What's new

My first attempt at brewing espresso* at home.

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
So my fiance got an early wedding gift at work today. A Capresso 4 cup machine and some Illy coffee. So of course we had to test it out tonight. I think I ended up making a latte, mostly espresso and milk, I couldn't get it to foam as well as I would have liked. I'm sure it just takes practice. The good news is that my coffee was more than drinkable, I'm going to be awake all night, and I have a new toy to play with. lol.

Last edited:

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Very cool....

Ive got to get off my lazy butt and figure out espresso one of these days.... thats what I order 90% of the time when I am in a coffee shop.. but have never attempted it at home (no machine.. etc...)...

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
We have one as well. I can't for the life of me get it to froth/foam like I want. Like you said, it's probably just practice. I gotta say though, it is nice to be able to do it at home.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a fancy machine, but I have friends and co-workers that do. I still use the Napoletana pots, I have 3 different sizes. I think you get the best flavor/quality from them, but the convenience factor is incredibly low, which means I do not make it as often as I would like.

I'm old school and fight against the at home machines, but I think I am going to end up getting one in the near future for convenience alone.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Please don't take this the wrong way, but what you made is definitely not true Italian espresso....not even close really. Illy has some of the worst, pre-ground, stalest coffee around & if you're not using the highest end Capresso machine, it's prolly just a "steam toy" that can't possibly produce enough pressure to properly extract true espresso.

What model machine is it? What grinder are you using? What's your address so I can at least send you some "real" coffee? :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Please don't take this the wrong way, but what you made is definitely not true Italian espresso....not even close really. Illy has some of the worst, pre-ground, stalest coffee around & if you're not using the highest end Capresso machine, it's prolly just a "steam toy" that can't possible produce enough pressure to properly extract true espresso.

What model machine is it? What grinder are you using? What's your address so I can at least send you some "real" coffee? :)

Now you've angered the coffee gods.
RUN!

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Please don't take this the wrong way, but what you made is definitely not true Italian espresso....not even close really. Illy has some of the worst, pre-ground, stalest coffee around & if you're not using the highest end Capresso machine, it's prolly just a "steam toy" that can't possible produce enough pressure to properly extract true espresso.

I'm taking it the wrong way even though it wasn't addressed to me and I don't have a capresso and I have no good reason, but I'm doing it anyway.

brandoncpm

BoM Nov '13
Rating - 100%
231   0   0

RUN!
HaHa. He's definitely in trouble now

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0

I'm taking it the wrong way even though it wasn't addressed to me and I don't have a capresso and I have no good reason, but I'm doing it anyway.
Just so I'm clear, which Ara am I dealing with here? :)

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0

We are all taking this the wrong way.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0

We are all taking this the wrong way.
I agree. (and I do need to try something new for coffee - see, I don't always highjack threads. My machine is getting old and I'm tired of the taste.)

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Please don't take this the wrong way, but what you made is definitely not true Italian espresso....not even close really. Illy has some of the worst, pre-ground, stalest coffee around & if you're not using the highest end Capresso machine, it's prolly just a "steam toy" that can't possibly produce enough pressure to properly extract true espresso.

I got this pm incoming

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
RUN!
I figured that was coming. I've had this conversation with javaman before when I was looking to add a machine to our registry. It's not the one I added but it still makes a better cup of coffee than my drip machine.

Javaman, it's a Capresso 303.01 4 Cup Espresso & Cappuccino Machine. The grinder I added to our registry was a Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill, we also have the same one in our breakroom at work, but I've never used it. The Illy was the only thing I had that was ground fine enough to even attempt to use. There's a place right down the street from me called Cartel, they roast their own beans in house. I was thinking of stopping in there to see if they would grind the beans for me if I bought a bag. As far as my address, it looks like Agentskull already threw me under the bus.

I'm looking at this as a "gateway" machine, I'm sure at some point I'll step up and buy a big boy machine.

Next time I'll fix Espresso* in my title
*Under pressurized, coffee flavored espresso substitute :smile: