What's new

Motorcycle License

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Good luck Tom. I hope you have better conditions in NJ than here in CA. My brother and sister in-law were almost killed on their bike many years back. They were smacked from behind while exiting the highway at about 40mph. People here just don't see motorcycles and when they do they don't respect the people who ride.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Awesome to see other riders on here.

Personally, only you can find the bike that you're comfortable with and feel is the right size. I would suggest something in the 80's to 90's Universal Japanese Motorcycle, maybe in the 400 to 750cc (depends on your size and planned type of riding). There's a lot of great running, reasonable mileage bikes available that are great to learn on.

I started out with an '81 KZ440, moved to a '02 Honda Shadow (couldn't stand the cruiser laid back seating style on the highway for long periods), and just bought a used '00 ZR-7 naked "sportbike". It has a layout similar to the upright seating position of a Kawasaki Concours.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of the MSF courses. Did their BRC to get the license, then did the intermediate and advanced later on. I'm actually considering becomming an instructor now I believe in their methods so much.

My first bike was a Suzuki SV650. Great to learn on (wife had one to learn on too!)

Spend the bucks to get a good helmet and riding jacket. A full suit (Aerostitch Roadcrafter) and helmet literally saved my life 4 years ago. The $$ are well worth it when you got tossed on the freeway!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Spend the bucks to get a good helmet and riding jacket. A full suit (Aerostitch Roadcrafter) and helmet literally saved my life 4 years ago. The $$ are well worth it when you got tossed on the freeway!
I strongly agree with that comment. I've seen more people who haven't walked away relatively unscathed with only a few pieces of clothes to replace versus an outlook of surgery and hospital visits (or worse).

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I plan on getting good gear. I like my skin & head. I need to start doing some research. I don't think I'll get set up for the last 2 months of this season but will be ready for spring.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Are there any national sites for the selling of used bikes?

Craigslist
Cycletrader
ebay

Any others I should be looking at?

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Are there any national sites for the selling of used bikes?

Craigslist
Cycletrader
ebay

Any others I should be looking at?
Got mine off Craigslist for $200. Came with a brand new helmet and a manual. Josh and I came up with a great custom paint scheme that I'll reveal when it's done.

TYLER

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Is this gonna be you Tom?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQAO4BLCLQY&mode=related&search=[/YOUTUBE]

Dub

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the fun begin! A friend recently took the MSF to begin her riding career and told me she put 21 miles on her bike in that day and one half range riding. Thats a lot of riding in a very small area. Also mentioned she wanted her Iron Butt certificate for the sore bumm??????? Told her gotta do more than 21 miles. :dunno:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
The class is a blast so far and a ton of great material. Passed the written test, just need to do the skills test tomorrow.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I just got back from the DMV (less than an hour!) and have my new license with my endorsement!

Now it's time to find a bike!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
caudio51 is too modest and asked me to show you his new ride:

[youtube][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNh0ba2-X_8"]YouTube - Most stupid motorcycle crash ever[/ame][/youtube]