Moldy HdM Epi#2's

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
1. That's definitely mold
2. IMO you should be able to wipe it off and be just fine
3. Naming CC vendors is still taboo here
4. That being said, I'm guessing that the vendor in question rhymes with a certain tasty Mexican treat.
I see what you did there

This is one vendor I have heard mixed reviews on, so I just stick with the two I have dealt with.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I understand that wiping with distilled water may help but it seems to me that while it would wipe off the visible mold there would still be mold spores present on the leaf and therefore the potential to grow back over time. I always wipe with alcohol. I have mentioned this before on this forum and it seems I am the only one doing this. I have done it several times over the years with no ill effects. It just seems to make sense to KILL the mold spores before putting the stick into your stash.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monty 4 is one of, if not the single most produced CC out of Havana. So...the quality can vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I understand that wiping with distilled water may help but it seems to me that while it would wipe off the visible mold there would still be mold spores present on the leaf and therefore the potential to grow back over time. I always wipe with alcohol. I have mentioned this before on this forum and it seems I am the only one doing this. I have done it several times over the years with no ill effects. It just seems to make sense to KILL the mold spores before putting the stick into your stash.
I did that the first time I found mold, and sprayed the inside of the box with alcohol too before letting it all dry out. Seemed to work fine. Now I just wipe, isolate and smoke. That seems to work fine too. Keeping temps down helps prevent mold.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It doesn't matter where you buy from... cardboard packs are going to have mold issues.

I snagged a few recently from an LCDH to give out as gifts at the holidays. Low and behold it looked they put on toupees for the trip stateside.

I think that wipe off and go on with life or get rid of them before they go into your humi are best practices. At inevitability going to happen to one of your sticks at some point in time regardless of the precautions that you take.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
You have mold spores on most cigars in your humidor(s)
I'd bet a paycheck on it..... it's wether or not enough humidity is present to colonize on the organic material we call tobacco leaves.
I've had cigars for five years now that I've only just brushed off with the visible mold never recolonizing at 65rh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Preventing mold is as easy as maintaining your collection properly. 60-65%RH and 65-70 degrees. Have good, well-calibrated hygrometers. monitor in particular any area that gets more airflow due to a fan -- that is where the mold and humidity can spike. Even a thermoelectric wine cooler fan can produce a humidity spike (not to mention, if you don't filer the air it is blowing onto your cigars, there's simply more spores in that area). On a Newair, for instance, this area is basically dead center of the unit. Check anything there for mold in particular. Also always check your bottom shelf, in case any extra moisture has collected there -- this particularly applies to the BOTTOM row of boxed cigars, which you can only check by removing the top row(s).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a friend of mine from the hills of NC (that's North Carolina, not Non Cuban in this case) used to say, the "onliest" time I have had mold was in cardboard. Monte 2's.
Miss you, Rat.
Trout