What's new

Making the next step, building a new coolidor

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
As all newbies, I didn't listen either! I started with a 25 quart cooler, then made the 50 quart, now I am building the 150 quart. The good thing is I have learned so much and have confidence in carrying out the process. I also am building it to stand on end, so I will construct legs/feet to help stability. I will post pictures as I progress, so far I have cut closet shelves to length. Tomorrow I will cut them down to fit completely, I purchased 16 inch deep, so I expect to shape them as the side are not square, the bottom, or back is narrower than the front, and sixteen inches may require shaping the front so as to close the top/door. Also I will post photos as I progress.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
20180320_125434.jpg Well I have removed the handle from one end to prepare for feet/legs, or stand, still not sure how this part is going to finish, but I have the shelves cut. I have three shelves, but I have more material for another. I also ordered a fan and timer to move air inside, I am thinking once a day for 15 minutes, I am going to start with that and observe RH. In case you are wondering the shelves are 16 inches deep and extend into the door, so I had to make a little narrower, at the front to close the door.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Been considering this move myself also. Tired of the tetris game every time I go in the tupperdor to refill the on-deck traveldor. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Never put a fan in the tupperdor and it has always done fine on RH as far as I can tell. Is there really enough concern over air movement in these things to warrant a fan? I'd always assumed opening it up a few times a month would be plenty.

Are those shelves gonna hang onto anything besides the two tabs at the bottom (or back)? Just wondering how it will all hold with boxes stacked in there.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Been considering this move myself also. Tired of the tetris game every time I go in the tupperdor to refill the on-deck traveldor. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Never put a fan in the tupperdor and it has always done fine on RH as far as I can tell. Is there really enough concern over air movement in these things to warrant a fan? I'd always assumed opening it up a few times a month would be plenty.

Are those shelves gonna hang onto anything besides the two tabs at the bottom (or back)? Just wondering how it will all hold with boxes stacked in there.
I am going to experiment with the fan, going to start with 15 mins once a day, and just observe, it was inexpensive for fan and timer <$20.00.
Also going to insert supports for the front of the shelves, probably along the sides, so not as to block anything.
Again will post pics on progress.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
FYI, My mother in law passed away last night so things are on hold for a few days. As I progress I will post pics. and keep you posted on progress.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
20180331_144810.jpg 20180331_144801.jpg After much thinking and considering, I decided to use Velcro to support the font of the shelves. I had found a 5' x 2" Industrial Strength Velcro for use on the boat and motorcycle, I had a piece left and decide to try it in the cooler. If it has any negative affects on storage, causing issues with humidity (mold), I will try something more permanent. Like cedar or plastic tubing or some other material.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
FYI, My mother in law passed away last night so things are on hold for a few days. As I progress I will post pics. and keep you posted on progress.
Sorry to hear this brother, you and your wife will be in my prayers. My condolences to her family as well.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
View attachment 111250 View attachment 111251 After much thinking and considering, I decided to use Velcro to support the font of the shelves. I had found a 5' x 2" Industrial Strength Velcro for use on the boat and motorcycle, I had a piece left and decide to try it in the cooler. If it has any negative affects on storage, causing issues with humidity (mold), I will try something more permanent. Like cedar or plastic tubing or some other material.
You can also use industrial PL adhesive (this stuff is the shit, you can literally mount anything permanently with it; if you do use it I would just put some file/sandpaper scratches into the plastic and metal ends of the shelves that you are adhering together to give it something to grab onto). You may not even need to do this cause the shelves are so light, but I would do it anyway. You can also use silicone to mount the shelves permanently if you know you have them in the correct place and aren't going to move them. No issues with odors, mold, RH, etc. if you go that route. The Velcro looks like its legit though, you shouldn't have any issues with it as long as it holds strong enough, which it should.

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Looking good! Can’t wait to see how this turns out. I’m trying to decide between doing something like this, or just more tuppers. Why did you choose the cooler route?

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have the base figured out. I wanted the cooler to stand on end and be level. I found some cypress 1" X 3" boards, left over from another project. did a quick experiment and it works perfect. Tomorrow I will put it together and photograph the results. Then I will start humidification and when that is set I will transfer sticks over to the new cooleridor. I plan to post photo's as progress continues. I expect humidity will change more than my earlier cooler, because I am setting this to stand on end, so the shelving works better. My only complaint is, as I added more sticks, more confusion ensued, I would have to empty the cooler to find a particular stick and the reload the cooler. So I am hoping with shelves I will develop a system to locate sticks and have sticks I want to have more time before smoking.

Last edited:

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
added four knee highs with kitty litter, I over did it a little bit, it is running at 85% humidity, but I have not added any cigars to the cooler yet. I leave it open for an hour or so and close it and check. I'll get it there shortly, I have a fan to add to it, next. I plan to continue to post pics as I go. I saw an old post for a 150 quart cooler with cedar liner and humidification for $600.00, I am not sure what the liner is for, boxes will add the fragrance and absorb humidity.