What's new

Martini's

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
ok, I'm not well versed on mixed drinks. normally just liquor and maybe ice for me, but what the hell does brandy have to do with an old fashioned?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
When you go anywhere in the world (other than Wisconsin) and order an old fashioned, they will either A) begin making it with their bourbon of choice -or- B) ask you what kind of bourbon you prefer.

You are both incorrect.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Back to the topic:

Martini (not a dirty martini) is preferred with a lemon twist.Depending on the gin/vodka. Any more than a twist, and it's a screwdriver.
I go olive, unless the gin is really citrusy to start (eg New Amsterdam). If it is vodka martini, I pour that in the drain.

Hendrix is my go to gin, but also like Old Raj, Blue Coat, and wouldn't say no to the waiter if it was Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray, or Plymouth.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Back to the topic:

I go olive, unless the gin is really citrusy to start (eg New Amsterdam). If it is vodka martini, I pour that in the drain.

Hendrix is my go to gin, but also like Old Raj, Blue Coat, and wouldn't say no to the waiter if it was Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray, or Plymouth.

Agree on the Hendrix. Best gin in the world. Makes the best gin and tonic with a couple thin sliced cucumbers added.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
This does nothing but prove my point that Wisconsin is the driver of the Brandy Old Fashioned. Outside of Wisconsin, an Old Fashion is made with Bourbon. Thanks for the article though - if anyone from Wisconsin comes to my house and asks for one, I’ll know how to make it for them.

Theres a picture somewhere of @bwhite220 drinking a blue moon with two orange slices
Hahaha!! I’m not a beer guy but I appreciate the humor.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
They are so easy to make, gin and vermouth. I like to wet a chilled glass with good sweet vermouth and then toss the extra. Gently chill a bit of good gin with ice and strain into the glass. Skewered Cocktail olives are a good addition. If you want to try a bar maybe next time we go to the bar on the coast where we had the cigar tasting. I should have cheap gin and cheap vermouth if you want to try one next time we herf

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Oh and being raised in a family of drunk uncles that loved Old Fashioneds Just the standard with simple syrup. Quick easy and you can use cheap bourbon but you need Angostura bitters

Place simple syrup, bitters and whiskey in an old fashioned or rock glass, stir well then add 1 to 2 large ice cubes. Stir 2 to 3 times to chill then garnish with wedge of orange and a cherry

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
This does nothing but prove my point that Wisconsin is the driver of the Brandy Old Fashioned. Outside of Wisconsin, an Old Fashion is made with Bourbon. Thanks for the article though
But I live in WI so that's what an old fashioned is. So we're both kinda right. Also, try it with brandy next time. It's "tittys" as you say.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
But I live in WI so that's what an old fashioned is. So we're both kinda right. Also, try it with brandy next time. It's "tittys" as you say.
My boss is from WI and he made me one once. It is too sweet for me so I stick with bourbon old fashions.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
When you go anywhere in the world (other than Wisconsin) and order an old fashioned, they will either A) begin making it with their bourbon of choice -or- B) ask you what kind of bourbon you prefer.

You are both incorrect.
they will ask if you want Brandy - fun fact, Wisconsin accounts for 90% of the worlds brandy consumption. Korbel sends 1/3 of their entire prodcution to the State of WI

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Had a brandy old fashioned up in Milwaukee once, and got sick as a dog (migraine, nausea). But my then girlfriend, who was from Milwaukee, got sick too, so I am guessing that one of the ingredients was bad. So no titties for me that night. @BenS . :ROFLMAO:

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Sweet baby jebus... people are still debating Old Fashioneds in a martini thread?

"There are rules. This isn't 'Nam"
- the Dude.

Anyhoo...

Thanks to this thread, I drank martinis last night made with this gin that an old brother from Kansas City, MO hit me with. I forgot how anise-forward this was...