What's new

Misinformation from TSA and AARP

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We can bitch all we want as long as we remember why TSA is such a pain in the ass. I consider these inconveniences as doing my part to make sure I get where I'm going.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I slightly understand the hesitation but being upfront and honest about what you have should lead to no issue. I can only see the absolute worse case that you have to ask for a supervisor.

I’m not sure what cutter you have but I’ll offer up a Xikar Xi1 you can have if your cutter gets taken.

I don’t have anything to hide and have always been more than helpful with TSA and they have all returned the courtesy.

Don’t be trying to carry a torch lighter, a full water bottle and some other bs and it should be no issue.

I have always found a little over assistance with any law/security officer always goes a long way as they are used to being treated like shit. Even if your wrong being the nice guy and allowing them to feel like they are the boss makes your life easier.
I definitely don't have anything to hide, so that's not a factor. Cigar cutters are not prohibited by TSA policy, and I don't bring anything else I'm not supposed to. Yet I've had several friends lose their cutters to TSA, so I choose not to bring any XiKar or Palios in my carry-on. I do appreciate the offer, thank you so much but I'm good. :)

As far as treating TSA agents or any authority figure poorly, I was a cop for 30 years, so that's not something I would ever think to do.

Rating - 100%
82   0   0

I'm glad some of you feel safer, but I know what they have missed in my carryon bags. too many of them have no idea what the rules actually are, and god forbid you disagree with them. it always looks like a giant clusterfu$& to me, at a huge taxpayer expense of course.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I fly a pretty good amount and have never, repeat never had a cutter confiscated. To put some perspective to that, I achieve Gold level every year with Delta on flight segments. It takes 60 flight segments to qualify for gold status with Delta. I do get asked about cutters every now and then but have never had one taken. Never. (I probably just cursed myself there).

Lighters on the other hand are a different story. I try to sneak them by in a Colibri DOT approved container in my check in luggage but probably still get about 2-3 confiscated per year. For that reason I generally just use the Ronson jet lighters when I travel. They are only $5 and some change at any Walgreens so if it does get confiscated I just go to the nearest Walgreens and buy another one.

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk thingy

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I fly a pretty good amount and have never, repeat never had a cutter confiscated. To put some perspective to that, I achieve Gold level every year with Delta on flight segments. It takes 60 flight segments to qualify for gold status with Delta. I do get asked about cutters every now and then but have never had one taken. Never. (I probably just cursed myself there).

Lighters on the other hand are a different story. I try to sneak them by in a Colibri DOT approved container in my check in luggage but probably still get about 2-3 confiscated per year. For that reason I generally just use the Ronson jet lighters when I travel. They are only $5 and some change at any Walgreens so if it does get confiscated I just go to the nearest Walgreens and buy another one.

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk thingy
Agreed. I'm a diamond member of delta and have never gotten my cutter or zippo taken. Last plenty of butane torches though. That's why I switched to zippo.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I'm happy that you guys have not had any cutters confiscated, you know I'm on the side of the BOTLs.(y)

I'm just saying I personally know several who have, and I won't risk a $25+ cutter because of inconsistencies from agent to agent.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Last summer i was told by the airline guy that i could not even pack my lighter in a checked bag. First time i had heard that. Had to run it back out to the truck (luckily its a very small airport).
As a result, i just bought a new cutter and lighter to leave at my in laws house in CA. Its our first stop every time we travel so it works out.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I fly almost weekly at this point and have never had an issue carrying a Xikar Xi2 cutter and Xikar EX Lighter. The lighter is a soft-flame and occasionally they will check my bag because they see it, but after lighting it they always hand it back to me when they see it's not a torch.

If you're going to check a torch style lighter make sure it is in an approved TSA/DOT case.