What's new

Montecristo Open Eagle

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Today I decided to light up my one & only pre-release Montecristo Open Eagle. I've read that this stick is the first new line in 74 years and being a 54 ring x 5-7/8" beast, I was excited and anxious to light this bad boy up.

StogieReview did a good review and CigarAficionado had an article on this as well if you'd like more info.

I went over to the B&M to meet up with Joe, Russ, Frank, Dave, Dave & Dennis for a little 'Good-Friday' mini-herf...

After a tasty deli sandwich, I lit her up... Perfect draw, firmly packed, silky wrapper & delicious pre-light draw...

It took a minute to properly light up due to the larger than I typically prefer gauge. Once it was all fired up, the first puffs were like extra creamy milk chocolate. :drool:

Normally I find the regular line to be very chocolaty with heavy coffee notes, this had the chocolate, but with cream notes. A more medium line. I started noticing some buttery tastes intermingling with the grassy-twang & began drawing cross-comparisons with other sticks, particularly the Juan Lopez and RyJ Short Churchill (mixed, of course with the reg line's coffee & chocolate).

After 2/3, it developed a richer note that was like a sip of capuchino, almost a hot cream (keep your minds out of the gutter guys!)...

While I don't particularly care for the look of the second band, I found this very enjoyable - there's nothing currently out that really compares & I look forward to the widespread release.

I nubbed this after about 1-3/4 hours of heavenly cigar bliss, good conversation and lots of laughs with good friends.

Another one for the memory book guys... :grinFU:

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
OMG!!! The review makes it sound so incredibly good!

Thanks.
And I do have to agree, what an ugly green band!!

dpmrpa

Indiscriminate Bomber
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Herfin buddy that was a very good review. I like those big size sticks so can't wait until it comes out

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Great review bro as usual LOL! It was great herfin with the crew today i'm so glad i have a lot of time on my hands now . I can start hangin out again.....:smokingbo

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
This one is not that good in my opinion. Was very mild and lacked the overall great quality. I figure the folks at HSA are getting ready just in case the embargo is lifted.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Nice review. I was curious how these would compare to the regular MCs. I prefer stronger cigars, so will stick to the regular line. Everyone talks about the MC#2s, but the #1s have really gotten good since 06.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Nice review. I was curious how these would compare to the regular MCs. I prefer stronger cigars, so will stick to the regular line. Everyone talks about the MC#2s, but the #1s have really gotten good since 06.
The #1s are my favorite monte!

As far as the Open, I'm glad to hear good reviews, because the ones I heard from people at the Festival were pretty negative.

TYLER

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
The ones I smoked at the festival tasted quite young. They have had another month and a half on them which will have helped. The other thing is at the festival people tend to smoke a lot more then normal which will dullen the taste buds for milder smokes. I always have a time and place for milder cigars even if I don't smoke many. I am interested to see how the regular production tastes when it comes out. I am told they should come out sometime during the summer. I will try one from the festival and a new one then.

I agree on the monte #1 they have always been good to me. I also love the petite edmundos.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Thanks for the comments guys. I don't think this stick is gonna be for everyone, but it was very good - no 'young' or amonia tastes at all, which I was kind of surprised with.

But being the first stick of the day, it was not bad at all - like I said, kind of a cross between a JL#2 and a Monte Edmundo, but in a great big ring gage. The second band is defiitely ugly and I'm not sure of the rational behind the 'marketing', but the stick is definitely worth a try!!