What's new

Mold?

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Seriously, there was a recent post regarding mold with the same tobacco...can't search it right now, but take a look :)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Man. Makes me worry about tins in the cellar. Not a lot of recourse left if you let something age a couple years just to find out it was bad from the beginning. What to do...
Anyone done any Google-fu on this yet to see if it's a recurring theme?

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
So here's a close-up (as well as my phone can do) and it's definitely mold:

But, in these next two images, notice how the mold is growing on (and along) the lighter layer of tobacco. I would guess that a particular batch (or a few batches) used Virginia tobacco that was too wet.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Anyone done any Google-fu on this yet to see if it's a recurring theme?
Doing that now.

As a "silver lining", thank goodness this happened to a chunk of pipe tobacco that was sealed in its own baggy instead of a cigar inside a humidor full of other cigars!
So I found this: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/mold-jackknife-plug-smokingpipescom and it also shows mold on that middle, lighter layer.

And this: http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t24142-jackknife-plug

There are a bunch of Google results for Jackknife Plug and mold along with a lot of people saying it's a fairly moist tobacco. I think, to be safe, I'll scratch it off of my "must buy more" list.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Rob. I know nothing about pipe tobacco. But if it were me(and cigars) I would cut off only a very thin slice and smoke the rest. White mold (spores) are on most tobacco. Wether or not those spores multiply. Is all dependent on one thing. Excess humidity.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Thanks. Yeah, white mold isn't a huge concern for me as I see when cooking and, as you said, cutting it off and using the rest is typical.

My humidity is fine and seeing a number of people who have had mold on this particular blend AND at the same location AND from 2013 (although I'm not sure what year mine was from), AND having enjoyed GL Pease before, I'll probably give it a try.