What's new

Mojo

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Kinda lost track of where the main mojo discussion is, so here's a new thread.

By mojo I mean a juice of pineapple with rum and vanilla. This is oldschool Cuban stylings with a modern reminder by Willy The Cuban Roller. I have been experimenting with this specific stuff for about a month now, using a recipe based on what BH says Willy seems to do.

I've mentioned that this stuff seems to be a powerful smoothing agent. I just smoked a prime example:

Few days ago I rolled some coronas gorda, various recipes, all of them with a goodly amount of mojo sprayed on all the leaves. I figured with so much soaking I'd need to wait a month before these were dry, but that's why I always roll a ton: so when I break down after a few days I'll have something left.

So I just smoked a 50/50 SL, i.e. half and half seco and ligero, 1.5 leaves each. Fortunately it burned fine and didn't have any wet-laundry-nastiness. First half was so mild it was more like smoking pure seco. Eventually I decided to let it go out, so that when I relit it an hour hence it would have some of that "been out, now relit it" pungent stank. Well, that worked pretty well. The second relit half down to the nub was more like a mild-yet-flavorful 111, i.e. seco-viso-ligero in strength and flavor.

So I'm not sure how to continue with the experiment, because my current supply of leaf is already smooth and flavorful and doesn't really profit from a smoothening out. Surprisingly I didn't really get any special flavor off the mojo. It was just a full-on mellower. It could be that that formula just really subsumes itself into the flavors of a CT shade-rolled stick. Sweet and creamy and rich. My feeling at the moment is that I can just use water for now. But I'll reevaluate that when I smoke another one of these test sticks in a few weeks, and then 2 months, etc.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Thank you so much for posting this! I just got some pineapples and some top shelf rum, now to get some Madagascar vanilla beans to soak in the rum and get the pineapple rotting proper for a bit. Since I'm using a variety of leaf I will probably benefit from the mojo more than you

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Is there a Mojo recipe somewhere that I missed?
There isn't an "official" recipe. Willy told me he chunks up some pineapple and places it in some water and lets it sit and naturally ferment for a few days. Then he adds some liquid vanilla and some rum. I'm guessing something like 2/3 pineapple water, 1/3 rum with a splash of vanilla based on the color of the "mojo" in his spray bottle. I'm going to take it a step further and chop up some vanilla beans and soak them in the rum for a few weeks to a month before adding that tincture to the pineapple water

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the case of this video, it almost seems like it might be part of the aging process.Since the leaf would be fermented before packing in bales.It may help to neutralize any leftover nasties that didnt come out during the fermentation an equalizing PH. I will give this a try in the future with my fermented leaf and see if it shows any improvement.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the videos there is no mention of the amount of 'mojo' to be applied to the leaf. Many of the old papers suggest just a misting to both sides of the leaf. Never a soaking or drenching of the leaf. You don't want a soggy pile.

It would seem the benefit of adding pineapple is the addition of citric acid (smoothing agent). Maybe it adds some sweetness also??? One the other hand, the vanilla is a definite flavoring. Used in many pipe tobacco blends. Vanilla extract works well but experimentation with amounts is required.

From what I've read, in order to get full benefit from the addition of any flavoring there needs to be glycerin added to the mix. The flavor molecule actually attaches to the glycerin and is carried to your palate to taste. This is exactly how vaping works and is widely used in pipe tobacco and hookah blends as well. Beware... a small amount of glycerin goes a long way. It's also a humectant and will absorb moisture. Helps cigars from drying out. The sweet glycerin is very water soluble and mixes well with any mix.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've forgone the glycerin lately because while it shows up in all the old-timey documents (as well as modern vape tech) it is never mentioned by these old paisanos and vintage Cuban rollers. Easy to imagine they've been doing something with stuff that grows on the farm and not something they buy in a bottle.

OTOH it could be a differentiator in one regard: glycerin might convey the actual flavor of the additives, whereas without it you just get some sort of effect.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Surgery? Good luck, thoughts and prayers for a speedy and full recovery.
Thank you! I have to have my hiatal hernia repaired, basically pulling my stomach down and out of my esophagus and sewing it in place. Nothing super major, but will keep me from booze and smoking for a few weeks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda lost track of where the main mojo discussion is, so here's a new thread.

By mojo I mean a juice of pineapple with rum and vanilla. This is oldschool Cuban stylings with a modern reminder by Willy The Cuban Roller. I have been experimenting with this specific stuff for about a month now, using a recipe based on what BH says Willy seems to do.

I've mentioned that this stuff seems to be a powerful smoothing agent. I just smoked a prime example:

Few days ago I rolled some coronas gorda, various recipes, all of them with a goodly amount of mojo sprayed on all the leaves. I figured with so much soaking I'd need to wait a month before these were dry, but that's why I always roll a ton: so when I break down after a few days I'll have something left.

So I just smoked a 50/50 SL, i.e. half and half seco and ligero, 1.5 leaves each. Fortunately it burned fine and didn't have any wet-laundry-nastiness. First half was so mild it was more like smoking pure seco. Eventually I decided to let it go out, so that when I relit it an hour hence it would have some of that "been out, now relit it" pungent stank. Well, that worked pretty well. The second relit half down to the nub was more like a mild-yet-flavorful 111, i.e. seco-viso-ligero in strength and flavor.

So I'm not sure how to continue with the experiment, because my current supply of leaf is already smooth and flavorful and doesn't really profit from a smoothening out. Surprisingly I didn't really get any special flavor off the mojo. It was just a full-on mellower. It could be that that formula just really subsumes itself into the flavors of a CT shade-rolled stick. Sweet and creamy and rich. My feeling at the moment is that I can just use water for now. But I'll reevaluate that when I smoke another one of these test sticks in a few weeks, and then 2 months, etc.
Just a heads up... I tried the basic, simple mojo. The only change was using polyglycol instead of glycerin.
Using Jorge tobacco gave it a light mist rested for a couple of days. Great smoke! I must admit, the vanilla is a nice addition. The average person wouldn't detect the vanilla. It's very light but very nice!!

(I'm testing the difference between glycerin and polyglcol and it seems to taste better than glycerin while performing the same job)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Finally had aged my vanilla beans in rum what I think was long enough to get decent extraction. Probably let my pineapple chunks soak in water almost 2 weeks and could tell my smell and taste that it had begun to naturally ferment. Got my mojo mixed up and gently sprayed my ligero from Jorge that I have in my working stock. Holy hell does it smell amazing now!! Gonna bunch up a mold full of my marshmallow blend and excited to try the blend with mojo to compare. Didn't add any glycerin or polyglycol so not sure how detectable it will be, especially since I only plan to spritz the ligero but if any other filler needs a little extra moisture it will get mojo instead of water.