What's new

Must try NC list ?

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
So which brands best represent each country and are readily available and affordable (whatever that means)? I'll give it a shot with my limited knowledge, but I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks.

Dominican - Fuente (Sungrown)

Honduran - Camacho (Corojo)

Nicaraguan - Oliva (V) - I'd love to go with a Tat or Illusione here, but I'm thinking about availability.
The problem here is that the flavour profile from, let's take Dominican Republic, that country alone is a whole world on it's own. Given the diverse leaves, growing methods, curing and fermentation processes,... ye have an inmense variety of flavours on a country by itself; not to mention cigars made by tobacco from different places.

EDIT - It's gonna be a bloody long list, in a nut.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
EDIT - It's gonna be a bloody long list, in a nut.
I don't think anyone expects a definitive list, but it would be pretty informative for me too. I hadn't even heard of some of the favorites here (including Tatuaje) until a week ago.

Rockcigar

motorcycleXcigarXguitar
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some good fuentes as well I just tend toward the smokes on my list. I would certainly try some of those If you haven't yet. The brother asking is in Honk Kong, the land of the Habanos, so I figure only give the really good stuff. There are lots more.
\
Cabiguan is another that comes to mind
Thanks dpricenator, yes in Hong Kong we only find Habanos, but they are expensive :bangbang:.

To give you a feel of the price, here it is: If i buy one stick of Cohiba Siglo II here in HK, it cost around HKD180, I can purchase 6 packs of cigarettes (6 x 20 = 120 cigarettes) with the same amount. Tax on Tobacco & alcohol here in HK, should be 200%.:tazerblas

Rockcigar

motorcycleXcigarXguitar
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all bros here, thanks to dpricenator, caseabb, Hendy, madsimon, Mitch, jmatkins, sauzatime, Moro, srduggins, angry Bill, Boston Matt,

I just summarized all those suggestions from all bros, and here they are, I hope I can hunt them all down, and find out which one fits my personal taste, I guess that is one of the beauty of smoking cigars, to try, to taste, and follow your own judgement and pick your favourite ~!

You guys are the best, very very kind and helpful~!

1) Tatuaje all, Red & Brown
2) Pepin Blue and Black
3) OPUS X
4) La Requeza
5) Illusiones
6) Padron 1964 and 1926
7) Funete line (Sungrown)
8) VSG
9) Anejos
10) Cabiguan Guapo line
11) Fuente King B & Short Story
12) La Aurora 100 Anos
13) Olivia Series V & G
14) Padilla Signature 1932
15) Don Pepin JJ Maduro
16) Padron x000 as well as Anniversary
17) Asthon ESG
18) La Flor Dominicana Doble Ligero
19) Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur
20) Dunhill Signed Range
21) Camacho (Corojo) (Honduran)

P.S. ~~~ Mitch, just PM you, please check mail.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I like Moro's suggestion to hit it on a country by country basis, kinda like a greatest hits album or something. But i think you need a representation across the flavor and strength spectrums (plus a good sample of wrapper types) as most of the stuff listed previously are stronger than many Cubans. Here's my two cents:

Dominican Republic
- Davidoff (Special Series or Millennium Blend), AVO Domaine, La Aurora Preferidos Cameroon, La Flor Dominicana (Cameroon Cabinet, Double Ligero, or LG Diez) - sorry not a big Fuente fan

Honduras - Hoyo de Tradicion from HdM, Camacho (the Diploma line has the best quality), maybe a Carlos Torano, Rocky Patel in there too (some are made in Honduras). And you might as well try a Puros Indios (a very unusual taste profile - many do not like it)

Nicaragua
- ah, this is where the hottest cigars are coming from... Oliva, Padron (the Maduros taste better to me), La Riqueza and Cabaiguan. Go ahead and try Joya de Nicaragua (an Antano) while you're at it.

