What's new

McDonalds Cashier Gives Beatdown

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/15/justice/new-york-fast-food-beating/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Short story long, cashier questions the authenticity of a $50 bill given to him by two customers. They get agitated, slap him across the face, jump the counter and attempt to fight him. He runs in the back, gets some kind of 'metal object' and proceeds to beat them about the head with it, resulting in severe injuries (fractured skull, broken arm)....

Read the article, obviously, for the details - but what say ye?? Is this an acceptable level of self defense??

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
He took it too far, beyond "reasonable self-defense," but that's very easy to do. Our species had to kill to survive for many thousands of years, so when that blood rage is called forth, it's hard to reign yourself in.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
This would be excessive force. If he stopped once the threat was neutralized, he would have been clear (IMHO). It was 12:30 AM, you don't know if they said their gang-banger friends were coming to mess him up, etc. There's always more to the story, but regardless, beating someone while they're down is unacceptable. Unless they hurt my wife or daughter...

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Acceptable. I have had this conversation, with my staff, on what to do if a suspected counterfeit passer gets irate. We have the advantage of large knives close by our cashiers. My suggestion / recommendation, do whatever it takes to defend yourself. Better you go overboard than the guy gets back up.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
McIntosh faces felony assault charges, along with criminal possession of a weapon. Dabeau and Edwards were charged with menacing, trespass and disorderly conduct. And then there's this: McIntosh just finished serving over a decade in prison after shooting and killing a classmate at Bronx's Evander Childs High School in 2000, when he was only 19. He was paroled in March, and had been working at McDonald's since, commuting to his job from the Bronx... Is it the weekend yet?

http://gothamist.com/2011/10/14/video_mcdonalds_cashier_beats_custo.php

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Yea ... if they got up again, I'd hit 'em again too. But I'd go for the knee as opposed to the head. People underestimate a good smash to the kneecap.

But if he's on parole for shooting somebody ... well, he's going back to jail I'll bet.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
This is only a story cause it was two women who assulted him (yes a slap is an assault). Once they slapped him it became a street fight, and we all know they're are no rules in a street fight. was it too far? why didn't the women just stay down? I can't fault the guy for refusing to be a victim

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hard to tell without the full story but if someone attacked me without any rhyme or reason, I'd beat them down pretty hard too.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Hard to tell without the full story but if someone attacked me without any rhyme or reason, I'd beat them down pretty hard too.
With our weak judicial system people (Criminals) don't care about how they can hurt you or even claim your life.
Totally have to agree with the above.

thebayratt

Satori's Dad "NTA_Shawn"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Exactly! You come at me to hurt me, you better think twice, because I would defend myself.

Acceptable. I have had this conversation, with my staff, on what to do if a suspected counterfeit passer gets irate. We have the advantage of large knives close by our cashiers. My suggestion / recommendation, do whatever it takes to defend yourself. Better you go overboard than the guy gets back up.
My thoughts as well.

This could have ended up one of those "flash mobs" where they had a group of people come in and ransack the place, who knows.

But I think I would have done the same; drop them to the ground then tell them to stay there & wait for the cops, they tried to get up, he didn't know if they were trying to get up to get a gun/knive. So he nuetralized the situation and cleared thier mind for a few days.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I think I'd have to agree with Jim here. It doesn't matter if it was two females that jumped the counter and assaulted the cashier, the point is he was assaulted, they pursued him BEHIND the counter and he defended himself. We have no way of knowing what was going through his mind. From his point of view you have to think why else would two assailants jump/go behind the counter other than to cause more trouble? What if they might of been armed? Granted hitting someone while they're down can be looked at as excessive (and it looks worse if they're female), but perhaps not if you've told them to do and they proceed to disobey you. What if they were to get up and pull a weapon? It could be the end for you and others in the establishment. Had he been shot or stabbed in this same scenario, the cashier would likely have been hailed as a hero for doing what he did.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
What is wrong with the society... if the $50 was indeed fake and all this started because the cashier wouldn't take it then those 2 women got away easy. Pull that crap in Hawaii and those 2 would be in intensive care and the cashier would get a promotion.

Sin

Living the Dream
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was faced with a similar situation at the cigar shop I worked with. Luckily we have off duty officers that frequent so they didn't let it escalate to this but in all honesty, I would've defended my self as well.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I think both parties were wrong. They should have never crossed the counter and the guy went overboard. Although, I agree with the better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 ideology.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Once they jumped the counter the guy had a right to fear for his life. I would keep hitting until they stopped moving.