What's new

My First Ribs

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I had nothing better to do today, so on a whim I went to the supermarket and bought some ribs. I have never cooked these and don't have a smoker, but I think I came out with pretty good results.

I started by par-boiling the ribs for 30 minutes in water/vinegar/spices. Then I heated up the grill to low, put the ribs in a pans with racks in them and put the par-boiling liquid into the bottom. I let that cook on the grill at low temp for about 3 hours.

In the meantime I said to myself "OK, I didn't buy sauce for this, so I gotta improvise and make some." Here is what I ended up using:
Ketchup
Apple Cider Vinegar
Soy Sauce
Honey & Brown sugar
Juice from half a lime
Chipotle and cayenne powder
And to top it all off I splashed in a generous amount of rum and cooked it on the stove for a while.

Slathered them babies up and put them on the direct grill for 5 minutes a side and here is what I ended up with:

I was afraid I would screw this up never having done it, but it came out pretty damn tasty and tender.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Bball is a master at Ribs. I thought I had it down. Used his recipe on Fathers Day and blew everone away.

Those do look tasty though. Nicely done.

Fidel

Deceased Dictator
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Beautiful job! They look very tasty:drool:
I`m a bit of a BBQ fanatic myself. If you got results like that your first time out - not to mention flying by the seat of your pants - then you just might be a natural at this.
Next time you do some Q, send me some and I`ll write a review:stretchgr

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Well Joshua, i don't know how good they really were not having tates them, but they sure look good.

And as far as how good they "really" are, well, as long as you and whoever ate them liked them, then they were plenty good enough.

The down side of that is that no matter how many times you make them, you can always find ways to improve them, or at least that's what i've found.

If you want some tips for some non-smoked ribs, let me know, cuz i made ribs in the oven and on the grill for years before i started smoking them.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
One mistake I made is when I was adding the chipotle powder a huge clump kinda fell into the sauce. So they have quite a bit of kick.

All the store had was "country style" pork shoulder (butt) which means its mostly meat, so all the leftovers I can use to make sandwiches for the next few days. Yum.

I'll probably be cooking up another batch at some point over the summer using the grill, so any tips on the method I was using might be handy.

Fidel

Deceased Dictator
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
One mistake I made is when I was adding the chipotle powder a huge clump kinda fell into the sauce. So they have quite a bit of kick...
You say this like it`s a bad thing. Sounds like a happy accident to me:smokingme

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
ok Joshua, here's how i've done non-smoked ribs and gotten the best results.

Using baby backs or spare ribs will work.

Put on a dry rub of your choice.
Wrap the entire rack of ribs in 2 layers of cellophane
Wrap that in one layer of aluminum foil. i've laways used heavy duty foil, but not sure if it matters.
Refreigerate overnite to allow the rub flavors to mesh.
The next day...
Pull the ribs out of the fridge and allow to "cool" to room temperature, or about an hour. (This isn't 100% necessary, but it does facilitate a more even cook)
Cook in the oven, curved side up, at 250 deg for 3-4 hours.
Remove from oven, remove foil and remove cellophane
Put on the grill and barbeque as normal.

Tips while on the grill...
Use moderately high heat. When you put the bbq sauce on, don't flip them until the sauce has started to carmalize and thcken. if you flip em too early, the sauce just falls right off. Then flip and repeat sauce application as much as desired.

The cellophane/oven technique produces a texture similar to pressure cooked ribs. The bones will slide right out and so will that membrane that holds the meat to the bone. These are easily the most tender ribs you uwill ever make.

This is how i did it for years til i discovered smoking. If your ordering ribs from a restaurant that doens't have a pit that you can see, then 9 times out of 10 theyr'e pressure cooking. That other 1 time out of 10, the ribs are precooked in New Jersey, vaccuum packed and shipped to that restaurant so they can reheat them.

Rest assured though, the above method will have people thinking you know what the hell you're doing, assuming those poeple aren't rib snobs like myself.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
ok Joshua, here's how i've done non-smoked ribs and gotten the best results.

Using baby backs or spare ribs will work.

Put on a dry rub of your choice.
Wrap the entire rack of ribs in 2 layers of cellophane
Wrap that in one layer of aluminum foil. i've laways used heavy duty foil, but not sure if it matters.
Refreigerate overnite to allow the rub flavors to mesh.
The next day...
Pull the ribs out of the fridge and allow to "cool" to room temperature, or about an hour. (This isn't 100% necessary, but it does facilitate a more even cook)
Cook in the oven, curved side up, at 250 deg for 3-4 hours.
Remove from oven, remove foil and remove cellophane
Put on the grill and barbeque as normal.

Tips while on the grill...
You moderately high heat. When you put the bbq sauce on, don't flip them until the sauce has started to carmalize. Then flip and repeat as much as desired.

The cellophane/oven technique produces a texture similar to pressure cooked ribs. The bones will slide right out and so will that membrane that holds the meat to the bone. These are easily the most tender ribs you uwill ever make.

This is how i did it for years til i discovered smoking. If your ordering ribs from a restaurant that doens't have a pit that you can see, then 9 times out of 10 theyr'e pressure cooking. That other 1 time out of 10, the ribs are precooked in New Jersey, vaccuum packed and shipped to that restaurant.

Rest assured though, the above method will have people thinking you know what the hell you're doing, assuming those poeple aren't smoked food snobs like myself.

Thanks for the tips.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Ya thanks, I will have to try those soon. MMMM ribs...