What's new

MRI update

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
some of you know of my left shoulder/neck problems i've been dealing with the past number of years. being work-related, the county sent me in for a qualified medical examination (qme). included were MRI's....

the results are in. one of the discs in the neck is buldged, and is pressing on the spinal chord. per the dr., this is not good. so, i'll be consulting with a neurosurgeon in the near future.

oh, and, i have a tear in my rotator cuff.

doc advised for me to go on 'light duty.' no thank you. i'm doing just fine!
so, i'm in the 'business as usual' mode until i'm told differently.

not really sure what all of this means, though i have to admit it is a tad bit concerning.... guess i'm getting old. thankfully, not as old as Bob! :peace:

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Glad to hear it's not serious but that bulged disk isn't something to be taken lightly. My dad had one and just one wrong move or trip and fall and bam most excruciating pain of your life. Hope everything works out for the best, take care.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I had rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder about a year ago. I don't mean to scare you away from having the surgery, but the pain after the surgery (and the physical therapy for months afterwards) was absolutely excruciating! Some of the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. I'm a big guy (6'3" & 255 lbs.) and I've always thought I had a pretty high pain tolerance, but I'm telling you - it hurt like hell! I'm still glad I did it because my shoulder is much better now, but be prepared going in if you decide to pull the trigger...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Yummy... I think I will continue to see my Chiropractor every other week....Helps in the short term.... Pain = no beuno

Last edited:

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Sorry to hear man, neck problems are never fun! I know how you feel though... I had 2 herniated discs in my neck (little different than bulged) when I was in high school which was caused from a bad accident.

Needless to say, I've dealt with neck issues my entire life now. Never excruciating pain, but the severity of pain comes and goes. I just learned to deal with it. I go to a chiropractor once every two months or so which really helps. Not the traditional kind of chiropractor where they do sudden jerks of your body as I would never allow that on my neck, but a method called the Activator Method. You might want to look into it once you have a clear idea of what's going on with your neck and things settle down. They use a tool that reminds me of a syringe where there is a little hard rubber pad at the bottom of the tool where it comes to a flat 1/2" point. You lay on your stomach and the Dr lifts your feet up and can tell if your spine is out of alignment. He then uses the tool where needed based on what he feels. The tool pulls up on a spring and lets it go right on the needed spot. It doesn't hurt at all and there's no sudden jerking of your body.

Here is the website explaining the technique and I think they have chiropractor locators by area. http://www.activator.com/chiropractic-conditions/activator-explained/

I learned of this method because I needed it during football and I went to the chiropractor that worked on all the Vikings players and other celebrities in Minneapolis. I probably wouldn't have trusted this if it weren't for all the high profile clients. I highly recommend this type of chiropractor as I hate the traditional kind as it scares me when dealing with the neck.

Good luck to you!

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Geesh. I've rehabbed hundreds of cuff repairs. They aren't pleasant but most stories are overblown
IDK, man. TBH, I thought it wouldn't be that bad either, but it really was. I was also scoped & had an acromioplasty, so maybe that made it worse in my particular case, but I honestly wouldn't wish the pain that I experienced on my worst enemy! A year later, I'm just now getting back to 100%....

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hope you get it sorted as quickly and painlessly as possible.

In the meantime for your own sake, as you should be on light duties, you must send me all your large ring gauge cigars immediately !

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
well, i'm not too thrilled. gonna hook up w/Bob for some of his PT!! folk here at work are saying 6+ months of rehab. yuk.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Good luck bro I've been dealing with a disc in my neck and back or a while now and let me tell you it will get better just need some lifestyle adjustments and a good chiropractor. I prefer them cracking/adjusting my neck to the activator method so if you do decide to go this route after the nuero consult do look into both options and see what you prefer.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Does this cancel the snowmobile trip?
hell no! He's still going. I've got one guy with a totally destroyed knee that is putting off his major surgery to go, so Jeffy will be fine! He's gonna be on trails mostly anyhow, I doubt he will follow me into the trees for some real riding -

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Randy! you are correct!! i won't follow you into the trees. i'm using the rehab for my back to strenghten my core, grip, and legs. i will be ready!!

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Wow Jeff I just saw this Bro,Sorry to hear this , Keep up with ur PT and keep us posted .....

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
some of you know of my left shoulder/neck problems i've been dealing with the past number of years. being work-related, the county sent me in for a qualified medical examination (qme). included were MRI's....

the results are in. one of the discs in the neck is buldged, and is pressing on the spinal chord. per the dr., this is not good. so, i'll be consulting with a neurosurgeon in the near future.

oh, and, i have a tear in my rotator cuff.

doc advised for me to go on 'light duty.' no thank you. i'm doing just fine!
so, i'm in the 'business as usual' mode until i'm told differently.

not really sure what all of this means, though i have to admit it is a tad bit concerning.... guess i'm getting old. thankfully, not as old as Bob! :peace:
Glad to hear you have a diagnosis. Bob? Where's Bob?