Bahamas - Graycliff (try the Red Label and the Espresso for the range in flavor)

Costa Rica - Bucanero - my recommendation would be the Treasures of Costa Rica cigar (it's a puro), or the Canon Cubano or Don Douglas

Brazil - Most likely will have to try a Dona Flor (puro) or many maduros use a Brazilian Mata Fina or Aripiraca wrapper (CAO Brazilia or Sopranos or even a Butera Royal Vintage - whichever is the Maduro one...)

Columbia - Bravo Cigars Columbian Gold (only puro I know)

Mexico - many use Mexican leaves as binder, but to get the Mexican experience I would suggest a Te-Amo or A. Turrent. Mexican tobacco is a love or hate thing. Most hate it.

Ecuador - haven't tried any cigars MADE in Ecuador (although there is one called Capa Fina), but there are many that feature wrappers from there - mostly Ecuadorian Connecticut and Sumatra varieties.

USA - we're now talking boutiques here... Tatuaje Cazadores, Don Pepin White Labels, El Titan de Bronze, Moore & Bode, La Luna and the list goes on. Also our two big leaves are Connecticut Shade and Connecticut Broadleaf - these can be found on TONS of cigars.

I would recommend you try Puros first, then some of the blends. Plus there are a ton of other wrappers you must try. Go to my blog here (http://zencigar.wordpress.com/the-art-of-the-cigar/the-definitive-i-hope-cigar-wrapper-guide/) for some more examples to try and other wrapper types.

I would also say not everything listed above would hold a candle to a good Cuban, but there are many good cigars listed above, and I would agree with many in the lists the other Brothers have made for high QUALITY examples of Non-Cubans.

I mostly put this list out so that you can get an idea of the range in taste (and quality) from country to country if you are into that.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Zen's list is exactly what I had thought about! Maybe add some cigars from the other side of the pond (Europe, Africa and Asia)...

Rockcigar

motorcycleXcigarXguitar
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, Thank you Zen cigar man & Moro, holly this list is getting bigger and bigger, and much much more information~!!!! Yes, agree to the idea that I should sample different flavor and strength spectrums ~!! Excellent information~!!

Cheers~!

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
USA - we're now talking boutiques here... Tatuaje Cazadores, Don Pepin White Labels, El Titan de Bronze, Moore & Bode, La Luna and the list goes on. Also our two big leaves are Connecticut Shade and Connecticut Broadleaf - these can be found on TONS of cigars.
Great list, Zen. About the USA cigars, though: the Tats and Pepins you listed are Nicaraguan puros. There are some great cigars rolled here, but I'm not aware of any handmade puros made from US-grown tobacco.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
They are Nic puros but they are made in Miami, that's why he put them in the USA category.
Yeah, but I think the tobacco origin is the more important part. For example, Illusiones and some Padrons are made in Honduras with Nicaraguan tobacco. I'd consider those Nicaraguan cigars, not Honduran cigars.

Rating - 94.5%
85   3   0
I completely understand your point, however, if you notice on retail sites that they list cigars by where they are manufactured. For instance a cigar might be a Nicaraguan puro but manufactured in the D. R. That cigar would be listed as a dominican cigar and then the wrapper, binder, filler would be listed as well. I haven't taken the time to find a link with an example of this but I know it works that way in most cases.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Great list, Zen. About the USA cigars, though: the Tats and Pepins you listed are Nicaraguan puros. There are some great cigars rolled here, but I'm not aware of any handmade puros made from US-grown tobacco.
I see where you are coming from but my list was a little broader not just puros, although i do think puros would be the best way to start.

Oh, i made a mistake too. Bucaneros used to be made in Costa Rica, but are now made in Nicaragua, but they still use Don Douglas' blends so I figure that counts. Don TuTu is the only other Costa Rican puro I can think of but they are bundle cigars.

There are some US puros - most of them are not very good. For example I believe Moniemakers are all US tobacco as well as A. Pontillo 1776 cigar and an old OneOff line wall all Pennsylvanian tobacco.

Rockcigar

motorcycleXcigarXguitar
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, this thread is very informative and educational to a newbie like me, at this moment, I'm totally fallen into the slippery slope of Cigars' world~!!! I think I really need to take more time to read and learn more about it~!!!

Again, thanks to all Bros~!!