What's new

May have messed up the Boveda seasoning.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
So it was day 12 on Monday and I removed the 3 84% Bovedas 2 days early and dropped 2 65% in there in order to get the RH closer to where I wanted it for the sticks. It was at a whopping 75-76% before I took those 84s out. I came in today and see that the Humi was at 62-63 not in the "Ideal" area of the Hygrometer. Ideal begins at 65%.

What should I do now? I want to put my sticks in there but i think 61-63RH is probably too low and probably means it is not seasoned? I would be surprised considering the RH climbed all the way up close to 77-78 the day I took the 84s out.

What should I do?

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
The fact it dropped that fast might mean it isn't completely seasoned, bit it could also mean you opened it up and let all the humidity out. It is harder to maintain humidity when it is empty, but if you can get it to stay stable at the RH you want, then you should be fine. Monitor it for another day or two if you are concerned and see if the humidity continues to drop or if you know you want higher RH, put the 84s back in and put the 65s in the bag or Tupperware with you cigars to keep them humidified while you wait.

Just my two cents, others might have different ideas

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
60-63 is perfect...

Now when you say ideal... Is this a analog hygrometer? Those are the only I know of with a ideal area.

If so throw it out and get a digital... Analog are p.o.s. And inaccurate!

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
If your hygro is calibrated, I would just put your cigars in and leave it untouched for a few days. Also I have found I need 3 boveda packs in my 50 count desk top.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Mojo's advice is pretty solid.
And I agree with a few other brothers. My humi stays right about 64 RH but I would not be concerned at 62-63. I think if you get to far below 60 your gonna want to take some action. Your sticks will be fine at 62-63. And like some of the other brothers said your humi does not like to be empty so put your sticks in and you should see your RH climb a little. But don't let that analog hygrometer get the better of you. You could chase that thing up and down trying to get it where you want it. If you don't have a digital hygrometer than you need to get one. Make sure your hygrometer is calibrated properly (salt test).
Let us know how you make out.

Heath

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Well I rubbed it down with distilled water again last night and left the 2 65% Bovedas in there. RH climbed very quickly to 85-87% within minutes. I checked it this morning and it is at about 63% on the analog. I will be purchasing a digital once I get some spare funds together. I put my sticks in this morning as a test run. About 12 sticks in there with the packs. Humidity dropped when I opened it to about 60. I will check it when I get home tonight. It will ba a solid 12 hours or so that the sticks were in. If I see humidity holding between 61-65. Ill just leave it as is and monitor it daily. I hope it is good to go and that my only future problem is keeping it stocked haha.

Thank you brothers!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
1. Analog hygrometers are junk. Few if any are accurate. At this point you are guessing. Get a calibrated digital.
2. Sounds like a small humi. Every time you open the lid the moisture goes. Sort of like trying to see if a refrigerator light goes out when you close the door by opening it every few minutes. Trust the Boveda pak. YOu are good.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I will be purchasing a digital once I get some spare funds together. !
be sure to get a self calibrating one - that you can reset once you do the saline test (I know Xikar and a few others make them). If you can find them the Boveda one-step calibrating bags are great too rather than the saline test.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
CWS- yes it is a small 50 count Humi that I won on CB. It is my first and has a glass top and called a Whitetail Humi if I am not mistaken.

Should I just check amazon for the self calibrating digital hygrometers for best pricing?

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate all of your help and truly enjoy being a BOTL.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common mistake when seasoning with Boveda is to even bother with a hygro. You don't need to worry what the air humidity is, the purpose is to get the wood to absorb moisture at a slow rate so it doesn't warp. 14 days with Boveda 84% and don't stop early. You're close enough now, but remember you need to buy Boveda at least 3 points higher than you actually want inside you humidor because humidors leak - especially glass tops. So if you want 65%, buy 69% Boveda.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Common mistake when seasoning with Boveda is to even bother with a hygro. You don't need to worry what the air humidity is, the purpose is to get the wood to absorb moisture at a slow rate so it doesn't warp. 14 days with Boveda 84% and don't stop early. You're close enough now, but remember you need to buy Boveda at least 3 points higher than you actually want inside you humidor because humidors leak - especially glass tops. So if you want 65%, buy 69% Boveda.
Well I ordered a digital Hygro and I will probably need the 69% Bovedas as you stated. My humi is seasoned but the analog is now reading 59-60 while yesterday and day before it read a steady 62.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
So I went into Doc James today and was recommended to use Boveda 72% bags here in the northeast especially in the winter.

Does that sound about right or is the 65s still majority?