What's new

Mid size SUVs

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
So I am in the market for a mid size SUV. My wife has been driving a 2005 ford escape but now I am getting to the point of not trusting it for her driving around the kids. I will be buying used with probably 30-40 k miles already on it.

Been looking at the honda crv and the Toyota rav4 but not ruling out other options. Anybody have a mid size they like or dislike for any reasons?

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Considered the CR-V before buying my Pilot (which I too bought used w/ 36k miles on it). Drove a few CR-Vs, nice and roomy, comfortable to drive, decent enough MPG for a vehicle of that size. The rest of my family are all Toyota people, and tried to get me to look at the Rav4/4Runner instead (I DID actually LOVE the 4Runner, but they're nearly impossible to find used because people literally run them into the ground rather than get rid of them). I think both are super-solid choices, but from personal experience, I have been extremely happy w/ my Honda for the past two years.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
I'm a VW guy and had a Tiguan in the past. Loved it but it was too small so I'm back in a Touareg now. Don't remember who it was but a few months back a brother posted about his accident in the Tiguan and how safe it kept him. For me German fit/finish and performance can't be matched in the Asian market.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
We have 2 Rav4s. My daughter's is a '06 with 100,000+ miles. My wife's is an '08 with 190,000+ miles. Regular routine maintenance only. No major problems what so ever. I'm hoping the '08 goes 300,000 plus. Both are 4 cylinders. They average 26-27 mpg highway, and around 22-23 around town.

There have been a few recalls on these (floor mats, wheel alignment bolts and airbag sensors), so if you decide on one, make sure the recall items have been addressed.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Stay away from Land Rover. Had 2 different Freelanders back in the day and both had a ridiculous amount of issues including an entire powertrain failure. Nothing like my old D90. The Acura RDX seems like a nice little ride, and it's turbo charged... Ha ha

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My parents have the Toureg, and I like it but it's a little more than I want to spend. Thanks for the opinions fellas.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have had my SUV for 15 years and any mechanic is going to tell you it's how you do your maintenance that makes the difference...oil changes oil changes and oil changes. Use synthetic blends as clearances between metal engine parts can be as little is .0010. These days oils are made better but change it before 7500 miles even if it says you can go longer. Better to change your oil than your engine. I tend to stay with Automakers that have great warrantys for worry free driving.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Coming from an s10 blazer to a trailblazer now, my next one will be a 4 runner, amazing comfort and reliability. Parts are readily available, and a lot easier to find than trailblazer parts. I am almost clocking 200k on the tb now, and honestly it runs like a champ, but the ride is a bit rough after a few hundred miles. I want comfort in the next one!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Stay away from Land Rover. Had 2 different Freelanders back in the day and both had a ridiculous amount of issues including an entire powertrain failure. Nothing like my old D90. The Acura RDX seems like a nice little ride, and it's turbo charged... Ha ha
My ex-wife and I had the Freelander sport edition and I loved it...

Until I called the dealer for the first oil change. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hi, it's time for my 3000 mile oil change.
LR: This is your first Landrover, isn't it sir?
Me: How did you know?
LR: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you only need to change your oil every 12,000 miles. The bad news is that it takes synthetic oil. And a lot of it.
Me: Okay, thanks.

(fast forward another 9000 miles)

I take it to a Jiffy Lube (or some similar place)

Me: I need the oil changed
JL: Sorry, we don't service Landrovers as they need some proprietary wrench (or other doodad)
Me: Okay, thanks.

Me: Hi Landrover, I need my oil changed
LR: Okay, it will be $350.

SERIOUSLY!!! A $350 oil change annually?

Oh, and then there was the $950 brake and rotor replacement every 21,000 miles - BY FREAKING DESIGN!!

So, when the ex and I went our ways, she "demanded" that she get to keep the Landrover and I take the Mercury Sable. That was an easy thing to agree to!

Also, I am quite tall and, in all Landrovers, I sit fairly far back. If I was the first at the line at a light, I had to duck down and then crank my head up in order to see the traffic light. Yeah, the Freelander was fun to drive but the maintenance was ridiculouso

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Do you guys the audi Q5 on that side of the pond ? I was very tempted for my company car but went for a 3 series xdrive instead (first oil change at 20k..)
I also work with a guy thst has a volvo xc60 and the family love it to bits

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Just looking around the market for something similar myself. Currently Subaru's offerings are most appealing to me.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Yes we have the Q5. We've owned 6 Different Subaru's and the wife will always have one. Living in CO and driving to the mountains 3/4 days a week it makes the perfect car. Never had a major problem with any of them. I wanted something with more ground clearance or I'd still have one.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Wife had an 07 Honda CRV and she loved it, we started having problems with the suspension cause she got hit in it. Nothing serious but the car was never the same after and couldn't get the alignment right. Figured it was time for a new car so we got the Kia Sorento, she likes it but it doesn't get nearly the mpgs it's supposed to and we are regretting the purchase. If we were to do it again we probably would've got the new CRV instead, she was happy with it.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Do you guys the audi Q5 on that side of the pond ? I was very tempted for my company car but went for a 3 series xdrive instead (first oil change at 20k..)
I also work with a guy thst has a volvo xc60 and the family love it to bits
We got the x3, I think I was at 17k miles and I'm like wtf, still don't need an oil change? Love the xc60, my buddy has it. Super cushy interior, quiet and comfy. But it doesn't come close to the x3's handling. (Love the 3 series too btw, great choice)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
My wife drives a Volvo XC60 T6... awesome car... after her BMW X5 got totaled.. she went with the Volvo.. 20 minutes after buying it, she had buyers remorse.. thinking she really should have gone with another X5... 1 week after buying it, she decided its the best car she has ever owned in her life.. and has never looked back..

It is a GREAT car.. fast, great handling, super comfortable, very reliable, has a great tech package, etc..etc.. She's had it about 4 years at this point.. and still loves it as much as she did after that first week.. she's planning on holding onto it for several more years..

If you can find one in good condition, for a good price used.. its hard to beat.. its also a VERY safe car.. built like a tank.. (something to think about with kids...)..

My son drives an older model CR-V.. and he absolutely loves his car as well.. gets good mileage, has been very reliable, is easy to get around in, comfortable, etc.. small enough to make it easy to drive/park, etc.. but roomy enough he can pack him, his girlfriend, and a couple of other teens in there with all of their teen "stuff" and no one is cramped.. its been a great first car for him...

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I sold jeep for 5 years if you can find a new style Cherokee pre owned with a lil mileage there really nice vehicles. They were built remarkably well this time around the 4 w d w 4 cly will get 30 mpg

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
A colleague of mine just bought a Rogue. Looks larger than the previous generation. Price was $24K with everything but leather.
I have nothing bad to say about Nissans either. First was a 2000 Xterra that I put 200K on before donating it, and my current 2009 Xterra that has 140K on it with just a clutch replacement.
The X3 is also nice and drives like a 3 Series sedan. Just a matter of what fits your budget.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I'm on my second Honda Pilot (I lease because I barely drive and like new stuff all the time). It's an amazing and affordable vehicle.