What's new

Mold or plume

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is something dripping water in your storage. Kind of strange having mold isolated in such a well defined area. post picks of the other cigars and maybe we can help isolate the problem.

Jreyesortiz

Veteran, Homebrewer, & Cigar Smoker
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was going to have a cigar today bit I found this! Is it mold or plume...... Most my cigars have it View attachment 136785
I was always told if its fuzzy it mold, if it looks crystalized it's plume. And it its at the foot dont smoke it. I just brush it off and enjoy. But most people would toss... I haven't had a problem... But I dont get moldy cigars.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0

just in case you haven't had the chance to read it.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
it is mold.
a recent study has arrived at the conclusion that all of the things we find growing on our cigars are several types of mold.
Crystalline , fluffy, bluish,white............all are mold.

you appear to have an over moist storage situation,so wipe off those cigars and lower your RH to 67 % until your stash can stabilize.

if your temp is over 74, maybe drop to 65 %..........

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This evening I opened a tupperdoor I had in storage for a couple of months and was astonished to find fluffy white powder resting on the cellophane of a couple of my NCs. After a deep breath I remembered that I had cleaned the new tupperdoor with baking soda before putting it in storage and I must have missed a bit in the corners of the lid. Humidity is fine at 65 and everything looks good so no problems.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
#ItsAlwaysMold

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk Thingy

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
You're new to the forum so I'll assume this is a real question. It is mold my friend, it's ALWAYS mold. And if I can say one more thing.... it's ALWAYS mold! You have a serious problem with over humidification. Time to start asking some questions.
I’ve been waiting to respond until I had a chance to take pictures. Plume does exist, it’s just extremely rare. It is no white, it is a crystal. You see the glint of light off of it more than anything. Plume is oils that have dried on the wrapper over a loooooong period of time. The pictures Cigar is from the 1970s. I’ve seen it on extremely oily cigars after 15 years or so, but never anything that’s not well aged and properly taken care of. I hope this helps.

Btw, even this picture doesn’t do it justice, I may try to get a video. Think of it like a tiny piece of glass that you can’t really see until the light reflects off of it. You can at times see a tiny white spec if the plume is a larger piece, but that is the exception. It never has dimension and is not puffy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
it is mold.
a recent study has arrived at the conclusion that all of the things we find growing on our cigars are several types of mold.
Crystalline , fluffy, bluish,white............all are mold.

you appear to have an over moist storage situation,so wipe off those cigars and lower your RH to 67 % until your stash can stabilize.

if your temp is over 74, maybe drop to 65 %..........
If you look at the pictures from the “study”, they were all the dimensional “fluffy” mold. Not one of them was of a crystalline structure that would “glint” in the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Had a conversation with a rep for one of the "better" lines yesterday and asked the very question. He said that Plume (the shiny, glittery sheen on a cigar) is a byproduct of a very specific type of mold . So to say all plume is from mold is correct and plume does exist. He did not agree that Plume was the result of the oils in a cigar migrating to the surface of the wrapper.

Plume is a byproduct of a very specific type of mold and he thoroughly enjoyed the several he has had the chance to smoke.

So the plot thickens.