What's new

Meerschaum March Madness

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
third or fourth smoke through the SMS, this time with some petey 3p to pregame st. patty's:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426260253.918030.jpg

kinda looks like ass right now. after the first smoke, did a rough apply of some beeswax. letting some settle in through the heat of smoking, and planning on hitting her up with a heat source this weekend to even it out. still, this pipe is a MACHINE, and hasn't failed me in the slightest so far. santa, you rock, sir. o)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
third or fourth smoke through the SMS, this time with some petey 3p to pregame st. patty's:

View attachment 60293

kinda looks like ass right now. after the first smoke, did a rough apply of some beeswax. letting some settle in through the heat of smoking, and planning on hitting her up with a heat source this weekend to even it out. still, this pipe is a MACHINE, and hasn't failed me in the slightest so far. santa, you rock, sir. o)
I did the same with my pipe early on. It immediately colored, just like yours, however just the act of smoking it the coloring of the wax has faded to unnoticeable.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
yeah, but it adds a base layer, AND it adds protection to the finish. so, worth it.

FWIW if you DON'T want to do the full wax bath method, i take a 1/2' square of old Tshirt, melt a bunch of beeswax, and use that as my after-smoke treatment. seems to work well, especially if you only wax half the cloth, then leave the other half relatively clean for polishing and wiping clean...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, but it adds a base layer, AND it adds protection to the finish. so, worth it.

FWIW if you DON'T want to do the full wax bath method, i take a 1/2' square of old Tshirt, melt a bunch of beeswax, and use that as my after-smoke treatment. seems to work well, especially if you only wax half the cloth, then leave the other half relatively clean for polishing and wiping clean...
Your method is identical to what I did, however I have not repeated the process since the initial waxing. I have no regrets doing it the first time and I'm sure I will do it again sometime down the road.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
so, had a free minute while sucking down coffee this morning. round or three of wax with a hair dryer on my SMS, now burning some savinelli brunello flake:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426353715.567615.jpg

and, a closer up of the pipe, cold, at my desk at work:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426353752.919376.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426353761.409198.jpg

it is amazing how a meer can absorb wax!!! little dude feels a little more protected, and also looks more antiqued at this point. needs more smoking, and just some loving vigilance.

as for the brunello flake, tastes VaBur, clean and tasty. it was fold and stuff this time, FWIW. very tasty and pleasant tobacco, little bite and solid burn, good flavor, should try if you like that genre, but not a must have IMO.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an ex-pat Canadian, I still get the giggles when I see Labatt's Blue with the word "Imported" on it.
Even funnier since I can look across the river and see where it was imported from. I can cross the border into Canada quicker than my commute home from work....unless the customs guys are being aholes.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok so I am little lost? I am not saying anyway is wrong or right.... but from what I know with smoking the last 25 year's is that the best way to color your Meerschaum is natural? Why are there so many people that try and hurry the process? Maybe it's just me but I like the way it colors natural and think it even looks better. I have seen the makers have special waxes to aid with colors but for me again just don't look natural. My Meerschaum pipes besides 1 are slowly coloring natural, slowly but I like the way they color. Am I a lost art enjoyment of smoker? Anyone else prefer to color natural?

PS. To me It's like fake and bake tans

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even funnier since I can look across the river and see where it was imported from. I can cross the border into Canada quicker than my commute home from work....unless the customs guys are being aholes.
That must have some advantages I would think?

As an ex-pat Canadian, I still get the giggles when I see Labatt's Blue with the word "Imported" on it.
I just cringe lol :). Just joking - just Joking.

But did you guys see in the Economist today that Budweiser by volume (or was it sales?) is the most consumed beer in Canada?! WTH??

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2015/03/countries-favourite-beers?fsrc=scn/fb/te/bl/ed/thelagerpicture

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Ok so I am little lost? I am not saying anyway is wrong or right.... but from what I know with smoking the last 25 year's is that the best way to color your Meerschaum is natural? Why are there so many people that try and hurry the process? Maybe it's just me but I like the way it colors natural and think it even looks better. I have seen the makers have special waxes to aid with colors but for me again just don't look natural. My Meerschaum pipes besides 1 are slowly coloring natural, slowly but I like the way they color. Am I a lost art enjoyment of smoker? Anyone else prefer to color natural?

PS. To me It's like fake and bake tans
I prefer it going natural as well.
To each their own, right?!