What's new

My first wooden humidor. What now???

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first humidor is a Herf-a-dor. All plastic. This one is a cheapo made in Indonesia 50 count wooden humidor with a gauge that I probably can't trust (I am ordering a high quality digital one right now as we speak).

I am getting conflicting advice. The guy at the cigar store told me to just put in my humidifier element and moisturize it with the solution like I have been doing to the one in my Herf-a-dor. However, a friend of mine who smokes cigars and who has given me advice of dubious quality has told me to first soak the new wooden humidor in water. Totally submerge it, then wipe off the excess water, then load it with cigars and put my element in there etc.

What say you?

adodson

linux geek
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The sticky at the top of this forum has all the low-down.

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=3277

Submerging could warp it, which may make the seal worse. However, the seal doesn't have to be perfect, and if it's a cheapie.... well. Still, I wouldn't submerge it. Just put an open container of distilled water in there for a few weeks.

In the meantime, if you have sticks to keep, just use your humidification device and hygrometer in a resealable "tupperware" container thingy. Works like a charm. Ugly, but very functional.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've heard some funny things in my short time smoking cigars, but submerging the humidor takes the cake. Except the cake isn't edible, as it's covered in water.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
What a fucking idiot that guy is. Sorry, but why would you totally submerge . . .

never mind.

Take a shot glass or two of distilled water and let it sit in the humidor for a few weeks. You are wise to get a good hygrometer. When you get the humidity at the level you want it consistantly, then you can add your cigars to it. You should check the seal on the humidor as well. You should hear a "whoosh" when you close the lid. If it just goes "clank" then the seal is not good and you will struggle to keep constant rh.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
i don't get it. why would you ever submerge a wooden box in water? i remember when i used to do martial arts, we would prepare breaking boards by soaking them overnight in water, it made them easier to break...

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I can only see that freak filling up his bathtub to "soak" his avallo.

see, this is why i say, lets just remove ALL warning labels off everything and let nature take it's course.
this is just too funny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
What a fucking idiot that guy is. Sorry, but why would you totally submerge . . .QUOTE]

What your not suppose to do that? :dunno:

I thought this is how it was done. In fact I threw my cabinet in my parents pool for a couple days to season the wood. I haven't seen anything wrong, but now that I think about it the humidor use to stand straight up and not it looks like the letter "r". Could that be the reason?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping he meant you shoudl submerge the humidification device, but i'm just trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I'm hoping he meant you shoudl submerge the humidification device, but i'm just trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.
that would make more sense. but what makes even more sense is order some beads and throw the original humidification device out.