What's new

Moving - need tupperware recommendations

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm moving across the country and moving my cigar collection with me. I have a 28 bottle wineador. My guess is I probably have about 300 cigars in there. I'm planning to get some tupperware type containers to move the cigars in. I found this at the Container Store and am thinking of picking a few up, I haven't seen it in person but it seems like it would work: http://www.containerstore.com/s/rectangular-klip-it-food-storage/d?productId=10021671&q=Klip-it

For those of you who have moved your collections, I'm curious how you did it. And for those of you who have bought a tupperware type container for your collection, please let me know if you have any recommendations for what I should use. Thanks for your help!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just picked up one of the ziplock locking bins from Walmart for $12. Forget the size but it is maybe 18'' long by 10" high by 12" wide. Easily fit 8 boxes in it. 4 locking tabs on the lid. Nice square walls on it so easy to set up boxes/shelves for stacking and organization. Has the foam gasket around the lid so seals up well. Boveda 65 in it and it has been for steady between 64-66 for over a week. Not much plastic smell when bought but I still soaked/scrubed it before putting my sticks in there.

Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I'll agree with @atison and @Smoqman's recommendation for a larger Ziploc containers. I have 2 of those Klip it containers you posted a link for, the 7L size. You'd need quite a few of them to box up all 300 of your sticks. To get a better visual for size and capacity you can see them in action thanks to the great write up by @Mr. McSquirelly here http://www.botl.org/threads/deep-philosophical-question-humidors.82224/ (post #7)

I use my 2 7L containers with the cedar trays as my "desktops" and they're great, but may be too small for your needs

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help. I can't believe it has been a year. My collection made it without incident and has been resting comfortably in my temperature controlled basement. Having a basement is a godsend. It was so hard to control heat and humidity in the heat of CA but now with my basement I haven't had to mess with my beads in a year and the humidity has held rock solid.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I think an Igloo cooler would be a better choice. You could get just one large one, big enough to hold all of your cigars, unless you have flavored cigars (infused) so you would want to have them separated. but you could also control temp by adding ice packs to the cooler along with humidity packs to control RH. 100+- quart igloo would hold all of your 300 cigars I believe, and would be more sturdy than the Tupperware type containers. IMHO!