Trusted Brand/Brand Reputation

Votes: 41 25.5%
  • Hype and Advertising

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Limited Release

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • B&M Recommendation

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Friends Recommendation

Votes: 18 11.2%
  • BOTL Recommendation and Reviews

Votes: 45 28.0%
  • Other - See my post

Votes: 9 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I like reading exactly why a BOTL did OR didn't like a cigar.

For example, many reviews may say it's a great, light bodied cigar and I'd stay away from it since I prefer medium-full cigars.

Sometimes I'll see a response to a review of a cigar I like, and someone will say "that cigar reminds me of "cigar A" Bingo! I'll grab a 5'er of cigar A since I'm pretty sure I'll like it or at least want to try it.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I totally rely on BOTL(from many forums, sites & blogs) for information. I typically have a few people I can rely on with similar tastes that dont steer me wrong.:smokingco

cholmes8310

LFD/JDN whore
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I listen to BOTL recommendations, but for me it's mainly about the trusted brand. I've tried a lot of brands, and I know who makes cigars I like. I started with Romeo y Julieta and Montecristo, and now I'm mainly stocked with LFD, AJ Fernandez blends, and Joya de Nicaragua. Everything I've smoked from these brands has been excellent. I'm enjoying Tatuaje now too, thanks to JMatkins. He hooked me up with a Tat porkchop and I was blown away. Great cigar. Next to try by Tat is the Tatuaje Havana VI

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I'm only the second to pick size and shape? Now I don't run around sampling only sub 50 ring cigars but if a new line comes out I tend to try them if they have a corona, PC, or lancero. Maybe sometimes after much ravings I'll try a bigger cigar I wish 50+ wasn't the standard.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I wouldn't consider any single one of the choices a main factor. Either reword the poll or offer multiple choices. :dunno:
Hey - Make you own damn poll!

You act like it is your message board or something

Oh crap, it is your board - Nevermind LOL

:stretchgr:stretchgr:stretchgr:stretchgr

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I use BOTL as a trusted tool for helping me decide on which cigars to try. Other than the recommendations you can't beat the friedships you make too!

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Tough to make a single choice here. As above, many factors come into play. However, at a good B&M I can be influenced more by a suggestion from a trusted tobacconist than any other single factor.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Brand & Taste. They can highly advertise any brand any size, If you don't like'em your not going to buy them. Except when it comes too something new not tried before then advertising has to sell the stick in that case I'll try it.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I'm only the second to pick size and shape? Now I don't run around sampling only sub 50 ring cigars but if a new line comes out I tend to try them if they have a corona, PC, or lancero. Maybe sometimes after much ravings I'll try a bigger cigar I wish 50+ wasn't the standard.
Yeah, this is why I wanted a multiple choice poll. RIng gague is big one for me. 46 or less if I'm going to pay for it. I'll smoke larger, but I won't buy them.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
remember to keep a known standard when asking a friend's opinion.

If they smoke JdNA's for breakfast (Larry), when they say "medium", it's THEIR interpretation...:widemouth

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I chose "BOTL recommendation" because I consider the recommendations and reviews here (along with my "BOTL" podcasters) as a great source for good new cigars. Almost anything new I try has been recommended by someone I trust. Only a few times have I purchased something recommended by the retailer - mostly okay choices.